The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Phailhammer » 11 Apr 2015, 01:32

Turns out my car may not be as lrrEFFed as I thought. There is most definitely a problem with the cooling system (barely managed to test drive it 3km before it began to overheat), but I've been recommended something that should fix the leak if there is one. The main problem at the moment is draining the cooling system; the coolant around the engine block itself is proving difficult (Dad and I aren't quite sure we're in the right spot; we'll ask our neighbour later). The starter motor has issues as well, but that doesn't seem to big an issue to fix ($200-300, apparently).
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Apr 2015, 06:29

Sleeping is weird... After a long night's sleep, I wake up feeling groggy. I go to the bathroom, and am like "It's Saturday. I'll go back to sleep for a little while." I go back to sleep, and after an hour, I wake up again. This time, pretty refreshed and ready to go. But... subjectively, both sleep events feel subjectively like they took the same amount of time, despite one being an hour and one being 8 hours.

Sleeping is weird.

Also, the fact that I had a dream one time that went on for at least a subjective hour... during a 10-minute nap.

Sleeping is weird.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 12 Apr 2015, 01:13

AdmiralMemo wrote:Sleeping is weird... After a long night's sleep, I wake up feeling groggy. I go to the bathroom, and am like "It's Saturday. I'll go back to sleep for a little while." I go back to sleep, and after an hour, I wake up again. This time, pretty refreshed and ready to go. But... subjectively, both sleep events feel subjectively like they took the same amount of time, despite one being an hour and one being 8 hours.

Sleeping is weird.

Also, the fact that I had a dream one time that went on for at least a subjective hour... during a 10-minute nap.

Sleeping is weird.

obligatory XKCD reference
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Apr 2015, 11:36

Hello everyone! I plan to sell greetings cards with my artwork on soon. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me about 5 pieces of work you would like to see on a greetings card. This would help give me a clearer idea of what would be liked and popular. You can see my images at: http://www.stephenwillisart.co.uk/gallery/ Thanks a lot! Description of the work or file name would be great.
PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME TO AVOID SPAMMING THE FORUMS

I didn't want to make a new thread. I felt like this was different from Share Your Art. This felt like the right thread to put this. Apologies to any offense caused by disagreement with the location of this post.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 15 Apr 2015, 16:31

So, I got woken up this morning to make sure I was ready to leave my house in case it caught fire. That was fun.

My neighbour's garage was engulfed in flames, about 30 feet high. Thankfully, as far as we know, nobody was actually living in the house at the time, and the fire didn't actually damage it either. Firefighters showed up within ten or fifteen minutes of being called, and were able to get it under control really fast. We have pretty big yards, so there's enough space that I wasn't that worried about mine, but still. Weird situation to wake up to. But given the size of the fire, it seems like just leveling a garage and stopping there was pretty lucky.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 16 Apr 2015, 16:50

I've entered into the world of Hearthstone.

It's been nice knowing you all.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 16 Apr 2015, 21:45

*salutes* It's been a pleasure. We will never forget you :P
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Apr 2015, 22:29

Forget whom?
demiteddybear
First Video: Unskippable

Postby demiteddybear » 17 Apr 2015, 03:27

Nothing like a shot of espresso and listening to some pump music to get me energised while I work starting at 5:30. This morning it was dragon force - cry thunder and the mortal kombat theme tune from the first movie.

CrazymaxI just downloaded hearthstone on my phone; I never had much interest in it as a computer game, but as a way to waste time, well that is a different matter. I also downloaded magic 2015 to see how they compare (to my shame I have never really played magic).
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 18 Apr 2015, 09:50

That moment in the middle of a festival screening where you see "Autumn" written on the screen as a new scene begins and you go "Fuck, it's one of those four-season movies, I have to go through this crap three more times!".
Redlin5
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Redlin5 » 18 Apr 2015, 16:09

That feeling when Daniel Craig tortures you in your nightmares. I'M SORRY DANNY
mtvcdm
First Video: Pokeproblem

Postby mtvcdm » 18 Apr 2015, 21:59

That moment when you're prepping to cross an international border by yourself for the first time in your life and wonder what kinds of things are in your average duty-free.

That subsequent moment when you find out the only thing you'd be even remotely likely to buy are M&M's, and that by extension you take the same interest in duty-free as your kindergarten-aged nephew.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 19 Apr 2015, 03:47

On average it doesn't really pay to buy anything at the "duty-free" because the prices have just been raised by more than the duty. (Seriously, most stuff at duty free stores is WAY overpriced. It's aimed at the suckers who think "oh, it's vacation, I deserve to treat myself".
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 19 Apr 2015, 18:09

Dutch guy wrote:On average it doesn't really pay to buy anything at the "duty-free" because the prices have just been raised by more than the duty. (Seriously, most stuff at duty free stores is WAY overpriced. It's aimed at the suckers who think "oh, it's vacation, I deserve to treat myself".

Except when you're from a country that heavily limits the imports and you wanna have some fancy stuff you can't get a hold of otherwise.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 20 Apr 2015, 04:16

I never got the duty-free craze, 90% of that shit is either perfumes or Toblerone.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 20 Apr 2015, 04:46

I hate Toblerone.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 20 Apr 2015, 06:00

Bebop Man wrote:I never got the duty-free craze, 90% of that shit is either perfumes or Toblerone.

Naha! At the JFK there's also an apple store.
Jokes aside, I have bought perfumes half the price at the duty free shop as well as tea and other edible stuff. I never go craaaaaaaaazy about it and I do think sometimes you get better prices outside the duty free shop but what's so wrong with treating yourself? If I go on vacation Imma spend! :D
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 Apr 2015, 09:43

I have bought whisky at a decent discount at duty free but Australia likes to tax imported spirts.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 21 Apr 2015, 12:45

I've hurt my wrist and it's gonna be four or five days til I can play games again. I'll just go ahead and assume the fetal position in the corner now.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 21 Apr 2015, 18:05

Watched Avengers 2 yesterday... it's okay. It's fun. It's essentially one long gasp before having to hold their air for another year. "Have fun with your action figurines, Joss, just make sure you don't break anything and put everything back where it belongs so you can do it again tomorrow". The more Marvel movies I watch, the more it feels like it's a TV show, except it screens on theaters and you only get one or two episodes per year. So again: fun overall, I just get the nagging feeling that there's nothing much to it.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Apr 2015, 21:19

So for those in their late 20s, early 30s, here's an interesting look on why our generation is unique, simply due to where technology was while we were specific ages.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Root potato
First Video: Friday nights

Postby Root potato » 25 Apr 2015, 00:15

So... The other day. I really needed a hug, and even lrrbot pushed me away. :(
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 25 Apr 2015, 00:22

AdmiralMemo wrote:So for those in their late 20s, early 30s, here's an interesting look on why our generation is unique, simply due to where technology was while we were specific ages.

That was nostalgic! A lot of generation x see generation y as the generation of apathy - spoiled by technological convenience & distraction. It's a view I respect because of our unique position in the chronology of the age of the internet. We were there when everything started to go wrong.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 25 Apr 2015, 00:24

Root potato wrote:So... The other day. I really needed a hug, and even lrrbot pushed me away. :(

Machines give rubbish hugs anyway.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Apr 2015, 09:59

Invited friends round for 2 minutes time. I invited them on Monday.
A few said they cannot come. Lets see if anyone actually turns up...

Not really sure what to do in the 'waiting time' to come.
---
I'm assuming no one's coming.

Return to “General Discussion”