Magnum Rewatch Ep12 - All Roads Lead To Floyd

Kathleen and Graham guide you through 1980s action awesomeness.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Magnum Rewatch Ep12 - All Roads Lead To Floyd

Postby Kathleen » 20 Apr 2015, 22:52

It's up to Magnum to track down a con man named Floyd so he can protect him from all the other people out to find him. Meanwhile Kathleen may be sick, but she is well enough to talk about auto insurance laws around the world.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Re: Magnum Rewatch Ep12 - All Roads Lead To Floyd

Postby DaMage » 21 Apr 2015, 01:35

I assumed it was going to be drugs....cause it's always drugs. Was surprised when it wasn't. Also, why did the asian guy need Floyd? SInce he shows up at the end he could have walked in and got those papers himself, or sent his henchman to do it...doesn't make much sense. Not to mention Burnside could have killed him soooooo much sooner, what was he waiting for?

The "TV detectives" line had me actually laugh out loud.

We didn't need to retroactively add a different era count as Kathleen started one of those last episode.
Rating: 7/10
Count Updates.
Murder Count: 3 (+0)
That's Racist Count: 3.75 (+0)
Different Era Count: 3 (+1)

Era Count: Gun in an Airport.
Ranneko
First Video: Checkpoint on PA

Postby Ranneko » 21 Apr 2015, 01:49

Do you need comprehensive insurance in Victoria BC?

In NSW you need 3rd party insurance to drive, but pretty sure that only actually covers injuring other people rather than property. So in NSW TC's whiplash would have been covered unless the old lady was driving illegally, but the damage to the Ferrari wouldn't have.
CulturalGeekGirl
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby CulturalGeekGirl » 21 Apr 2015, 03:39

I was sick last week so I marathonned Magnum and Magnum Rewatch. I wish I'd been taking notes the whole time, I would have a FEELS count going.

Also, I can confirm that "shot and a beer" is a thing people get all the time (which does indeed count as one drink) in good ol' boy dive bars in the deep south. So in some ways, that drink order was telegraphing a lot.

That said, I don't want to suggest that style of drinking is confined to a specific area. In the midwest you'll often hear people refer to a given bar as "a shot and a beer place" Indicating that they pretty much serve cheap liquor and beer, and ordering a shot-and-a-beer would be less unususal than ordering any kind of actual cocktail... which may or may not get you stabbed.

Now where I grew up in the Northeast and where I live now in Southern California, shot-and-a-beer is much less common - I can't remember the last time I heard someone order it outside of a biker bar... well, or Philadelphia.
EnigmaHarper
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby EnigmaHarper » 21 Apr 2015, 06:58

As a daughter of an insurance agent I can tell you that it is required by law to have car insurance to drive. However, people sometimes break the law. It might be accidental... insurance laspes or they forgot to pay or they are a brand new driver and do not know the law yet, but it does happen.

Random fact: some states have no-fault insurance. For instance, if you get in an accident in Minnesota, you have to pay for all your car's repairs even if it was someone else that hit you. This is why Minnesota driver's are simply the worst. :P
Anyone: Would you kindly <insert request> ?
Me: Great, now I can't refuse.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Apr 2015, 18:05

Say what you will about the KKK (which is probably a lot of things), but they do hate and protest against the Westboro Baptist Church... so that's something. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Zaz
First Video: Unskippable, Star Ocean

Postby Zaz » 25 Apr 2015, 08:30

Pretty much all of the 'It was a different time' counts has been airport-related, right? ^^
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 25 Apr 2015, 18:41

Zaz wrote:Pretty much all of the 'It was a different time' counts has been airport-related, right? ^^

One was also when Rick was sitting on the back of the ferrari as they drove across the city since Magnum and TC were in the seats. Today they obviously would be pulled over.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 03 May 2015, 13:47

Yeah, the 'no one ever wears seat belts in cars' would have be flagged (likely multiple times) as well - also I feel G&K have bumped into MANY more 'it was a different time' things than they've realized. :)

The insurance thing in fact was probably STILL a requirement back in 1980's Hawaii, but...it was a lot less enforced and people got away with it more because IWADT. ;)

Seriously tho - the Information Age hadn't yet centralized so much data and knowledge and distributed it so easily, rapidly and broadly to make so many things easier to check. For example, that Little Old Lady could've been pulled over for rolling through a stop sign, but unless the cop was abnormally...well, anal-retentive about procedure and protocol he wouldn't have taken up the dispatcher's time to call in and request her car's particulars be looked up and discovered she did not have current insurance so she'd just get off with a warning (because of her sad circumstances¹ {nowadays, patrol cars usually have wifi computers that can do all this faster and easier...and who knows, maybe soon they'll do it automatically with OCR software and the obligatory dash-cams without any action on the patrolman's part})

So yeah...a MASSIVELY, and pervasively different time...

Footnote:
1. ...if that sob story is actually LEGITIMATE - my Inner Cynic thinks that Magnum's 'got his good nature abused' Count had gotten upped by one there...

Return to “Magnum Rewatch”