TTC 86 - Vorthos Story Time

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
James
LRR Crew

TTC 86 - Vorthos Story Time

Postby James » 20 May 2015, 21:11

Graham, Kathleen, and Cameron talk about being a "Vorthos", someone who enjoys Magic storylines.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Re: TTC 86 - Vorthos Story Time

Postby LokiTheLiar » 21 May 2015, 06:12

That was such a fun episode, I loved the stories about deckbuilding. It would be awesome if there could be a whole episode where every memeber of the crew talks about his/her favorite deck.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 May 2015, 07:40

Graham these are natural Zabrak skin patterns with Maul in the lower right, all non-patterned skin tattooed red.

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
swilensk
First Video: Friday Nights: The Return

Postby swilensk » 21 May 2015, 07:42

I think the awkward "any player may activate" wording is because the person who cast merseine owns the enchantment and the activated ability is only on the enchantment and not the creature, so the person who owns the creature needs to be able to activate the ability which the caster controls.

it would be easier if the enchantment read (in the correct template of course): merseine has 3 net counters. As long as merseine has counters it doesn't untap. Enchanted creature has "pay the mana cost: remove a net counter from merseine

This makes the creature's owner control the ability rather than the enchantment owner.
Zaghrog
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby Zaghrog » 21 May 2015, 08:44

The place shown in the Theros block story video ending is not Nyx, it is the Underworld. Those are different places.

Also, the fact that Elspeth's death mask was not worn suggests Elspeth is not a Returned, not yet anyway. If she were a Returned, she would likely cease to be a meaningful character as Returned retain only some parts of their minds, losing most of their mental faculties.
JWiley129
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby JWiley129 » 21 May 2015, 11:31

The Uncharted Realms, Stirring from Slumber, was really good and I quite liked how just out-of-it Nahiri was during the entire story. She devolved into "I'm immortal and nothing really matters except for the Eldrazi being contained." Her thought processes were even to a point that I thought she could no longer be considered a white planeswalker, probably down to WB if I had to guess. But she recovered her senses at the end and had actual desires.

I'm curious to see what happened from there and what happened between Nahiri and Sorin in those 1000 years between then and now. I'm crossing my fingers for a Boros Nahiri in BFZ block.
Loonatic1993
First Video: "Black Metal and Nudity"

Postby Loonatic1993 » 21 May 2015, 13:22

Planeshift was part of easily one of my favorite blocks (Invasion block.) One of my favorite moves was to play Mystic Snake to counter something and then use Fleetfoot Panther to get him back.

So essentially, for seven mana, I could counter a spell and have an extra creature, all at instant speed (assuming that I had Snake out already.)

Had a really fun "Bant" Type 2 deck that a won bit more than 50% of the time. It also had Sliver Drake. My bombs were Iridescent Angel, and Charging Trolls with Armadillo Cloaks.
OneirosGolem
First Video: Checkpoint - Blizzard of Cash

Postby OneirosGolem » 21 May 2015, 13:27

It's probably not much of a combo, but if you want to make Domain work but you don't want to have a pile of WUBRG lands, you can get there in (basically) one card with Nylea's Presence. (Mostly I just want to hear about someone successfully using that card for that purpose.) Also, bonus value for letting you activate Landwalk abilities by enchanting an opponent's land.
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 21 May 2015, 14:45

FYI, the Rathi overlay was the second phase of Yawgmoth's 3-step plan to conquer Dominaria, and is the event that gives the set Planeshift its name. He basically Ctrl-X/Ctrl-V'ed the entire plane of Rath onto Dominaria. And since he had stationed millions of Phyrexian troops in Rath, the overlay meant that the nations of Dominaria suddenly had a metric buttload of enemy soldiers on thier front lawns. In any case, one of the side effects of the overlay was that many creatures were transmogrified into different creatures. All of the "gating" creatures (guys that bounce other guys on etb) in Planeshift depict this phenomenon.

Heliod killed Elspeth because he didn't like the idea of a mortal who was capable of killing a god. Never mind the fact that he's the one who tasked Elspeth with killing Xenagod in the first place. Heliod is a paranoid, vindictive bully, whose ego is as big as it is fragile.

Nahiri's reaction to the Kor's revisionist history.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 21 May 2015, 15:09

It's too bad this was recorded before Drop for Drop was put up. Because that was sweet... even if someone who didn't read the Theros block e-books might have been a little lost. Kind of awesome to see the big scrap between Kiora and Thassa... even if Kiora didn't get the super-awesome kraken that housed a whole damn city that she wanted. But she did get to steal Thassa's bident, and be totally badass doing it.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 21 May 2015, 15:42

Graham: If you're going to make a Commander deck using all snow lands called "The Great White North", I can think of no more appropriate commander to use than this fellow.

It works on so many levels.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 21 May 2015, 16:55

"Hubrific"

"The Eldrazi's Taint" "Phrasing..."

"Feed. Me. Kor." Ryback is an Eldrazi?
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
S.K.Ren
First Video: It's Magic

Postby S.K.Ren » 22 May 2015, 09:54

What Mersine should be:

As Mersine enters the battlefield, put 3 Net counters on Mersine.

Enchanted creature does not untap during it's controller's untap step as long as there is a net counter on Mersine.

Enchanted creature's controller may pay that creatures casting cost to remove a net counter from Mersine. Treat this ability as a mana ability. (Mana abilities do not use the stack and do not require priority to be activated)

Return to “TapTapConcede”