The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby LokiTheLiar » 23 Apr 2015, 12:43

-2 Curse of the Swine
-2 Gold-Forged Sentinel
+4 Ornithopters
+2 Negate + 2 Disdainful Stroke in the sideboard.
Other good addition to the deck would be the Ghostfire Blade cause it can make some of your draws extremely explosive and hard to deal with for the opponent.

Also your deck will have problems in fast matchups because most of your threats are really mana consuming, so a good option would be to try and make it a little bit faster so that it can keep up. That also gives you more chance in the control matchups, when you're kinda trying to go under and overwhelm them before they can stabilize themselves.
Here's a list I came up with for the artifact theme in Standard.
Unfortunately it's hard to stay artifact based in the current meta, because there is no card that can take this deck over the top, like Siege Rhino or Dragonlord Ojutai. :( Have you considered shifting it a little bit more toward Mono Blue Devotion?
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 13 May 2015, 22:52

Random thought: How much do you think would be fair to pay for an Enchantment that reads "{G}: Add {2} to your mana pool"?
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 13 May 2015, 22:58

probably 3 mana, because it doesn't require tapping.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 14 May 2015, 02:55

That's an interesting question. Honestly, I don't know if that enchantment would be that great no matter what. Only being able to double green mana, and even then only turning into colorless, doesn't seem amazing to start. It seems hard to really get to work in any multi-color deck. Mono-green would like the ramp. But I don't know if it would be better than, say, devotion was for green.

I guess I would say the GG or maybe 2G would be the right price. But I don't know. That could be too cheap and the enchantment could be busted.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 18 May 2015, 12:04

So I'm able to buy a box of Mirrodin Besieged this week for £80. I sthis a good idea or not? If I do I'll probably just draft it if possible, and if not, I'll open the whole thing.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 May 2015, 13:27

I say go for it.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 19 May 2015, 06:45

Yup, I would say it's probably worth the money. Even if you don't open all the bonkers rares, it will be a blast to draft.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 23 May 2015, 07:36

MBS wall the small set of the block, so ideally if you can also find a box of SOM for fairly cheap, that's the best way to draft it. (I feel like New Phyrexia didn't support the themes for the block draft very well, though. I prefer SOM block draft as just 3 SOM or 2 SOM, 1 MBS. Either way, GB Infect was insanely fun to draft, honestly, just because of how much fun I had with the deck, I love this format more than most people do. Cystbearers for life.)

If you do just draft 3 MBS, I still stand behind my GB Infect recommendation. Rot Wolves, Septic Rats, Blightwidows, and Viridian Corrupters still can make a good deck.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 23 May 2015, 11:52

Question: what's the absolute minimum number of lands I can run in a sixty card deck to reliably hit two lands on turn 2? The deck's curve tops out at cmc 2, and there are rituals - so ever hitting a third land is not an issue.

I'm building modern grixis storm feat. Blistercoil Mantle.
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 23 May 2015, 15:56

UR Storm plays 16 lands, albeit with 16 one-mana cantrips (4 Serum Visions, 4 Sleight of Hand, 4 Gitaxian Probe, 4 Thought Scour).
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 26 May 2015, 16:22

So I'm looking at finally going to my first Legacy tournament, and I have two potential options coming up in the next couple weeks. Both of them are at stores I've never been to before. The one closer to me is this week, costs $25, and will definitely be offering prizes to top 8 (possibly more than that), up to a Wasteland and store credit for first place. The one farther away is next week, costs $10, and has a variable prize structure depending on how many people show up. I almost certainly won't be going to both, so which one seems like the better option for me to try?
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 27 May 2015, 10:15

How much farther away is it, and how confident are you in your Legacy deck?

I personally would go for the $25 one, but if you have an untested brew, rather than an actual tier deck you're practiced with, I'd recommend the $10 one, as it's likely a better way to just get some deck experience.
eostby

Postby eostby » 27 May 2015, 11:22

It's about a 20 minute difference, and while I don't have a tier 1 deck, I think it's comfortably hanging out in the (rather large) tier 2 of Legacy (it's Solidarity, if that helps; Reset Tide if it doesn't).
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 28 May 2015, 09:53

Okay, I know Solidarity can be rough in a meta that packs a lot of disruption, how do you feel about your ability to beat opposing Force of Wills, do you have anything akin to Snap in your sideboard to play through hate bears, like Thalia/Gaddock Teeg? How do you feel about your sideboard in general?

Typically, I find combo deck such as Solidarity are as competitive as their sideboard is, so if it's tuned well, you can expect to do well.
eostby

Postby eostby » 28 May 2015, 11:30

This is my current list (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-11-14-solidarity/). The only thing I might want to dig through my cards for is an Echoing Truth, but I don't know what I'd cut from the current board to fit it in (and I don't really think moving a sideboard card main to go 61 is correct right now).

Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 29 May 2015, 08:13

Oh, I'd never suggest going to 61.

Obviously I don't know the metagame, but your deck list looks well equipped to play through hate with the mainboard Flusterstorms and the ability to Cunning Wish for sideboard tech.
eostby

Postby eostby » 29 May 2015, 11:56

Yeah, having never been to this store before, I'm not really sure what to expect as far as meta considerations, so I'm figuring on the most generic sideboard I can, plus the two Blue Blasts as a hedge against any red hate cards. With the rise in OmniTell recently, I might see if the store has a Surgical Extraction for sale on Sunday, just in case I want something else there, but it's not a top priority.

Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 29 May 2015, 20:44

Makes sense.

How does the deck seem to run against dredge? Obviously they help you out some by reducing your mana/storm needed, but I think it might be worth sticking in a second Ravenous Trap. Surgical Extraction is good against Dredge, but it's not a game breaker for them, and I like the have at least 2 actual game winners against them in the board, particularly going to an unknown meta, since Dredge is a fairly common deck, due to the low price of it.
eostby

Postby eostby » 29 May 2015, 21:39

I don't really know. Probably depends on the draw a bit, but as long as I can combo off and not die immediately to combat, I think I'll be fine. Worst case, I hope to have a Turnabout to tap down the team if it looks threatening.

Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 02 Jun 2015, 12:32

So I am relatively new to magic and I have am building an esper dragons variant for standard. I have been trying to figure out if it is better for me to be on the play or on the draw in my matches. I expect the games to go long, and I prefer the card advantage, but it is worth giving my opponents the advantages that come with being on the play?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Jun 2015, 12:45

Unless there's a specific reason you want to be on the draw, I always recommend being on the play, when possible.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 02 Jun 2015, 22:06

You want to be on the play. That way you have mana advantage for casting your counters/removal.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 02 Jun 2015, 22:11

I see. Thanks for the advice :)
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 03 Jun 2015, 05:52

in case of esper dragons it's really not worth it to let your opponent play first, because a lot of your land come in to play tapped. being on the play means you can first turn thoughtseize/duress your opponent or more often play a tapped land, which potentially lets you play and untapped land on your second turn and pass it to your opponent keeping up Silumgar's Scorn.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 03 Jun 2015, 06:19

Yeah, it all depends on the deck. With Esper Dragons, I would agree that you would want to be on the play first for mana purposes. You'll be drawing a bit, so the card loss shouldn't matter.

It's all about what deck you use, and what would bring the most advantage to you. . My Modern infect wants to go first, since it's hyper-aggro, and wants the least resistance from my opponent. However, my modern 8-Rack wants to go second, since they won't draw a card, and playing another, so there's less cards I need to make them discard.
Credit to Foxmar

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”