Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby fantôme » 06 Mar 2015, 15:54

And then this happened...

(Spolier alert).

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Mar 2015, 16:02

Your images are broken? From the URLs, though, I'm assuming you mean:

New Origins Cards - Click to Expand

Someone on the Mythic Spoiler comment threads pointed out an interesting interaction: MoonMist kills her due to transforming her without having any loyalty counters.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 06 Mar 2015, 19:43

Unless I'm missing something, an interaction with planeswalkers I've not encountered for example, all forcing a transformation would do is cancel the token generation. There's nothing on the base card that affects the loyalty so wouldn't she just come in as normal?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Mar 2015, 20:20

When planeswalkers enter the battlefield, they get loyalty counters. This is why her ability has to exile her and bring her back.
If you transform her without her leaving the battlefield, she would NOT get the counters, since she's not a planeswalker entering the battlefield. Thus, with no loyalty counters on a planeswalker, state-based actions would put her in the graveyard (untransformed).
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 07 Mar 2015, 00:56

Ah, I get it now. I managed to stop playing before they were introduced and started again after they were around but, on the whole, rather expensive, so I never looked far into it. Thanks for the rules buff!
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 07 Mar 2015, 07:22

So now I've had several encounters with 'Prophet of Kruphix' and am starting to really hate it, to the point that I've started a "think hard if you want to play against account name X" on mtgo.

Since the decks that run it also tend to run no-max-handsize and massive carddraw (consecrated sphinx and oh so much more), once the prophet is out, you can basically call the game unless all other players have instant removal to overwhelm the prophet player's ability to pay for their many counters.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 10 Mar 2015, 22:09

I have a Roon of the Hidden Realms deck, which used to run a lot of "Exile Now/Return at End of Turn" effects, but also now has a lot of "Exile Now/Return Now" effects. Prophet is an all-star in that, along with Seedborn Muse. I prefer Prophet, obviously, for the flashing, but they both hold the same purpose.

I will agree that Prophet is one of those cards that may have been overlooked when it comes to interaction in EDH. It's just too good. I only run a counterspell or two in the deck - Bant Charm and Mystic Snake - but I can get her from the graveyard and exile easy, using Loaming Shaman and Riftsweeper, respectively. My card draw is numerous, using Elvish Visionary, Coiling Oracle, and my main: Prime Speaker Zegana.
Credit to Foxmar
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 11 Mar 2015, 11:00

I'm retooling my Jund EDH deck a bit, and need to free up some slots for Act of Treason type effects. My deck is centered around making lots of things die, and I'm not sure if these cards are worth keeping or not.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4534
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=214054

They're powerful effects to be sure, but I don't know if they're good enough for the kinds of board states Commander games get to.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 12 Mar 2015, 02:14

I think you could easily cut them. Slagstorm is good for dealing with small creatures, but kill the bigger ones that's inevitably appear on the table and also is a one-shot effect. Aether Flash is a cool card but it has the same problem - it only kills X/2s. Are you running Starstorm or Blasphemous Act in your list?
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 12 Mar 2015, 02:27

Indeed, there is removal in your colours that hit more things. If you're going the Treason route, perhaps a Bloodfire Infusion?
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 12 Mar 2015, 11:36

Aether flash gets lots better if you can get Death Pits of Rath.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... seid=83204
steven19913
First Video: Escalation

Postby steven19913 » 12 Mar 2015, 12:35

So I don't know if this is the place to put this but I just made my first commander deck and need to cut it down and wanted to know if you guyses would be willing to give it a look see. For causal play mostly, though it says that.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-03-15 ... ie-tribal/
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson...they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary...you can't gain anything without losing something first."
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 12 Mar 2015, 13:32

Ideas: (not necessarily good, as I am just starting myself)
Replace 'Stronghold Assassin' with 'Attrition'

Call to the kindred seems a bit clunky, potentially.
You might want Grindstone/Clock for smaller increments of self milling for sidisi.
Also 'Grave Betrayal' fits in here massively. (Basically Grimoire only faster)

Ghoultree is nice, but you want your graveyard generally low on creatures, by getting them back. the lack of inherent trample is also meh.

Birthing Pod might be a solid addition?

Stinkweed imp fuels your yard, but feels pretty underwhelming considering all your other effects. (possibly same with skinrender)

Helldozer will get you so much hate. I personally loathe anyone who runs land destruction in commander.

looks pretty solid otherwise, so paring down might come down to smoothing the curve and looking at numerical values.
steven19913

Postby steven19913 » 12 Mar 2015, 14:10

I had geth in here originally, think i should throw him back in?
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson...they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary...you can't gain anything without losing something first."
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 12 Mar 2015, 14:39

Sweet deck!

Only problem with Geth (and Lich Lord of Unx) is that they don't self-mill.

If you want a particular card in your graveyard - Brawn, for example - then Corpse Connoisseur is your man.

Also these guys: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Searc ... &subtype=+[zombie]&text=+[top]+[library]+[graveyard]+[cards]
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 12 Mar 2015, 14:41

Ugh I am the worst at internetting, you get the idea though.
steven19913

Postby steven19913 » 12 Mar 2015, 15:34

Not really? i am worse at internet. Just search for zombie library graveyard together?
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 12 Mar 2015, 16:00

Creature type "zombie", rules text "top cards library graveyard". There's about a dozen of them.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 16 Mar 2015, 18:39

OK, need some help with my manabase for this deck. I don't know what's wrong per se, but just about every opening 7 I draw from this deck is either color screwed, mana screwed, or both. There are only so many non-basic lands that I own, and I'm not sure how to fix it right now. HALP PLS. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jeskai-discontent/
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 16 Mar 2015, 19:46

Your land-count seems fine. I'd recommend more duals and more library manipulation. Some options if you're on a budget:
  • Guildgates
  • KTK Gain-lands
  • Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse
  • Zendikar Refuges
  • Mystic Monastery (Jeskai Tri-land)
  • Flood Plain (ETB-tapped fetchland)
  • Desolate Lighthouse
  • Wayfarer's Bauble/Traveler's Amulet
  • Brainstorm
  • Preordain
  • Impulse
  • Anticipate
  • Opt
  • Sleight of Hand
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 16 Mar 2015, 20:18

OK, made a few updates. If I get an Anticipate at the prerelease, I might try that in here as well.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 17 Mar 2015, 02:26

Spooky themed pile:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-03-15-haunted-house/

Suggestions very welcome.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 18 Mar 2015, 13:31

Grave Titan? Unhallowed pact to work with your commander? Promise of Power?
You could add a lot of cards but I don't know how hard are you commited to the spooky theme. Path to Exile and Swords to Plowshares would be a great addition as well as a board wipe of some sort, Wrath of God, Damnation, Austere Command or Merciless Eviction. Rise of the Dark Realms, Sepulchral Primordial, Phyrexian Arena. All those cards would increase the power level of the deck, but I'm afraid they wouldn't fit into the theme.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 18 Mar 2015, 14:05

100% committed to theme. Except for maybe Measure of Wickedness, but it is hilarious.

I think Sepulchral Primordial is horrifying enough to get in, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe Damnation too, but I don't have one (and they're silly expensive).

But on the subject of board wipes, I've honestly never particularly found myself in need of one. Perhaps that's just down to this style of deck, (never played with anything else). Does everyone else rate them as that important?

Also I was considering a Sorin, to pair up with Liliana as a lord & lady of the haunted manor. Does anybody have any experience with any of his planeswalker incarnations being particularly fun or interesting?
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 18 Mar 2015, 14:56

I personally prefer Sorin, Lord of Innistrad. That said, especially in Commander, Sorin Markov's -3 (Target opponent's life total becomes 10) is just mean.

In terms of spooky art, I've always really loved Horobi's Whisper. You don't have a lot of removal in there, by the looks of it, so it's possible that the fact that it's a worse Doom Blade would be irrelevant - arguably, bad removal is better than no removal, even in Commander.

On the subject of board wipes, they can be vital against some of my decks. I personally don't like using them, precisely because I don't like being on the receiving end of them. Whenever I've seen Commander being played by others, though, it seems like people devote as much as a tenth of their deck to spells that reset the board. The few times I've played multiplayer games with strangers, it was almost impossible for anyone to build up a board state because the moment a player fell behind, they used a wipe. That's just not the kind of Magic I want to play when I play Commander, personally.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”