The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 05 Jun 2015, 13:57

Runners collective; I seem to remember some time ago LRR taking part in a thing where they wrote a comedic 'job interview' for the Boros Legion. I remember it being kinda funny, and have tried searching for it, but I have no idea where it might be hiding. Any thoughts, or am I just getting my dreams confused again?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 09 Jun 2015, 03:33

That sounds familiar actually. Or maybe it just sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure... I'll have a gander around.

Also: before rotation, I want to at least once try out this mono blue ensoul/clones thing for FNM Standard. The basics are -

Ensoul Ornithopter/Citadel
Illusory Angel
Mirror Mockery
Fated Infatuation
Artisan of Forms

Any suggestions on cards that will make this less terrible, (in particular - clone targets and Artisan triggers?
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 09 Jun 2015, 04:31

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Runners collective; I seem to remember some time ago LRR taking part in a thing where they wrote a comedic 'job interview' for the Boros Legion. I remember it being kinda funny, and have tried searching for it, but I have no idea where it might be hiding. Any thoughts, or am I just getting my dreams confused again?

That doesn't really ring a bell to me... I could be forgetting something, but I don't think that's a thing LRR has done.

Closest I can think of is that "Chandra Audition" video that Wizards did as a promotion for a contest with Duels 2014, which Kathleen was a part of. But that video doesn't seem to exist any more...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 10 Jun 2015, 18:23

Since when was Cavern Of Souls a $35 card? Since when were the foils over $100!? I have two foils and non-foils. Glad I traded for them when they were cheap now...
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 10 Jun 2015, 19:38

This is doing the rounds everywhere else, I suppose it should probably be here too: someone fed the text of every magic card into a neural network, and it's generating new cards. And they're hilarious.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/612057-generating-magic-cards-using-deep-recurrent-neural

While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 10 Jun 2015, 20:24

Needs more CHINES WOR SORD.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 11 Jun 2015, 03:39

Kapol wrote:Since when was Cavern Of Souls a $35 card? Since when were the foils over $100!? I have two foils and non-foils. Glad I traded for them when they were cheap now...

You can use http://www.mtggoldfish.com/ to see how the price history of a card
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Jun 2015, 05:15

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 05 Jul 2015, 08:29

I don't know if anyone still checks this thread so I might make a separate one for this but I need some help to make a janky cube.

My friends and I realized how much fun it is to play kitchen table casual decks but the idea of competition keeps making us build actual decent decks so we thought of an ability cube. Every colour combination will be built around some sort of theme or ability. I know like all cubes are built like that but the plan is for them to be not great uses of the ability. For example R/G fight limited to only 4+ mana fight cards, or fight at random cards. We also really want curses but turns out most of those are rare.

Regardless if you guys have suggestions or ideas for abilities or keywords for colour combinations that are really fun let me know.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
eostby

Postby eostby » 05 Jul 2015, 16:00

UG could be Clone/Biovisionary based, but that might force you to be careful with what green beaters you put in.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 05 Jul 2015, 20:58

yeah we were debating on having some bad form of graft or land fall for U/G. With Master Biomancer I do really like the way graft looks.
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
eostby

Postby eostby » 06 Jul 2015, 11:48

And you could top that curve off at 6 with a couple of legends in Experiment Kraj and Prime Speaker Zegana.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 07 Jul 2015, 00:13

HI GUUUUUYYYYYYYSS!

"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 09 Jul 2015, 01:02

I think I need an intervention. My inner Spike became so dominant I can no longer build more casual decks that aren't focused only on winning. Most of the time I play in tournaments and it doesn't bother me, but in a couple days I'm going to a convention and would like to have a couple decks that aren't my tournament decks. Not everybody there plays EDH (but even in EDH I tend to be a monster, playing Winter Orb).
Anybody has any cheap, easy to put together deck ideas, that are fun to play with and play against?
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 09 Jul 2015, 01:41

Grab a Intro pack and focus it's theme. That's what I do for all my decks and they end up good, but nowhere near insane.

I currently have a Dash deck. R/B, bunch of creatures with Dash and a few cards that trigger when creatures enter the battlefield. I'll try to remember to post the decklist once I'm home later today.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jul 2015, 02:58

Back on the subject of the Neural Network cards, I want me some "Spronghack"

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 09 Jul 2015, 08:07

In regards to building a deck that isn't excessively competitive for a casual format, I like to intentionally build janky things. My goal is to one day assemble a combo that wins the game only after I manage to get eight or nine specific permanents into play simultaneously. So far, it's been a challenge to even find a combo that requires that many components.

Another idea: perhaps you could focus on creating little goals for yourself - board states to try to create before you can go for the win, like having an Abyssal Persecutor, a Platinum Angel, and a Platinum Emperion on the battlefield simultaneously.

Or you could try to pilot the "I'll play what you're playing" deck, which runs nothing but clone effects and methods of playing them multiple times (Elite Arcanist imprinted with Supplant Form, for example).

And one last thought - maybe a "strictly worse" deck, where you design a competitive deck and then look for cards that do the same thing, but cost a little more, or require a tap, or have some weird condition.

Or just try to talk everyone into Archenemy and put on your best villain face.
eostby

Postby eostby » 09 Jul 2015, 12:14

Atifexe wrote:
Or just try to talk everyone into Archenemy and put on your best villain face.

I feel like I've seen this video before.... :P

LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 09 Jul 2015, 13:06

The "I'll play what you're playing" deck seems cool :D It may be exactly what I'm looking for and I'll finally get to play Blatant Thievery, Bribery, Notion Thief, and Villainous Wealth in one deck. Thanks Atifexe :D
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 11 Jul 2015, 08:34

Can someone who understands gatherer link me to a search for standard white, black and colourless cards with "enchant"? I wanna toy around witht he idea of building a standard enchantment deck, but after spending 15minnutes to try 8 different variations of gatherer searching with 0 results on my capped net, I'm done trying, I know some people understand how the damn thing works, I just stupidly assume adding search paramaters the way they say they're being added means I'll get the result they imply. To date I'm yet to ever touch an advanced search that returned a single result.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 11 Jul 2015, 10:14

With Gatherer you have to change the colour qualifier from "and" to "or", or it will search for cards that are both black and white (and colourless).

I generally use magiccards.info as it has a much better search function.

Note that Origins is not yet up on either though.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 11 Jul 2015, 11:11

origins is on gatherer, and I'd honestly recommend abzan for the enchantments deck, because of the bear that reduces their cost is in green, and the leftovers from constellation.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 11 Jul 2015, 12:05

I'm not gonna waste my money on Theros stuff, it's viable for what, a month?

I'm thinking Black/Red splash white. Red just has so many nice beatdown enchants that are dirt cheap, stack them on a Blightcaster and you got some nice beats and -2-2 everywhere. White's also got some nice cheap control and auramancer. Maybe R/W splash B since all black really uses is removal and Blightcaster.

And thaks Fantome. I really hate Gatherer, most unintuitive thing ever.

RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 12 Jul 2015, 10:15

the_lone_bard: It's around for 3 months. I look forward to playing goblins in that time.

So with the SDCC panel showing a bunch of BFZ stuff and the use of the word allies, I'm really starting to suspect that Allies are returning in a much higher capacity now, possibly among all the Zendikari faction. I'm really hoping they are because they were my favourite thing about that block. I'm also expecting Landfall to come back and Full-Art land as well, which I'll be a little annoyed about as I consider Zendikar land to be hideous. Anything people are really hoping for?
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 12 Jul 2015, 12:10

Allies returning? Oh yes, yes, yes. Let me tell you bout my favourite play ever.

4 way free for all game. Kitchen table rules, but mostly "extended standard" since Standard at the time was Shards and Zendikar, but we also had access to Eventide/Morningtide boosters, and some occasional older random cards. My deck used none of these.
G/U/B allies. Artifact on the field that I can pay 2 to put a token copy of a creature with haste in whenever I cast a creature. Shards card, forget its name.
Field has a couple of Halimaar excavators, some of the green +1/+1 dudes for defence, otherwise, I've just been ramping to hell and back, something like 15 mana to everyone elses 8 or so.

And then I cast a Hagara Diabolist, and 3 Halimaar excavators, copying all of them. So, for those that don't know, Hagara diabolist deals damage equal to the number of allies you control when it enters the battlefield. Halimaar excavator mills cards equal to the number, they also all trigger posthumourously.
In one turn I milled 1.5 peoples librarys, and killed everyone at the same time. Just stacking triggers everywhere. Never again did anyone let me sit in the corner and just ramp out while I "wasn't a threat."

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”