Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby Tinfish » 21 Jan 2015, 02:52

What is everyone's favourite Commander? There are so many legendary creatures, I have no idea what most of them even are. Right now I'm liking the looks of Oros, the Avenger, but that might be entirely due to the art. Still, an aggressive white token-based deck seems like it could be a thing, backed up with burn and creature killing. Maybe some equipment to give Oros trample, make it easier for him to damage things?
It's fish in a tin!
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 21 Jan 2015, 12:11

Tinfish wrote:What is everyone's favourite Commander? There are so many legendary creatures, I have no idea what most of them even are. Right now I'm liking the looks of Oros, the Avenger, but that might be entirely due to the art. Still, an aggressive white token-based deck seems like it could be a thing, backed up with burn and creature killing. Maybe some equipment to give Oros trample, make it easier for him to damage things?

The thing that always bugs me about Oros is that if you aren't playing a lot of mono white or white/X creatures, you're just as likely to clear your own board as anyone else's.

My current favorite commander is probably the Mimeoplasm, because my version of the deck is all about clones.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 21 Jan 2015, 14:49

eostby wrote:
Tinfish wrote:What is everyone's favourite Commander? There are so many legendary creatures, I have no idea what most of them even are. Right now I'm liking the looks of Oros, the Avenger, but that might be entirely due to the art. Still, an aggressive white token-based deck seems like it could be a thing, backed up with burn and creature killing. Maybe some equipment to give Oros trample, make it easier for him to damage things?

The thing that always bugs me about Oros is that if you aren't playing a lot of mono white or white/X creatures, you're just as likely to clear your own board as anyone else's.

My current favorite commander is probably the Mimeoplasm, because my version of the deck is all about clones.

Yeah, but between Orzhov, Boros, Mardu, and plain ol' mono-white you've got plenty of creatures. Maybe add in some extra combat step spells so you can really abuse Oros' ability and you can just swing swing swing away with hordes of white and white-ish creatures.
It's fish in a tin!
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 22 Jan 2015, 12:24

So, having properly looked at Alesha now, I am super siked about building a deck around her. I may even have to get a second Lyzolda and Mogis for the deck. She seems exactly like the super sick aggro general I've always wanted.

Holy shit I just noticed she rezzes Master of Cruelties. I'm about to die from stupid shenanigans joy.

Edit: So I built this last night and just finished the mana base, which is probably a little off. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-dead-pool/# I'm pretty proud of this. I feel like it's one of my better built commander decks.
BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Postby BarcodeReader » 24 Jan 2015, 11:06

So this is that Narset Deck I was musing about earlier. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bow-to-y ... he-things/

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 25 Jan 2015, 09:34

So for my 5 colour commandre deck, do I play allies or slivers? I like both, but running both is a bad idea.
Quixotep
First Video: Schrodinger's Fridge

Postby Quixotep » 25 Jan 2015, 16:03

I like the idea of allies a little better myself, they make eachother bigger in a very sliver-y way, but generally don't cause as many tilts or table-flips. But hey, whichever is most fun, also I don't think there's a legendary 5-color ally so there's that.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 25 Jan 2015, 16:14

There isn't a 5 colour ally They're all mono colured. I'd just use Child of Alara or Sliver Hivelord to screw with people.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 25 Jan 2015, 16:19

Could use Karona the False God if you actually want additional synergy. But screwing with people is good too.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 25 Jan 2015, 21:26

Plus, going allies makes you less likely to be the first attacked. Slivers are feared for good reason, but in a multiplayer, you may be seen as a less high ranking enemy.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jan 2015, 06:05

If you go either Slivers or Allies, remember that Changelings count as either. Things like Avian Changeling, Changeling Hero, and Mirror Entity could be pretty good, no matter which route you go.

Champion Changelings like Changeling Hero could get you three ETB triggers for your Allies, if you go that route. Your initial Ally enters and triggers Allies. Then, later, the Champion Changeling enters, triggers allies and exiles one of your Allies. Then, if/when the Champion Changeling dies, the original Ally you played enters again, for a third Ally trigger.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 26 Jan 2015, 06:16

I was actually going to have more of a clone and flicker theme with the allies. I want them to be Esper, but I lack an Esper legend. I don't mind any colour combo, but I feel Blue is the best as it has Halimar Excavator and Umara Raptor. I'd forget red completely and play 4 colour if such a legend was real. It's a toss up between black and green, and I feel like Agadeem Occultist is better then Harabaaz? Druid
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 08 Feb 2015, 04:54

So I built a U/G deck with Kruphix as the commander, being my favorite Theros God: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/death-by-horizons/

Any thoughts? I was focusing on flavor first and mechanics second.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 08 Feb 2015, 06:20

Phi wrote:So I built a U/G deck with Kruphix as the commander, being my favorite Theros God: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/death-by-horizons/

Any thoughts? I was focusing on flavor first and mechanics second.

I'm not sure what your theme is, other than green/blue cool stuff.

There is some good +1/+1 counter interactions going on, but I think you need more to justify Vorel & the Mages: Feral Hydra (great if you can bring charisma & politics to your games), Increasing Savagery, Soul's Presence, Vastwood Hydra, Strength of the Tajuru (I think there is another "X +1/+1" spell, but can't recall it right now), etc. Also if you're going this route, look into Gilder Bairn, Fathom Mage and Doubling Season.

I'd also recommend more mana ramp to really make the most of Kru's ability.

And why Cancel when you could Counterspell?
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 08 Feb 2015, 06:35

eostby wrote:Could use Karona the False God if you actually want additional synergy. But screwing with people is good too.

Seconding this. I've always wanted to try a Karona Vow God-tribal deck.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 09 Feb 2015, 06:18

BarcodeReader wrote:How do you guys deal with overly competitive commander players? Granted, I was playing at a Grand Prix, but I didn't realize how competitive it could get in the "casual" side events, and I am *not* a competitive commander player.

I'm firmly of the opinion that everyone needs to have an asshole deck waiting in the wings. Turn 3 Sharuum combo? sure! Zedruu prison/stasis? Go for it! Competitive Nekusar? Why not!? Just make sure that it's something you like playing normally style-wise, and go for it.

Also, I'm of the opinion that there's really no such thing as an overly-competitive player; just people who have difficulty moderating their play to keep it in line with the group they're playing in.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 13 Feb 2015, 08:24

So I've been thinking about turning my Narset deck into a Shu Yun deck because Nerset is kinda boring as a commander unless I do a major revamp and have her as a voltron deck, but I'm not sure how I'd do a Shu Yun deck at all. Suggestions?
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 13 Feb 2015, 09:41

How to do a Shu Yun deck: Prowess, prowess, tokens. Beyond that, probably good to include the jeskai ascendency combo, just because it works, and each of the pieces, save for the 0 mana artifacts you use to trigger it, are also hella useful. There aren't that many Prowess creatures, which is why I recommend tokens, and you want spells you can cast multiple times. If you have 6 extra mana per turn, and you have a riptide chimera and an ephara's enlightenement, then you have a prowess trigger every turn, plus a +1/+1 counter every turn.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 13 Feb 2015, 09:46

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I've been thinking about turning my Narset deck into a Shu Yun deck because Nerset is kinda boring as a commander unless I do a major revamp and have her as a voltron deck, but I'm not sure how I'd do a Shu Yun deck at all. Suggestions?

Domineering Will (and similar lure effects) and Reckless Charge, Brute Force, etc. to required size.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 13 Feb 2015, 09:48

Also Kiln Fiend, Wee Dragonauts, etc.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 16 Feb 2015, 08:03

Thanks for the advice. I've been wanting to build a weird deck with all the creatures who's P/T can flip.

I think I've broken Tiny leaders slightly (Not sure if this is the place for it, but It makes since for it to be the place). Marath costs 3 mana. Him plus lots of ramp and hydras = A deck that isn't aggro. Does that woork?
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 16 Feb 2015, 10:48

There are a fair few decent TL control decks, Maralen hand attack can be particularly evil if played well, (but it can be a very difficult deck to pilot).

Marath sounds like a lot of fun though, what's your list?
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 16 Feb 2015, 13:13

Marath Hydra midrange sounds like a delightfully silly concept. Should probably run Hardened Scales, since Marath has a kind-of-infinite combo with it. (Scales + Marath = 1, remove a counter from Marath: put 2 counters on target creature... which can be Marath)
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
HolisticBilfred
First Video: Bad News
Location: Tharg the Mighty's Dodecahedral Taxi and Shoe Cobbling Servicer, Brit-Cit

Postby HolisticBilfred » 16 Feb 2015, 14:13

I've been meaning to post my decks here for ages and see what people think, so let's begin with:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/weird-goings-on/

Hope you guys like it!
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 17 Feb 2015, 06:57

So here's the Marath TL deck that I just constructed in about half an hour http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-02-15 ... l-be-done/ I forgot bout the Hardened Scales combo, so I'll put that in at some point, but here it is for now. I might also put in Hammer of Purphoros or Swiftfoot Boots

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”