LRRniverse - LRRcraft Starbound server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

LRRniverse - LRRcraft Starbound server

Postby TStodden » 26 Jan 2015, 00:45

For those who are tired of Minecraft & want to play a different game for a change of pace, I'm currently running of Starbound server on my computer for anybody who's interested in playing.

Server Address: sb.lrrcraft.com OR lrrcraft.servegame.com
Server Username: LRRcraft -- NOT REQUIRED!
Server Password: Dickbutt -- NOT REQUIRED!
Max Concurrent Players: 8

PENDING SHUTDOWN -- SEE IMPORTANT NOTES!

With the latest update (02/17/2015), server configurations are now running "Black / White Lists". "Guest Logins" are current enabled by default, so you are NOT REQUIRED to enter a specific username & password. HOWEVER, if this does change, the Username / Password listed above will be available for all (until abused).

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1) Due to lack of player traffic, the server will be shutdown on 04/10/2015 & the server address will be released a few days later. -- World files & server restoration will be available upon request.

2) Max Concurrent Players is subject to change based on demand & connection availability. If you're having problems getting on due to player load (too many people on), please contact me so I can make the necessary adjustments (which will require a server reboot to go into effect). All connection updates w/ my ISP have been fully completed so there should be minimal issues now.

3) Users who wish to register for a user ID for the server (in case guest logins get restricted), feel free to contact me with your desired Username & Server Password & I'll get it added.

Those who wish to have mod / admin rights (should a need ever arise) are REQUIRED to have their own login for access reasons (as these rights will remain restricted).

3) If there's any problems with the server or players, please contact me... either by forum PM or through Steam (DB Chat & other methods available as well). Please be aware responses will generally come between 12:00 AM & 4:00 AM Central time most days.

RULES:
Like I really need to mention these, the biggest ideal here is Wheaton's Rule: Don't Be a Dick! HOWEVER, as not everybody have the same codes of honor, I'll lay down a few ground rules.

1) Player's Ships are PRIVATE DOMAINS! -- Anything you place on your ship is 100% yours. Players joining your party may visit, but are not permitted to take anything off your ship WITHOUT your permission.

2) Any building near the landing point is considered PUBLIC PROPERTY-- This can be consider the "Landing Station" where players can craft stuff, getting food (available publicly on site, including a farm), get stuff that's left by others (blocks, seeds, ect.) & have some protection from the native wildlife & weather (which can be hazardous in some areas).

3) Please place any private buildings NO CLOSER THAN TWO SCREENS AWAY from the landing point -- This is mostly in-line with Rule 2. Any building with in ONE SCREEN of the landing zone may be considered the landing station & cause potential confusion.

If you wish to have a terrestrial base, please place it a bit away from the landing site to avoid confusion. Additionally, bases do need to have a "passthrough corridor" for players if you're building above ground so players can explore the planet. This is NOT REQUIRED for underground bases, but is recommended.

4) Players building bases will need to register their based on the LRRniverse Planetary Registry. -- While ships are 100% private (as that data is stored on YOUR computer), terrestrial bases are don't have that luxury & we (more importantly, myself) needs to know where the bases are located so they can be protected to some degree.

The Planetary Registry is available at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1niwdG_S6Q4RIA3lnsJAEHgcd0aLeI3yTUiURpZpH9Go/edit?usp=sharing

Please include the universal coordinates (sector, X, Y) & the game-name of the planet so it can be located within the game (NOTED IN RED). LRR Username, Character Name & "Point of Interest" are recommended. By registering the planet, you are laying claim to all buildings on said planet (except for the "Landing Stations").

Upbeat Giraffe NOTE: With the removal of Universal sectors, this field has been depreciated.

5) Please limit PERSONAL bases to ONE PER SECTOR 6 at one time. -- While planetary land grabs are all fun, it's a pain if one person snatches up a bunch in a sector.

Players are permitted to claim ONE PLANET for each sector of the universe (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, X... or 5 bases in total). If players wish to claim a second planet within a sector, they must release their claim on the first. All resources on the released base become free for all.

Upbeat Giraffe NOTE: Universe sectors have been removed for one unified universe... As a result, this rule has been updated to reflect this. The 6 base limit is currently a semi-arbitrary figure (originally using the universal sectors as the guideline), which may be re-worked.

I recommend players having bases that require ~500 fuel units OR MORE to travel between them to keep them a reasonable distance apart.

6) Please keep in-game chat clean & "family friendly". -- While you won't get into trouble for the occasional swear word, I do wish to keep a "family friendly" vibe on the servers because the age of potential players can vary greatly. If conversations start treading above "PG-13" content for a while... you probably should talk elsewhere.

"Think of the Hosklings" is a good rule of thumb here... if you wouldn't say it with them around, you might want to rephrase it.

NOTE: Conversations in-game are recorded in the server logs, so they can be reviewed after a player logs off... So don't think you can swear when nobody is around. However, bans will only occur if somebody complains.

7) No trolling other players & bases -- This is a standard rule... Don't tear down stuff others are building (unless it's by consent); Don't place blockades in front of doors & whatnot here. If it's going to give other players headaches, just don't do it!

Public bases (like the one may be modified by others as needed to suit needs.

Do I really have to spell it out here?

8) Please DON'T bother admin / staff for free stuff. -- This is a vanilla server, so you'll need to find / buy what you need to survive in-game. Therefore don't bother us for stuff that you really don't need.

The only POTENTIAL exception that will be made (at admin / staff's discretion) is ship fuel for travel.

NOTE: With "Upbeat Giraffe", inter-star system travel does not require any fuel to move between planets / moons. Fuel is only required when traveling between stars & is distance-based. Fuel can be purchased at The Outpost (available at the edge of each star system) @ 500 px / 20 units... So chances of this happening will be remote.

9) Game server may be temporarily shutdown with little notice -- While I will try to notify players when I'm temporarily shutting down the server (generally give about a 5-15 minutes heads up... assuming there's anybody on... I do check the running logs first), there will be some emergency cases when it may go down without warning...

Such cases will either be power-related (UPS alarm trips), system updates or hardware-related. Such shutdowns will usually be limited to a 24-hour period (48-hours at the most).

10) Advanced notice will be provided for longer-term shutdowns.
-- If I need to shutdown the server for more than 24 hours in a non-emergency situation, I will try to provide notice here a few days ahead of time on what's going on & try to provide a date when the server will be back up.

11) Copy of the universe will be provided to anybody who's willing to take over hosting services, in the event of a permanent shutdown. -- In the highly unfortunate event that I must permanently take down the server, I will provide a copy of the game universe (in 7-zip format) to anybody who's willing to set up to take my place (even without a pending shutdown).

Other Notes:
Right now, Donations are not required to keep the server running. I'm running the server on my own computer & connection that I'm able to afford at this time (so please keep the complaints about possible lag to a minimum, I know things are a little crappy for the moment), so I won't ask player to donate anything. Those who are still willing to donate can contact me via Forum PM for Paypal donation information.

Any donations provided, unless specified for other means (within reason), will be utilized to improve the server... which can include improved connections speeds (aka "ISP Bribes") & hardware updates. If there's a large amount of donations, a dedicated server may be built.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's pretty much everything! Enjoy exploring the LRRniverse!
Last edited by TStodden on 14 Mar 2015, 20:39, edited 10 times in total.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
xantheros
First Video: cHustle 4

Re: LRRniverse - LRRcraft Starbound server

Postby xantheros » 26 Jan 2015, 01:14

Looks good, hopefully I'll have a chance to jump on. Your planet registry link is broken though.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jan 2015, 05:45

sb.lrrcraft.com is now a viable address for this server. It'll probably be available 3 hours from now.

Also, your Google Doc link for the Registry is broken... I assume you edited the post, which broke it. I recommend wrapping it in URL tags to keep that from happening.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

TStodden
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 26 Jan 2015, 23:28

First up, Thank you Memo to adding the sb.lrrcraft.com address for the server. Hopefully my ISP doesn't break it.

Second, the Registry Link has been fixed. I added the URL-tag to ensure it works now... stupid oversight for long addresses.
~TStodden
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jan 2015, 01:24

It's just a CNAME for the original address, so as long as lrrcraft.servegame.com works, sb.lrrcraft.com will work (as long as I control lrrcraft.com and don't change it, which I don't see happening in the near future). If you need to change the original address, or have to change it to an IP address, just let me know and I can have it up pretty quick.

TStodden

Postby TStodden » 28 Jan 2015, 00:26

So things shouldn't break then, or only temporarily (at most, a few hours) while things realign.
~TStodden
TStodden

Postby TStodden » 28 Jan 2015, 18:56

Just to add to the turbulence today (with my connection upgrade, which is currently incomplete... still waiting for the upstream to increase), Starbound JUST RELEASED the latest update, which the server (Upbeat Giraffe) is now running.

This will likely cause some additional "transitional headaches" in the process as I have to update some of stuff here.

SHAMELESS PLUG: Starbound is currently 25% on Steam right now UNTIL NOON CST on 01.30.2015... If you haven't gotten the game yet, GRAB IT NOW!!! -- http://store.steampowered.com/app/211820/
~TStodden
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 28 Jan 2015, 23:03

Yes, I was waiting for the update. I'll see if I can log on somewhere today.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

TStodden

Postby TStodden » 29 Jan 2015, 13:45

Sorry for the extended downtime... Only meant to be down for ~10 minutes & lasted closer to an hour.

Had to address some software updates (need to keep my system safe & secured) & just got off the line with my ISP to troubleshoot my connection speeds (as upstream didn't get updated yesterday, which is now corrected).

Things should be running a bit smoother for transport, so any update delays on the server may be more related to my system than anything. Now that I'm getting 1.5 Mbps up (from 0.5 Mbps earlier), I do have space to up the player limits as needed.

01.30.2015 Update: Some initial stuff has been completed for the "spawn planet" (See the first entry in the LRRniverse Registry) so players won't get immediately killed with the landing base in place. There's some crafting equipment, beds & public storage there (including food, seeds & other stuff). Use as you need.
~TStodden
vgmaster831
First Video: Imagine If You Will

Postby vgmaster831 » 30 Jan 2015, 01:42

Awesome, so glad this is up. Now I just need to learn how to play Starbound.
TStodden

Postby TStodden » 30 Jan 2015, 02:10

Hopefully I got the major stuff worked out on my end so that things run relatively smoothly for everybody else.

The next major shake-up for the server will likely be the morning of February 4th (~1:00a CST) for some system maintenance (which has fallen to a quarterly thing due to my work schedule). I'll be moving the server files to another drive before the major work starts to minimize disruptions, but should only be temporary deal for a few hours.

If there's any issues, drop me a note & I try to address it when I get off work.
~TStodden
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 17 Feb 2015, 22:49

Any chance of updating to 668 soon?
TStodden

Postby TStodden » 19 Feb 2015, 13:04

In terms of updates, there may be a few days delay for stuff to download & install... then reboot the server.

Since it's mostly automated by Steam (except the server loading stuff), all updates will occur "naturally".

Seems that the user / admin login has update with the last update a few days ago... It'll be fully updated in a few minutes of this post.

UPDATE (4:04 PM CST): Everything for the server (including some of the rules) have been updated to support the most recent changes to the game & server.
~TStodden
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 20 Feb 2015, 15:34

What're people's play times? I never seem to see anyone online.
TStodden

Postby TStodden » 22 Feb 2015, 00:15

Sadly, the server is fairly idle most of the time... based on the server logs.

I'm generally available 12:00am - 4:00am Central Time most daily (with some exceptions) & roughly 1:00pm - 4:00am Central Time on Wednesday & Thursday as they're my days off. If I see activity on the server, I may hop on as well... Likely on an alt character to be on a level playing ground (with admin rights disabled).

Again, feel free to arrange meetings with others I'd you like on the server.
~TStodden
TStodden

Postby TStodden » 14 Mar 2015, 20:57

I'm sorry to report that due to lack of interest, for some reason or another, I'll be shutting down the server on 04/10/2015 as a persistent / permanent server. It'll be available as an "On Demand" server after that date (just give me heads up on when you want on) & may return to a permanent server in the future... but if nobody's really playing, it's just not worth keeping it up & dealing with renewing the server address as well. The date here is roughly when the next renewal notice will pop up & I'm just going to let it lapse.

With that said, I do want to check with those who have played on the server to address any problems or issues you may have... I just want to know what went wrong as I can address it in future attempts for the server.

I just want to check if it's "Ghosttown Syndrome", issues with rules OR performance issues with the server itself (slow / buggy / inconsistent uptimes / ect.).

If it's mostly server performance, I will note that I'm looking getting a second computer within the next month (looking at an Alienware Alpha) once my tax refunds come in (signed the paperwork last Wednesday w/ at my lawyer's office, so it'll take a few weeks) to help balance things out.

While I do appreciate honesty here, please keep comments in compliance with the forums here.
~TStodden
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Mar 2015, 23:58

How much RAM, CPU, and disk space does it take? If it's a performance issue, we might migrate it to the LRRcraft server's machine, depending on how intensive the game is.

TStodden

Postby TStodden » 15 Mar 2015, 23:55

In terms of server space, it's very small at ~65 MB (by comparison, my old offline Minecraft world is ~2.5 GB for 100 km^2).

In terms of RAM / Processing requirement, don't have as much info... but the idle RAM requirement is ~6 MB (since is just a console window without any command prompts), but RAM & bandwidth requirements that they're low enough for my system to handle. The server unloads planets when nobody is on them after like a minute. The only noted issue on my side is likely graphical with periodic slowdowns (similar to what's happening to me with Minecraft 1.8, bit to a somewhat lesser effect).

I'm probably more discouraged not seeing player activity for days on end than anything... but some of it could related to my work schedule for me getting on.
~TStodden
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Mar 2015, 03:14

That seems small enough to migrate if you want to keep it running. :)

TStodden

Postby TStodden » 16 Mar 2015, 22:16

I think it's mostly "Ghost Town Syndrome" that's likely the issue (as server logs in the console remaining unchanged for days on end). I'll still have offline access to the files, so I can still play on it personally & still be able to bring the server back up later, if needed.

I might just have to consider getting on Twitch to broadcast once I get that new computer. I'm also looking at what my employee discounts w/ Dell to see what deal I can get for an Alienware Alpha.
~TStodden
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 17 Mar 2015, 00:17

He TStoddden. Just wanted to say that there was nothing regarding the server that kept me from playing on it. I guess I'm just over my initial hype around Starbound and a lot of other games have caught my interest. I might come back to it once in a while, but not consistently enough to be part of a running server.

Sorry that this plan fell through :(
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

TStodden

Postby TStodden » 17 Mar 2015, 22:08

It happens & I totally understand it, as I'm drifted a bit away from Minecraft as well due some performance issues as well (which I haven't resolved. possibly due to an older system)... which getting a new PC may resolve.

I'll bring it back up on request for some sessions, but I'm not going sweat it if my current PC gets shut down for longer than 24 hours afterwards.
~TStodden
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Mar 2015, 04:24

The Minecraft performance issues are mainly due to 1.8, which are affecting many others as well. It's not just you.

Jostain
First Video: ways to hide a body

Postby Jostain » 19 Mar 2015, 12:56

I tried to play it but i got stuck on the tutorial mission because they are horribly designed.

I like the aestetic part of the game but the game parts have a severe lack of direction.

chucklefish is basically a company of artist that sort of like game design and programming which is why there are like 12 instruments and twice as many vanity stuff as any other item in the game.

It sort of need a concentration of people and a purpose to be enjoyable.
It could be interesting to have the server online and do something like dungeon raids or pvp but that would require me to get the fun stuff and that seems to be 40-50 hours into the game.
TStodden

Postby TStodden » 02 Apr 2015, 23:47

This may be the last post before the server goes offline, but I might delay the shutdown by a week for some internal testing.

While the DNS stuff will still lapse around April 10th, my new PC (the Alienware Alpha w/ i7 core) should be arriving today (granted it almost 3 am at time of post) & I'll likely keep the the server & router settings untouched to give the new system a spin.

If you're skilled enough to have my IP address, you're still welcomed to hop on the server once the DNS stuff lapses... just don't hack me in the process. :D (SRSLY, no hacking plz)
~TStodden

Return to “Video Games”