Magnum Rewatch Ep09 - Lest We Forget

Kathleen and Graham guide you through 1980s action awesomeness.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Magnum Rewatch Ep09 - Lest We Forget

Postby Kathleen » 30 Mar 2015, 23:23

Magnum tries to find a girl who's been missing for 40 years, Higgins tries to find a fourth for bridge, and Kathleen tries to find the correct definition of ironic. 
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Mono_Snorsh
First Video: .

Re: Magnum Rewatch Ep09 - Lest We Forget

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 31 Mar 2015, 01:37

Bridge can be safely described as simply not working with a fourth who doesn't know the game. It's a partner game so one person who can't step makes one team lose and the other team win without having to work for it. Specifically it's a game that has a heavy focus on non-intrinsic strategies. It's not like M:TG where a new player can interact with the first level of mechanics and still be functional if significantly less effective than the other players at the table. Most Bridge players would just give up the game if the fourth turned out to not know how to play.

Also, Bridge even in the 80s skewed a bit high in average age. You really shouldn't ask if someone died when someone is looking for a fourth.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 31 Mar 2015, 02:32

Once again, really unexpected twists in the middle of a Magnum episode. The writers seem to know what they are doing.
Bernard
First Video: DBFH2

Postby Bernard » 31 Mar 2015, 06:35

Don't know if any of your audio set up changed, but Kaitlin was noticeably louder than Grant.

Also, Miguel Ferrer and George Clooney are cousins.
DrDemento
First Video: Guild Fight

Postby DrDemento » 31 Mar 2015, 07:38

I recently learned to play Bridge, and if you can find a good teacher I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys playing Magic.

Bridge Conventions are systems of bidding that you and your partner agree upon ahead of time. Bridge is a trick taking game, and the end goal of the bidding is to determine how many tricks you think you and your partner will take, and what suit will be trump. However, players also use the bidding process in order to determine what cards are in their partners hand (the better to decide how many tricks they can take, and which trump suits them best). This is where bidding conventions come into play, and are where the majority of Bridge's complexity comes from (technical play is also very important, but that is shared by most card games). It is important to note that there is no talking to your partner in Bridge, and so any information who wish to give to them must be through game actions, either by bidding in a particular way, or by playing a particular cards. Which is why it is important to cram as much information as possible into every action.

Jacoby Transfers are actually one of the first conventions I learned, and they exist due to the "dummy hand" in Bridge. In Bridge, whenever a partnership wins the bidding and gains the contract, one of the players then lays down their hand for everyone to see, and their partner plays for them. This person is called the dummy, and has no say in the hand ones the bidding is over (and is an excellent person to send to grab more drinks). Now, there is a strategic advantage to having one player be the dummy over the other. In general, you want the player with the stronger hand to keep their hand hidden, so their opponents don't know what to play around. The way the dummy is decided, you want the person with the stronger hand to bid your eventual trump suit first, and Jacoby transfers are a method for the player with the weaker hand to bid a suit they don't like in order to signal their partner what suit they actually want them to bid.

None of this is particularly relevant to the Magnum episode, but you guys seemed at least somewhat interested in the details of Bridge, so I thought i would provide a bit of color. I've been really enjoying the podcast so far (probably because you provide all sorts of details that don't really have ot do with the epsiode but are still super interesting)..
dragoon3zero
First Video: Unskppable Venetica

Postby dragoon3zero » 31 Mar 2015, 09:34

wahine means woman in hawaiian, it isn't just the colloquial term for it.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 31 Mar 2015, 11:18

dragoon3zero wrote:wahine means woman in hawaiian, it isn't just the colloquial term for it.
Yeah, I sort of misspoke there. I wasn't sure what else to call it...

Is there a term for "we're speaking one language, but I'm going to use another language for this single word, for emphasis?"

It has a certain, je ne sais quoi, if you will.
Bratmon
First Video: Ways to make money

Postby Bratmon » 31 Mar 2015, 11:22

So since you were looking at it with letterboxing, your experience ended up looking like this?
Mono_Snorsh
First Video: .

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 31 Mar 2015, 13:49

Graham wrote:
dragoon3zero wrote:wahine means woman in hawaiian, it isn't just the colloquial term for it.

Is there a term for "we're speaking one language, but I'm going to use another language for this single word, for emphasis?"

The technical term in linguistics is tag-switching or more broadly code-switching. However wahine in the context of the episode is being used colloquially. That it is technically also a part of formal speech in another language is irrelevant from a lingusitic perspecitve.

Tvtropesese calls it Poirot Speak
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 31 Mar 2015, 23:41

I know we're in the realms of completely boring trivia here, but since you mentioned the change of theme music again... :D

Going by the UK dvds, Thicker Than Blood is the first episode that used the new music in the opening titles, but they started using it over the end credits from Ugliest Dog. Curiously though, the credits for "Theme Music" did change to Mike Post in Lest We Forget, even though the episode on the dvd still used Ian Freebairn-Smith's theme. Presumably the credits were correct and they did change the music here, but I have no idea why someone would edit the old titles back into both this episode and the next (Curse)?
Ah well, I guess we should just chalk it up to the vagueries of dvd authoring :)
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 01 Apr 2015, 00:02

According to a transcript site (G&K you may want to bookmark this http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk ... m-p-i-1980 ), Higgins said:
We play Kennedy, single Swiss, jacoby transfer, Michael's cue-bid, August response to weak twos and DOPI-- in addition to Gerber, Blackwood and Stayman.
dragoon3zero
First Video: Unskppable Venetica

Postby dragoon3zero » 01 Apr 2015, 13:27

Graham wrote:

in hawaii, we speak in a combination of Hawaiian, Japanese, Chinese, and English. we call it Pigeon english, and no we don't speak like actual pigeons.
TheGeek
First Video: FridayNights

Postby TheGeek » 01 Apr 2015, 22:01

I swear I've seen a movie with a subplot exactly like this. Guy in love with prostitute, they plan to run a way together, there's a knife fight. Except from what I remember they guy does die in the attack and as the girl gets on the boat after the attack she's making up some story about how her boyfriend/husband was a Navy big wig to get in with some of the older women on the boat.
Angnor
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Angnor » 02 Apr 2015, 10:08

I'm loving the rewatch podcasts so much. Thank you!
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
Wolfwood723
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 04 Apr 2015, 08:38

Just want to let you guys know that this podcast is something I truly look forward to every week. Keep up the awesome work guys.

Also in a few years when you've finished Magnum I think you guys should move onto Burn Notice since the show is obviously inspired by the Magnum model.
ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 06 Apr 2015, 17:39

When I first heard of this Podcast, I thought it was a REALLY stupid idea, but I like the things you guys do and decided to give it a shot. Been listening every week, its easily one of my new favorite things :).
Kathleen
LRR Crew

Postby Kathleen » 06 Apr 2015, 23:21

ritchards wrote:According to a transcript site (G&K you may want to bookmark this http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk ... m-p-i-1980 ), Higgins said:
We play Kennedy, single Swiss, jacoby transfer, Michael's cue-bid, August response to weak twos and DOPI-- in addition to Gerber, Blackwood and Stayman.

THAT IS GOOD TO KNOW!
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Kathleen
LRR Crew

Postby Kathleen » 06 Apr 2015, 23:22

Booster wrote:When I first heard of this Podcast, I thought it was a REALLY stupid idea, but I like the things you guys do and decided to give it a shot. Been listening every week, its easily one of my new favorite things :).

To your defense, it is kind of a stupid idea.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 09 Apr 2015, 14:43

Magnum was one of my dad's favorite shows growing up, but I never actually saw a full episode. Thanks to these rewatch podcasts, I listen to the 'cast first, then if I'm really curious, I'll cue up the episode in Netflix and fast-forward to the parts I was intrigued about.

I'm also really glad I gave this one a shot. It's a "can't miss" 'cast for now.

Trisha Lynn
...mostly because I listen while digging in Minecraft...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 Apr 2015, 16:03

Minecraft and podcasts are an excellent combination
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “Magnum Rewatch”