(Non-Official) Official Dragons of Tarkir Spoiler Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

(Non-Official) Official Dragons of Tarkir Spoiler Thread

Postby WickedBoy6 » 05 Mar 2015, 00:08

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a thread discussing the soilers coming out for DtK. I'm not sure if there has been some rule about spoilers on the thread, but I figured everyone would be shvitzing over what's out there. So, I decided to start up the discussion. As per other Soiler Threads, if you don't want the cards spoiled for you, don't read below, and never click this thread again.

Everyone warned? Okay, good.

NARSET AS A WALKER! Holy crap, she looks like she could shut down many a deck. Prowess and Manifest decks look like they're taking a hit, possibly other control decks, while she fuels control quite nicely. Looks like a massive bomb in Limited, could see some nice Standard play, but I wanna see how she does in Commander. I have a Roon deck with her name all over it.

DARGONS! (Not a typo, just my cute way of typing it) Lots of them. A couple of them look interesting, but so far, nothing completely earth-shattering. The Elder Dragons look good in theory, but time will tell if they'll be effective in Standard. The Ally-colored "lesser" dragons seem fine, as well, though they do look more like multiplayer or EDH cards to me. The monos, however. Wow. The White one shuts down combo decks and possibly Storm decks right in their tracks. The Black one gives an abuseable Damnation effect. The Red one definitely keeps the pressure on, with cheap CMC and some nice Great Rvel-like aggro. The Green one seems a bit high, and needs a lot of Fight abilities to make it work, but it'll be interesting to see if anyone can abuse it.

How does everyone else feel about DtK so far? Does this look like the proper replacement to KtK in draft, and will it be a fitting addition to Standard? See any Commander bombs yet? Discuss below!
Credit to Foxmar
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Re: (Non-Official) Official Dragons of Tarkir Spoiler Thread

Postby Phosphatide » 05 Mar 2015, 00:24

Loving how all the dragon leaders are type "Elder Dragon" to fit perfectly with how people will probably be using them in a certain constructed format.

Except for you, Kolaghan.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 05 Mar 2015, 13:34

Arashin Foremost is the hero my goat warriors deck has been longing for. Thankyou WOTC.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 05 Mar 2015, 14:04

Phosphatide wrote:Loving how all the dragon leaders are type "Elder Dragon" to fit perfectly with how people will probably be using them in a certain constructed format.

Except for you, Kolaghan.

Really? I think granting all your guys haste on a 6/5 flying haste guy seems like a fine commander. So one of his abilities only punishes the Shadowborn Apostle deck. That's fine. He's still something menacing.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 05 Mar 2015, 16:18

Since I run a Shadowborn Apostle deck, I will poop my pants against every BR deck I face.

I actually think Dramoka's the best we've seen so far. Great body for the CMC, flying and lifelink, can't be stopped as it comes in, and Silences opponents on your turn. Perfect backup to Grand Abolisher.

Atarka's Command is super-awesome! Mainly because of the Boardwide Skullcrack. Of course, early-game, you could also ramp up nicely and sneak some extra damage in, or nullify said flying lifelink dragons in combat.

We've also seen the new fates of the old Khans. Sidisi is a zombie, Zurgo is simply striking bells, and Narset is a goddamn Planeswalker. I think she's winning the race. We just need 2 more Elder Dragons and the fates of Anafenza, Surrak, and Sarkhan. He's on the packaging, so he's in the set. Did he never get his spark, or did he get some kind of uber-spark?

And where's Nicol Bolas?
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 05 Mar 2015, 17:01

Honestly, so far, I've been really meh on spoilers myself. Nothing has stood out to me as really fun in limited. But we don't really get the meat of limited until later.
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 06 Mar 2015, 14:23

I'm sorry, did you say something? I couldn't hear you over the sound of being able to pseudo-explore with Sarkhan and actual-explore with Kiora on the same turn.
Also, sick art.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 06 Mar 2015, 20:48

His ultimate is a little janky, but his +1 seems really good. Ramp + Draw every turn? Seems good. The -2 is also relevant.
Gildan_Bladeborn

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 06 Mar 2015, 21:13

Get in my deck forever and ever! I was already happy enough finding out that the new elder dragon version of Atarka is in fact perfectly fine and will definitely be going into a commander deck I've been telling people it would go into on principle alone, but then THIS beautiful thing was spoiled. I'm so happy it hurts right now.

Not that I run it in the deck I'm windmill slamming this into (for other reasons), but this guy + Aggravated Assault basically means infinite combat steps and mana (net one that doesn't empty from the pool each time you swing). I look forward to people doing that in Commander games, ha ha.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Mar 2015, 12:14

Megamorph seems interesting but the majority of them are so incredibly expensive.

Stormwing dragon 4/4 flying first strike for 10
Aven Sunstriker 2/2 flying double strike for 8
Aeiry bowmaster 4/5 reach for 9
Marang Skeleton 2/2 with B regenerate for 7
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Mar 2015, 12:51

To be fair, those costs are split into separate payments. That makes them somewhat more manageable. None of those things are great on their own. But the added versatility helps a lot.

Though I will say I do feel morph shines when it's on a larger creature than on smaller things that get bigger. The 6/7 was a threat because it could come down earlier, and was fine being played later for retail. The megamorph spoilers so far feel like they're largely fairly meh unless they're megamorphed, at which point they're pretty solid cards.

But the big thing with Megamorph seems to be the additional abilities a lot of them have that work when they have a counter or unmorph.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Mar 2015, 14:43

THey are split up but you still have to pay the full amount to get the +1 counter, also even if you didnt have to pay the 3 up front, most of those are expensive on their own.

4/5 reach is 5
2/2 with regenerate is 2-4
4/4 flying First strike is 5-6
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Mar 2015, 15:21

I'm wondering if there's going to be cards in DTK that care about +1/+1 counters like the Abzan series in KTK. If so, then Megamorph might get better.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 09 Mar 2015, 20:36

I'm sure there will be. I doubt that they'll be as good as the Abzan ones that give all creatures with +1/+1s trample, reach, flying or first strike, but I'm sure there''ll be some for the limited environment.

Also, what are people's opinions on this card that stuck out at me for EDH usage? I can see it being quite the bomb card there.

Hedonist's Trove
5BB
Enchantment
When Hedonist's Trove enteres the battlefield, exile all cards in target opponent's graveyard.

You may play land cards exiled by Hedonist's Trove.

One per turn, you may cast a nonland card exiled by Hedonist's Trove.
Credit to Foxmar
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 09 Mar 2015, 20:41

The problem seems to be that if you have a land that would add colored mana outside your commander's color identity, it produces colorless mana instead. Wouldn't those cards be basically uncastable if they were of the wrong color?
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 09 Mar 2015, 21:59

Hmmm. You do raise a good point. With four players, it would be a lot easier to cast certain things. Plus, since it said one spell per turn, you're not gonna need too much, so just pick and choose. Of course, the easiest way to make sure you can play any spell is to play cards like Mycosynth Latticeor North Star, which allows you to play any spell using any color of mana. Of course, LAttice also makes everything an artifact, so be wary of that.

There's also Celestial Dawn, which allows you to spend white mana as if it were any color. I'm not sure if that gets the right results in Commander, though. OF course, the easiest option would be playing a Five-Color deck, but just for one card might not be the best reason for playing 5C.
Credit to Foxmar
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 10 Mar 2015, 07:07

okay, Assault Formation wants me to:
A) get back into magic
B) Revive my old Tree of redemption/feed the pack deck with this card!
Gildan_Bladeborn

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 10 Mar 2015, 11:10

Sky_rider19 wrote:okay, Assault Formation wants me to:
A) get back into magic
B) Revive my old Tree of redemption/feed the pack deck with this card!

Ha ha, it's scary enough that without any extra shenanigans, Tree of Redemption swings in for 13 with an Assault Formation in play, but since you can tap it to exchange your life total with its toughness... and Assault Formation lets you buff toughness... ouch.

Definitely seems like a card Graham would want for his Treefolk EDH deck.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 10 Mar 2015, 22:15

I've been wanting to make Doran deck for the longest time, and Assault Formation looks like it's the best companion for it in this set. Just like last set, it was Butt Fight.

So, I didn't realize it, but there's a cycle of Megamorph Dragons that put +1/+1 counters on other Dragons, as well. I mean, obviously, Dragons were going to be a thing - name of the set - but with those dragons, Sarkhan's Triumph, Dragonlord's Servant, Crucible of Fire from M15 and Haven of the Spirit Dragon - Hey, Tomb, THIS is what a rare tribal land should be - I seriously see some bigtime dragon decks coming to EDH. Possibly Standard, even. I'm definitely expecting Naya Dragons, since those are the colors showing the best synergy with one another, and how combatcentric the shard is.
Credit to Foxmar
Quixotep
First Video: Schrodinger's Fridge

Postby Quixotep » 11 Mar 2015, 00:26

So I just want to mention what I think might be the best spoiled art, and that's got to be Epic Confrontation. Surrak has graduated from punching bears, to literally punching the teeth out of a dragon's mouth! I deem this card, the dragon dentist.

And from a playability standpoint, savage punch that always triggers the pump, at the cost of less power, seems just as good if not better in the right scenarios.
Gildan_Bladeborn

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 12 Mar 2015, 19:33

WickedBoy6 wrote:I seriously see some bigtime dragon decks coming to EDH.

Back when Fate Reforged was in spoiler season Scion of the Ur-Dragon went from a $2 card to like $15, then dropped back to around $12; since Dragons of Tarkir spoilers started it's already jumped up to $20.

So yes, lots of folks are making tribal dragon decks right now.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 12 Mar 2015, 23:14

I can see Scion being useful, but really, I see two different Dragon decks coming to fruition: Jund, using either Karrthus or Kresh, or my direction, Naya, with Gahiji or my choice, Mayael. I can see Scion Combo being a huge thing, but I've always had mana problems with 5 color decks. Mainly because I have my shocks and my best fixings in my Sliver deck, and can't bear to make a second one.
Credit to Foxmar
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 16 Mar 2015, 11:36

Scion combo has always been a huge thing in EDH. Early MtGO Commander was infested with it and Zur. It's power is largely being able to transform into a dragon that can OHKO a player given enough mana (YAY, Dragon Tyrant) while being able to shift into one of the Kamigawa dragons if removal was pointed its way. Top it off with Patriarch's Bidding to revive all the dragons you've been dumping in your yard, and baby, you got a stew going. Add the Ventmaw + Aggrevated Assault combo now, and it's even more brutal.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 17 Mar 2015, 20:37

So, one final post about this thread, since everything has been released:

I am excited. I haven't been this excited for a set since Theros. Lots of decks are very visible, either enhancing current builds, or creating new ones. I see Limited bombs, Standard enhancers, even a couple of cards that could possibly see Modern and EDH play. I can't wait.

I also want to get all of those pre-release dice. They look awesome!
Credit to Foxmar

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”