TTC - Mailbag

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
James
LRR Crew

TTC - Mailbag

Postby James » 14 Apr 2015, 16:48

Join Graham, Kathleen and Cam as they take your questions from Twitter and provide you with a rich supply of answers.
madman_oreo
First Video: Friday Nights The Return

Re: TTC - Mailbag

Postby madman_oreo » 14 Apr 2015, 17:46

splice in a tribal set would be interesting, just imagine being able to splice pepper smoke onto a fairy creature.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 15 Apr 2015, 04:39

I am actually stunned that when the "what is your favorite draft format" question came up, nobody said Conspiracy. Not upset or anything, just very surprised.

(and yes, personally I would have said Conspiracy)
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 15 Apr 2015, 11:01

Cards I have a hate on: Prophet of Kruphix
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 15 Apr 2015, 14:10

Graham: "Summoniner's pact [..] not that great". Well, if one discounts the last modern ProTour, the success of Amulet Bloom and how much mana that could generate... It could cast Primeval Titan on turn one and pay 4 the next turn, so the pacts were often acting as additional copies of PrimeTime.
For something more casual: Add a painter's servant and tutor for any creature. Add the card Re'ozul hates and do this and play it at instant speed. I think the ranking of the pacts is UGBRW - so Summoner's pact is ahead of slaughter pact. Negation beats it because it's a free counter as long as you win on your turn and storm isn't the only deck that can use it this way. It does see vintage play for that reason. But a SP can be value even if you play full for it. There are a few green creatures you might want to tutor for (and even at 6 Mana over 2 turns Goyf is good). But Prime Time gets you two of the lands you need to pay for the pact right away and the other two on the swing, so any SP is an additional copy of PT. Even if that was all it did, it'd be ahead of the other 3 pacts.

And for a general comment: Could you announce mailbox episodes on the forum as well as on Twitter. I don't use Twitter and I'm not going to start, but I might have a question. If you are collecting questions, this might be a good place to do so as well.

Also: It's been quite some time since we last got a card design challenge. I thought they were a lot of fun and would like to have another go sometime.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Apr 2015, 17:08

I guess what I was trying to get at with this set being more complicated is there are mechanics in the current set that are delayed or like the sieges that happen every turn.

With the other recent sets it was play a card mechanic makes a thing happen, now there are more play a card a thing will happen at a later time dont forget.

Scy Look at the top card of your library and put it on top or bottom (done)
Vrs
Rebound Cast the spell, then on your next upkeep cast it again

Heroic target creature with spell creature gets a +1/+1 counter
Vrs
Bolster The creature with the lowest toughness when the spell resolves (not cast) gets a +1/+1 counter
or Prowess Creature gets +1/+1 for each non creature spell you cast, plus a trigger ability on a lot of them

Manifest place the top card of your library face down its a 2/2 creature and you can flip it for its Mana cost or Morph cost if it is a creature.

In addition all the world enchantments that effect things every time a thing happens or on every up keep.

There are a lot of things that are not instantaneous, or have lasting effects.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 16 Apr 2015, 19:41

Kathleen - Helm of the Ghastlord is apparently even better than you think, because when you were reading what that card does you kept inserting the word "combat" into the two abilities linked to damage; it does not actually contain such a stipulation, the triggering condition is just "deals damage".

Granted, that's probably still just going to be via combat damage, but those abilities will trigger no matter how the damage to an opponent is done, provided the creature is Blue and/or Black at the time.
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 17 Apr 2015, 03:11

FYI, every single splice onto arcane spell was itself arcane.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
cog1to
First Video: Some episode of Friday Nights probably

Postby cog1to » 19 Apr 2015, 06:55

Is there a list posted anywhere in the internet for the Pauper Cube you guys mentioned in this episode?
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 19 Apr 2015, 14:54

James mentioned that he used Adam Styborski's list. Here's his latest updates to the list.
cog1to
First Video: Some episode of Friday Nights probably

Postby cog1to » 19 Apr 2015, 15:03

Thanks!

Return to “TapTapConcede”