Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Apr 2015, 17:35

Heyo, got a new retail copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order for $15. Nice!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 10 Apr 2015, 19:57

Nice. It's actually a really solid game in my opinion.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 12 Apr 2015, 03:01

With the help of my brother (just to avoid the hoops with the credit union), I got my Alienware Alpha last week. I know that I could have built a comparable system for less, but...

1) Existing desktop is showing is age & some components may not be upgradable (likely hitting upper limits of the motherboard).
2) Really don't have the space for a second full desktop.
3) General laziness - Not willing to go through the hassle of parts buying.

I went with their top option (i7 core configuration) & got a fairly good deal through my employer (scored 17% off the premier price... Which came in at roughly $200 off after adding a USB DVD burner to the order) & has handled practically every game that I've thrown at it from my Steam library at 1080p with minimal issues at recommended / default settings (I don't need every bell & whistle enabled). Even Minecraft has pretty stable performance (@ 60 fps, but did temporarily drop to 30 fps with some background stuff running).

It's practically turned into my goto platform for gaming & with in-home streaming via Steam, I can still utilize from the desktop while my roommates watch something on the TV (assuming they're not on it).

Dark Souls, Saints Row 3 & 4, Pinball Arcade & Hand of Fate have worked just fine with minimal graphical tweaks (except for Hand of Fate, where I actually increased the settings a couple of notches since it started at bare minimums). GTA V will be the real test, but it has the recommended settings covered... so I'm not worried.

Beside upgrading to Windows 10 when it comes available (8.1 is OK, but the split personality with the start menu the only complaint when I go into desktop mode), I'll likely use it for at least 5 years (possibly 10, assuming no critical component failures... but would pare back the newer game as it ages) before I replace it... but that's just how I tend to roll with PC's.

With my roommates & the availability of 360 controllers in the apartment, I might have to pick up Screen Cheat for some local fun. :D
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Apr 2015, 21:17

-
Last edited by Kapol on 12 Apr 2017, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 18 Apr 2015, 09:47

Been replaying the good old Monkey Island games (first three). It's amazing how 15 years later I'm still discovering new things in them. I miss these kinds of adventure games. Nowadays everything is so streamlined that it feels like you're connecting the dots between movie scenes.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 19 Apr 2015, 22:46

I was playing Smash Bros 3DS online. Ended up in a Just For Fun room with one other person. I randomized my character and ended up as Mewtwo. My opponent was Mario. We were in the LoZ valley stage.

We both taunted a couple times, then moved to either side of the bridge. They started throwing fireballs. I took a couple, then started bouncing them back. They started bouncing them back. We ended up spending the 2 minute game basically playing tennis in Super Smash Bros. And it was fun.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Apr 2015, 08:18

^ I miss that multiplayer gameplay. Basic "dicking around" for fun.
I miss it.

It's all now so serious.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 20 Apr 2015, 12:04

Apparently Smash Bros 3DS "For Fun" servers are just for that. At least in the middle of the night. I actually had a harder time finding a serious game than a goofy one. Like shortly after posting, I ended up in a game with a Jigglypuff. Then, another person became a Jigglypuff. Then I became a Jigglypuff and the last person became Kirby. We spent the entire game singing, rolling, and taunting. Then Kirby left, and someone who wanted to actually fight joined. We fought them IRSB. It was pretty goofy.

On the one hand, it's goofy and obviously for fun. on the other, it's kind of annoying when you're looking for a semi-serious fight.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 26 Apr 2015, 16:12

Orc Shanking Simulator 2015 was on sale this weekend, so I picked it up. What? oh, I mean Shadow of Mordor.

Lots of Orc stabby fun, and I really like the world that gets built around you. All of the Uruks fighting amongst themselves, with different strengths and weaknesses. The sneaking is good, the combat is good, the whole thing looks gorgeous, there's a lot of lore stuff happening (thought I'm not a Tolkien fan, so less interesting to me).

Very good. Lives up to all the hype it had when it came out.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Apr 2015, 16:33

I picked up Shadow of Mordor too. It's a really good game. I'd originally gotten it for 360, and it just does not work on the older system. It was so bad that, despite liking the game, I sold it and decided to wait to get it for PC. Slow load times (pausing took 5-10 seconds just to load the menu, then another to load the game), texture pop-in, and muddy looking world.

But the PC version seems to look and run very well. I'm just getting started with it, but the controls are still tight and fun. It feels like a more open-world Batman game where any enemy can become a major baddy.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 26 Apr 2015, 17:00

Also, I wanted to call out one particular piece of gameplay: On your minimap and just looking about, one orc looks about the same as any other orc. But if you use your detective vision- uh... I mean, wraith vision, you can pick out the captains, who are much tougher.

Except I would usually forget to do that unless I was hunting for one, and let me tell you, it's really rather exciting when you drop down to sky-murder a random patrolling guy, only to find out he's actually Urthuk the Facestabber, when he grabs you by the throat and throws you into a wall, and a helpful pop-up tells you that he's immune to stealth attacks.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 27 Apr 2015, 18:48

I for one stand by Kojima San.

I OFFICIALLY JOIN THE KOJIMA WORLD ORDER AND REJECT KONAMI.

A BOW CHICKA WOW WOW A BOW CHICKA WOW WOW.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 May 2015, 07:35

I am now playing Drago/v Age I/vquisitio/v.
-
Update. I'm shocked by how much I liked Sera when I first met her. She comes across as annoying with all the promo stuff. In game she seems normal and funny.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 03 May 2015, 22:44

While I wouldn't describe Sera as normal, I freaking love her to bits. :D
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 05 May 2015, 13:20

So I've been getting back into Dwarf Fortress a lot recently; I was wondering if anyone who wanted to learn (but maybe put off the steep learning curve) would be interested if I wrote a short guide on how to set-up a basic fortress and where people could ask questions as they go along?
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 05 May 2015, 16:48

That would be fantastic!
I've been trying to get into Dwarf Fortress for about 4 years, but I've never got past the initial setup phase.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 May 2015, 08:40

What Robo said - I've been 'dabbling' with it on and off for years, but the sheer complexity keeps me from properly getting started. :)

Also, in other news, Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell:

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 May 2015, 12:27

I've gotten into Agar.io and it's pretty fun. If you've ever played Osmos or Tasty Planet, this is like a multiplayer version of that. Fair warning: If you're easily offended, turn off "names" as it seems to be highly populated by 4chan folks, which can sometimes be offensive.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 May 2015, 16:09

I continue to play RE6 with my friend online. We're wrapping up the fourth and final campaign. There're more cons than pros to this game at this point, but we've been doing it for so many months now it's gonna be a bit depressing once we're done.

I'm also playing Arkham Origins, which isn't as bad a game as I was led to beleve, though it's easily the lesser of the Arkham games and a relative disappointment when compared to them.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 May 2015, 06:56

I don't like Viviene from DA:I. She's not a pleasant character.
At least Morrigan in DA:O was witty with her rudeness, and if you got to know her, you got to understand her.

Viviene doesn't make me want to know her better. Besides Cassandra does the "abrasive person who happens to be a woman" role already. I don't know why I need it in a less engaging and mage format.

I learnt of her story pre-launch and she seemed interesting. A pro-circle Mage. But, she's not pleasent to engage with. I have had no space so far to speak to her on a human level. Will be interesting if I feel the same by the end of the game.

I met Cole. I don't see why he's a Rogue besides him liking to stab things and that the companion roster lacked a rogue option.

Blackwall feels like an NPC. I'm sure his personality will be Bioware-standard interesting... but his character design looks like an NPC I'd get a quest off.
At least Sera's bad character design makes her look like she is a Bioware Companion.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 12 May 2015, 11:38

I loved Vivienne as a character, precisely because I couldn't stand her. She was such an evil person who made quite a lot of sense in her Pro-Circle comments.

Cole is an interesting character, not the best I feel. But his character-quest is great because it asked me the hardest question in the game.

Blackwall is my beau and I will fight you! :P

And if with bad design you mean Sera's crooked nose, uneven face and unruly hair, that is very much intentional I think. Also, she is fantastic and I hear her voice in the back of my head sometimes with good wisdom.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 May 2015, 14:48

I would have liked a Vivienne that was pro circles and was proud, but you could see her humanity.
Maybe I might see it later.
I'm at High Hold

I love Sera. I will make a female character just for the sole purpose of exploring her romantic path.

I noticed my party consists of Me, Dorian, Ironbull and Sera.

My party is very un-heterosexual. That's just how it's happened.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 12 May 2015, 18:54

Well, I'm done with RE6 :P Goes to show any game is fun if you're playing it with your BFF.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 May 2015, 23:59

So next up, Prayer Warriors? :p
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 13 May 2015, 17:57

That sounds delightful.

Return to “Video Games”