MR Ep01 - Please Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii

Kathleen and Graham guide you through 1980s action awesomeness.
Graham
Super Moderator

MR Ep01 - Please Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii

Postby Graham » 03 Feb 2015, 18:29

Episode 1 of the Magnum Rewatch podcast! Kathleen and Graham take you through the 2-part pilot, and let you in on some of the behind-the-scenes origins of everyone's favourite moustache-related action series.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: MR Ep01 - Please Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii

Postby Jamfalcon » 03 Feb 2015, 22:05

Well, that was unexpected, but a pretty interesting listen. I will definitely be continuing to listen!

Is this going to be a weekly thing (or some other regular schedule), or just new episodes whenever?
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 03 Feb 2015, 22:27

This will be a weekly show!
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 03 Feb 2015, 22:30

Neat! I'm looking forward to listening to this for the next threeish years. :D
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 03 Feb 2015, 23:53

In a similar vain to Kathleen I also watched a ton of Magnum in late high-school/university when the free-to-air channels here expanded and started re-running old series to fill up the new channels.

Really enjoyed this, looking forward to the next episode. The music in that first episode is weird, after showing the pilot the broadcaster must have told them to get a new music guy.

I saw on twitter one person asking if there was going to be a video version. I realise that this format isn't good for video and video would take even more work, but for people (like me) with hearing disabilities, having video allows me to read lips as I listen, meaning I don't misunderstand what is said. I didn't find that a problem with this episode though as you both speak clearly (and there's only two people and you never speak at the same time) and have a good audio setup. Just thought I would add that.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 04 Feb 2015, 00:25

Fair points. With just the two of us, and endeavoring to speak clearly, I hope the audio-only version should be enough.

Glad you liked it!
Ranneko
First Video: Checkpoint on PA

Postby Ranneko » 04 Feb 2015, 04:39

I am saddened by the lack of Magnum on netflix here, makes it much harder to follow on.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 04 Feb 2015, 07:22

I dont want this to sound like a "this is terrible" post but I left this episode confused maybe I just don't understand the concept of a re-watch.

I enjoyed the set up and description of the show and its place in 1980's America. I found Kathleens experiences with the show to be a intriguing incite into her past and personality development. I found the "behind the scenes information" to be good and interesting.

Grahams description of the episode seemed odd, again perhaps its just that I dont get a "re-watch" it seemed like a memory alpha description of a TNG Episode is that what its supposed to be? Are we supposed to have watched the episode first, is this supposed to replace watching the episode?

You sorta explained that rewatches were a thing but what are they?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Wolfwood723
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 04 Feb 2015, 08:24

Damn you guys and your interesting podcast. Now I have 8 seasons of a show to watch.

Fun podcast though, looking forward to future episodes.
ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
beowuuf
First Video: Can't remember! Binged them all so fast!

Postby beowuuf » 04 Feb 2015, 10:30

A few of the high profile rewatches I can think of right now is Kumail Nanjiani rewatching all of the x-files, and the roddenberry foundation's mission log where they are watching the whole of star trek - all series (even TOS animated)

The idea is to just discuss the episode as if you've either watched it in the past or are watching it now (they tend to recap or just talk through the episode point by point as Graham/Kathleen did), but good ones tend to be enoyable anyway. So much so you might decide to check out the show itself with insight, so start liking something you wouldn't have touched before.

I really enjoyed this! Came out of nowhere and was fun to recall magnum - I remembered far more of the pilot than I would have supposed. Anyway, this will definitely be in my queue going forwards :)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 04 Feb 2015, 11:26

Lord Hosk wrote:Grahams description of the episode seemed odd, again perhaps its just that I dont get a "re-watch" it seemed like a memory alpha description of a TNG Episode is that what its supposed to be? Are we supposed to have watched the episode first, is this supposed to replace watching the episode?
Yeah, you shouldn't have to watch the episodes. The idea is, we talk about and summarize it, and add our own opinions and spin to it.

Like… a funny review, but with spoilers, I guess?

As I understand the ones I've listened to, this is what a rewatch podcast is :D
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 05 Feb 2015, 05:19

A spleen isn't necessary for survival, although without one your chance of suddenly dying of a relatively minor infection increases somewhat (don't even worry about it.) The issue in trauma is that it is (relatively) easily injured and one can lose a lot of blood very rapidly (which is a bad thing.)
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 05 Feb 2015, 08:56

Sampy
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Sampy » 05 Feb 2015, 15:17

The ensign having a fancy car in the first episode actually is pretty accurate and makes a lot of sense.

I grew up in Virginia Beach right down the street from the biggest naval base on the east coast. Tons of young sailors had fast, loud cars. They could afford them because they lived on the ship which covers literally all of their living expenses. Their salary, while not giant, is basically 100% disposable income. Being young dudes in the military they often go with big, loud muscle cars. Given what you guys said about the executive producer, I saw this as yet another accurate tiny detail he put in.

Also cars are cool yo.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 06 Feb 2015, 07:18

I enjoyed this a whole ton. I grew up watching Magnum PI, and I would shave my beard and just keep the awesome 'stache if it didn't make me look like a pervert.

I did not know Magnum was on Netflix so... plans for the weekend are now set.

Edit: I knew I had been away from the forums for a long time, but I didn't realize it was three storming years O_o, also 1090 posts? I must have had a lot of free time back then.
PhoenixFoundation
First Video: Magnum Rewatch (not video I know)

Postby PhoenixFoundation » 13 Feb 2015, 23:13

Just started listening to these and I am already digging the show. I don't actually know Magnum that well, but I'm enjoying the show regardless.

I actually co-host a MacGyver rewatch podcast called Phoenix Foundation and it's a lot like what you guys are doing. We'll be covering a lot of the same guest stars as we go too. A cursory check of most of our rotating cast's imdb pages is usually peppered with Magnum appearances. We're also just starting.

Maybe down the line we could have you guys guest on our show somehow. How well do you know MacGyver? You can find our show at PhoenixFoundationPodcast.com. I'll be recommending yours to my co-host shortly.

First Ep notes:
From what little I recall of the show, Magnum is the only one who ever breaks the fourth wall to address the camera, but it will continue to happen. As for the nickname for flight attendants, I seem to recall an early trailer for Austin Powers with a scene that didn't end up in the movie wherein Austin refers to a flight attendant (played by SNL's Cheri Oteri) as a "sexy stewd" and she quickly corrects him. Fun fact: Shavar Ross, who will go on to play T.C.'s son, plays MacGyver's "little brother" in our pilot.

Overall:
What I appreciate most about your show is that its very clear you actually care about the series in an unironic way. It's what sets the worthwhile rewatch podcasts apart from the deluge of hatewatchers flooding iTunes. The only negative side effect I can imagine from inviting you guys to co-host an episode of Phoenix Foundation is confusing the listeners with my and Graham's suspiciously similar voices. I'm excited to watch Magnum on Netflix alongside you guys.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Feb 2015, 01:57

Thanks! Great feedback, and that means a lot.

We could totally do a guest appearance at some point :)
If only Magnum and Mac had done a crossover episode… you're not doing a Murder, She Wrote podcast too, are you?
PhoenixFoundation

Postby PhoenixFoundation » 14 Feb 2015, 12:37

Not even joking, I am now super-tempted.
PhoenixFoundation

Postby PhoenixFoundation » 14 Feb 2015, 12:41

Just reading about the "Novel Connection"/"Magnum on Ice" crossover you guys will be encountering mid-season 7. Looks like you'll be reviewing at least one of Lansbury's outings.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 17 Feb 2015, 00:22

I am surprised that Im actually enjoying this podcast. Ive never watched Magnum before but find this entertaining. Good job :)
Marcvs Avrelivs
First Video: The Mirror

Postby Marcvs Avrelivs » 29 Apr 2015, 13:46

Just as a note, I always assumed Rick's club kind of failed after reports of the owner gunning down a customer outside on the street with an Uzi. That kind of thing kind of kills business. And then Higgin's arranged for Rick to manage the Club Kamehameha to pay of the favour he owed.

That's my head canon, anyway.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 03 May 2015, 09:57

Actually I think the first 'rewatch' podcast (recap and commentary about a TV show) I'd encountered was Wil Wheaton's Memories of the Futurecast, some years ago (maybe before it was a proper thing?) I enjoyed it as much for the inside, behind-the-scenes stuff, since he was actually part of the cast of the show being examined. :)

These? FANTASTIC - I'd missed out on much of the first season, but Magnum was a must watch show for me. I remember walking out of a class in....oh BUS, was it Junior High?!? - and discussing the show (and the Ferrari, specifically) with my friends.

...so I was already a teenager when I started watching this show, first-run. Ow. Image
Scud422
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Scud422 » 19 May 2015, 16:06

I wasn't sure whether to put this into an existing thread or to ruin the look of the board with a new one...

I am really enjoying the podcast but I would like to get a better feel for the main characters. So I was wondering, what one episode do you guys think best characterizes the main cast? If one is too few, what 2 episodes would you recommend?
We'll wack the wack before the wack can wack back.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 25 May 2015, 23:02

Scud422 wrote:I wasn't sure whether to put this into an existing thread or to ruin the look of the board with a new one...

I am really enjoying the podcast but I would like to get a better feel for the main characters. So I was wondering, what one episode do you guys think best characterizes the main cast? If one is too few, what 2 episodes would you recommend?

Honestly, the pilot is good. As is J Digger Doyle.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 26 May 2015, 09:43

I would say i helped me alot to watch an episode to get a feel for the main cast, i had had a little trouble seperating TC and Rick
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase

Return to “Magnum Rewatch”