Is it possible to make a budget modern deck?

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Bronylarper
First Video: Friday Nights - Speechless

Is it possible to make a budget modern deck?

Postby Bronylarper » 26 Feb 2015, 18:00

Ive been wondering if it was possible to make a modern deck that was about $100ish dollars

Thanks for the help :3
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Re: Is it possible to make a budget modern deck?

Postby korvys » 26 Feb 2015, 18:26

Absolutely. I traded 4 cards for my entire deck. I think it's worth about $50 total: Restore Balance

I play a slight variation on the borderpost version. It's not great, but it has some really good match-ups against some decks game 1.

For actual good decks, 8-rack and Burn are options. Have a look here.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Emtee
First Video: FNM

Postby Emtee » 26 Feb 2015, 21:08

I like watching Gathering Magic YouTube Channel. There is Kevin from Rogue Deck Builder makes "Playing on a Budget" and he aims for his Standard and Modern Decks to be about less than $100. He favors Soul Sisters I think because it won him a PTQ before. Though he does other Budget Decks.

Gathering Magic YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzH1lp ... vNd1a_tZmw

Personally I also like Soul Sisters. I have one of my own but have not played it as much.

Though I do like Jerr's suggestion from TapTapConcede where Modern Masters II is coming out and some Modern Staples may reduce in price.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 27 Feb 2015, 10:17

Treasure... Infestation. It's the budget combo deck no one expects. Mulligan until you draw both Treasure Hunt and Zombie Infestation. Play Infestation. Next turn, play Treasure Hunt. Your deck, besides those two cards, is nothing but land. Make all the zambies. (At EoT, preferably, to avoid a Pyroclasm. You did play Reliquary Tower in those first 3 turns, right?)
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 27 Feb 2015, 11:45

U/G Infect can be fairly cheap. I'm pretty sure mines cost under $50. It doesn't run the best stuff, but it functions well enough that it can win matches against Affinity. I'm even thinking about putting Invisible Stalker in the board because he's just really good. Maybe even Delver could get in.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 09 Mar 2015, 12:34

MowDownJoe wrote:Treasure... Infestation. It's the budget combo deck no one expects. Mulligan until you draw both Treasure Hunt and Zombie Infestation. Play Infestation. Next turn, play Treasure Hunt. Your deck, besides those two cards, is nothing but land. Make all the zambies. (At EoT, preferably, to avoid a Pyroclasm. You did play Reliquary Tower in those first 3 turns, right?)

I built this on MTGO, but Seismic Assault is infinitely more reliable than Infestation.

My list looks like
1x seismic assault
4x treasure hunt
4x ghost quarter
4x reliquary tower
4x lavaclaw reaches
4x creeping tarpit
4x steam vents
4x blood crypt
4x watery grave

and basics or other utility lands to fill the rest. the sideboard is 4x zombie infestation, and some more lands to swap in and out. I didn't want to splurge for fetches, but I'd like to run Deltas, Mires, and Vents.

The deck just wants to mulligan to a Treasure Hunt. You can hunt until you find the assault.

=-------------------------=
On the subject of budget decks in Modern, you can probably build a competitive burn, soul sisters, or B/W tokens deck for under $100. Tron tends to get up into the $1000 range, with Eldrazi titans and Karn; Zoo can be pricey, if only because of arid mesa and Goyf; and Pod (until it was banned) was about a $1400 deck. I recommend choosing something that doesn't need Cryptic Command, Tarmgoyf, Bob, Lili of the Veil, or Vendillion Clique if you want to keep it to a lower budget. Pretty much everything else is pretty inexpensive, and will retain value (if you ever wanted to sell out of modern, you won't lose as much money as selling out of Standard at rotation).
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 09 Mar 2015, 13:51

I'm currently tinkering with mono-white Death & Taxes feat. morphAkromablink, its budgetish - apart from the Aether Vials.

And its soooo much fun.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 10 Mar 2015, 13:10

Yeah, Death and Taxes is a budgetish deck and it's really good. You can also try BW tokens, since it's pretty cheap to start with the Modern Event Deck. I think Mono Green Aggro is a fairly affordable decke. Other decks that come to mind are Mindcrank combo, Kuldotha Rebirth or Tempered Steel deck. They are obviously not Tier 1 deck but their cheap.
You can also ask at your LGS if they're organising any Modern events with proxies allowed so you can test different lists and decide what to build. My store has just started running such events and they're really great.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 04 Jul 2015, 07:00

Hoping to get some opinions on whether or not this idea has any potential - very early stages of a budget brew for DeadElves.dec:

- Fill graveyard and search for creatures with Fauna Shaman, Grisly Salvage, Commune with the Gods & Gather the Pack.

- Keep things ticking over with Essence Warden, Elvish Eulogist, Elvish Visionary, and general elf utility & aggro (of which there is plenty).

- Bloodbond March and/or Prowess of the Fair to hit for loads with Shaman of the Pack.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 04 Jul 2015, 08:39

I was going to suggest my elf-ball deck, it went 2-2 at a modern FNM, but apparently I got a good deal getting craterhoof behemoths before everyone figured out how awesome they are.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”