LRRcast - Injuries Part 1

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

LRRcast - Injuries Part 1

Postby Paul » 22 Jan 2015, 16:46

Paul, Graham, and Kathleen recount the stories behind some of their best/worst physical injuries.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Re: LRRcast - Injuries Part 1

Postby romangoro » 22 Jan 2015, 19:22

I don't know about Victoria, but around here the wood you knock on must not have legs. So Graham's doesn't count.
Senstaku
First Video: The Job

Postby Senstaku » 22 Jan 2015, 21:59

Unfortunately, not all of us were so lucky as to escape childhood with so few injuries. While I never broke a bone, I've got a laundry list of pain from the distant past to now.

Funnily enough, I've got a very similar injury on my middle finger as Paul's, though the cause is different and it didn't leave any lasting damage aside from a scar fortunately.
I stream five times a week! Fri, Sat, & Sun 9-12, Mon & Wed 8-11
twitch.tv/senstaku

I also do a podcast!
senstaku.podbean.com

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Jan 2015, 07:23

romangoro wrote:I don't know about Victoria, but around here the wood you knock on must not have legs. So Graham's doesn't count.

Never heard that one before. As far as I've ever being told, so long as it's wood, it counts.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
romangoro

Postby romangoro » 23 Jan 2015, 08:09

Master Gunner wrote:
romangoro wrote:I don't know about Victoria, but around here the wood you knock on must not have legs. So Graham's doesn't count.

Never heard that one before. As far as I've ever being told, so long as it's wood, it counts.

To be fair, I'm from a pretty different culture and enven then the legs thing is not universal.

But for example, a few days ago talking with my brothers while sitting on a wooden table I mentioned a band we consider unlucky (they had too many dead members in a few years) and they both got up to knock on the door's wood, since that has no legs.

It's also the usual answer to knocking on your own head as "wood".
Aarhg
First Video: I have no idea, but I probably liked it.

Postby Aarhg » 23 Jan 2015, 11:03

romangoro wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:

To be fair, I'm from a pretty different culture and enven then the legs thing is not universal.

But for example, a few days ago talking with my brothers while sitting on a wooden table I mentioned a band we consider unlucky (they had too many dead members in a few years) and they both got up to knock on the door's wood, since that has no legs.

It's also the usual answer to knocking on your own head as "wood".

Where I'm from, it must be a table, doesn't matter what material, and you knock on the underside of the table. It's funny how these old "traditions" deviate across cultures.

One of my most memorable self-inflicted injuries was when I was around 10 years old. I was out getting groceries with my mom at the place we would usually go. I noticed the store had just gotten some sweet new kid-sized shopping carts, so I grabbed one.
After a few minutes, I somehow managed to ride it around, much like one would a little scooter. But of course that could only go wrong. I flipped backwards and caught both of my thumbs under the handle, taking off a good bit of skin on both of them.
That was pretty bad, but again, I kinda asked for it. I don't have any scars from it though.
Last edited by Aarhg on 23 Jan 2015, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Jan 2015, 11:09

FYI, the video Graham was talking about is "The Process".
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
romangoro

Postby romangoro » 23 Jan 2015, 12:57

Come to think about it, my worst injury does'n thave much of a story, I cut a slice of my finger while cutting some vegetables. The only extra bit was that I had to clean it really fast or what I already had on the fire would burn.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Jan 2015, 15:09

I fell out of a tree on to a cactus once. I think that's the worst injury I've ever had.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 23 Jan 2015, 15:55

It didn't happen to me, but one of my coursemates at university recently cut his own finger off getting it stuck in the gap between bar and support whilst weightlifting. It's now been reattached, but the snapchat pictures I was shown were both macabre and hilarious.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 24 Jan 2015, 01:36

I grew up in (and still live in) a rural area and I share the same thing that I never broke a bone as a child, despite everyone seeming to at some point. Only I was a real outside kid and did heaps of stupid stuff.

It wasn't until late high school and getting hit by a car that I broke a bone (quite a few then), and then never again since there. Some people just naturally have stronger bones, so they don't break as easy, Graham might just be one of them.

Glad to see no-one, on this lrrcast at least, has ever had a truly serious injury.
HeyZootie
First Video: Commodore Hustle

Postby HeyZootie » 24 Jan 2015, 09:45

Welcome to the first episode of Assbusters, starting Graham, Kathleen, and Paul! Today they will try to prove or disprove whether you really can wreck your sh8 making internet comedy videos.

First up, the infamous skateboard nunchuck jousting scene! Take it away, Graham!
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 24 Jan 2015, 16:23

I remember the story of Paul's hand in the Three PS3's LRRcast (possibly a bunch of others from that time too) and the splint's visible in contemporaneous videos (like the gag in Three PS3's video).

Morbidly looking forward to the next installment of this one.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 24 Jan 2015, 19:29

My father convinced me when I was 12-ish to sign up for a kid's drag racing league. I lasted 3 heats before flipping my racer and breaking my collar bone.

We sold the racer immediately after. I was not ready to be driving at that age, even if it was only a straight line at 55 MPH.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 24 Jan 2015, 20:04

I was lucky enough to not have many close calls but, I have slipped and smashed right through my laundry window without a scratch, being spear tackled in rugby (as in, raising me beyond 180 degrees and planting my head into the ground) walked away with a concussion.

My cousin has not been so lucky and shattered his finger when he slipped. He currently has a carbon fiber attachment to retain shape and some function in his middle finger.
Last edited by ZePancakes on 25 Jan 2015, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Aarhg
First Video: I have no idea, but I probably liked it.

Postby Aarhg » 24 Jan 2015, 21:07

My dad split his hand open with a giant metal plate once, when he was working on an oil rig. He did wear safety gloves, but the metal plate didn't seem to care about that.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Jan 2015, 23:47

I broke my femur when I was four falling off a scooter in Connecticut. I spent over two months.

When I was in high school I ran into a door and put my head, arm and shoulder through the glass window in the door. I received a wide but shallow cut to my shoulder and a cut to my wrist which caused me to freak out. Thankfully the cut to the wrist did not damage any nerves or tendons but it did leave me a scare that looks a little like I tried to slit my wrist.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 26 Jan 2015, 11:42

Graham, I know your pain. Except my knee went into my eye. Luckily, the knee is larger than the eye socket, so it just slammed the region but didn't hit into the eye.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Banzai_Tree

Postby Banzai_Tree » 02 Mar 2015, 22:54

I've never broken a bone in my body despite being in scouts since I was 7 and generally being pretty outdoors-y, if not very much into sports.

Though, I did bust my hand while working a summer job after high school but before starting at uni. I was mowing lawns and other general stuff like that for a local company which also meant riding in the back of the van while the regular crew sat at the front.

One friday we were going back to the garage after the day's work. The garage had large metal doors on both ends, making it a wind-tunnel when both ends were open. So I was getting out of the back of the van when the wind picked up through the garage/tunnel, slamming the big double doors behind us shut.

My brain had just enough time to go "I'll catch it with my hand" and "Oh shit, this is a really dumb idea". I narrowly avoided blacking out from the pain that ensued. A co-worker drove me to a hospital and I got my hand x-rayed. We had to wait for a while because the doctor had to take a second look at the x-rays because he couldn't believe my hand wasn't broken with it being swollen to roughly twice it's normal size and sporting all the colors of the rainbow due to all the bruising.

But in the end I got a week of sick-leave with pain meds for the hand with a brace to keep it steady. Of course the week off was when I was supposed to go away for a scout camp and I'd asked for that week off from work. There's only a barely visible scar on the back my left hand, the lucky bit being that the doors slammed on the back of my hand, instead of the more fragile wrist or fingers.

Return to “LRRcast”