Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
DeathByCat0618
First Video: LoadingReadyRumble2

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby DeathByCat0618 » 11 Jun 2015, 02:07

I don't see what you mean by "She only has one relevant ability". Both of her abilities are usable. She is very much playable as a red black dragons Commander
Remember, even if you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 11 Jun 2015, 14:08

So I've been working on my ten Ravnica Guild decks and so far the one I'm most fond of is Varolz. I've been playing around with him, with some further testing to come tomorrow and I'm wondering on how I could improve it because it feels less powerful than I feel it could be. The point is to have some sac outlets so I can get rid of some big but cheap creatures (Conifer Strider and Myr Superion being 2 great example) but I'm wondering if I should run Skithiryx or Grafted Exoskeleton as a good win con? Here's the list:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-06-15 ... ari-swarm/
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 11 Jun 2015, 15:23

I'll admit I just looked at that list to see if you included a specific card, and since I didn't see it, I'll suggest it - Death's Presence. Any green deck that involves sacrificing creatures can probably find a use for that card.
DeathByCat0618

Postby DeathByCat0618 » 11 Jun 2015, 23:27

Maybe a Hardened Scales, Undergrowth Scavenger, or Mer-ek Nightblade
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 12 Jun 2015, 06:25

Fauna Shaman, Buried Alive et al. let you pick your scavengers.

Phyrexian Dreadnaught and Death's Shadow have insane low CMC to high power ratios.

This deck could be hilarious.

edit: And I just remembered that Necroplasm is a thing...
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 12 Jun 2015, 11:56

DeathByCat0618 wrote:I don't see what you mean by "She only has one relevant ability". Both of her abilities are usable. She is very much playable as a red black dragons Commander

Pretty sure they misread your initial post and thought you were talking about building a deck around the DTK Kolagahn, not the FRF one, as that does in fact only have one relevant ability in Commander (haste for your stuff), with the other ability relegated to a pile of words that don't do anything in a singleton environment. Either that or just lamenting that the elder dragon version has a second ability that is useless in a format originally derived from elder dragons.
DeathByCat0618

Postby DeathByCat0618 » 12 Jun 2015, 23:41

Ok, that makes much more sense
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 13 Jun 2015, 14:04

Just had a fun game. Storm Herd out on turn 6 for 36.
One turn later Rhys game out and I had sigil of the empty throne to make me some angel with some other cards.
After another player went full eldrazi I managed to get mimic vat and parallel lives out and won. (killed his pathrazer then mimiced and rhysed for 2 temporary and 4 permanent pathrazers).

Though one other player was 5 color humans and it seemed sweet. He only died because the last player had omnath (as commander) and lots of things to make him indestructible and make him effectively unblockable.
DeathNDecay
First Video: I dont remember

Postby DeathNDecay » 14 Jun 2015, 07:12

Alright, after failing to create two edh decks (Goblins and some sort of grixis deck) I picked up the pieces and made this sweet Marchesa, the black rose deck. If you have any suggestions let me know, but this deck is pretty sweet right now :)
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-06-15-marchesa-edh/
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 17 Jun 2015, 17:12

That deck seems pretty sweet. It's definitely missing Soul Conduit, which is a must for any Marchesa deck. It switches life totals so it can easily get you off the throne. Triskellion is also pretty good here as it has the potential to go infinite with Mikaeus.

So I got tired of waiting for the chance to own better slivers, so I built my Sliver commander deck. Not sure who I should use as the general. Currently I'm using Overlord because he tutors, but I feel like Hivelord is a defensible pick over Queen and Legion. I'd also like to know for brag rights that my Overlord is an old-border copy. (They are not easy to find, just like Queens) Any suggestions on some Slivers I need to get?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-06-15-nothing-new/
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 18 Jun 2015, 01:02

Some slivery suggestions:

Clot Sliver & Crystalline Sliver - keep your slivers slivering.

Barbed Sliver - uses up mana, gets there late game, and really messes up combat between opponents if you consider running Imagecrafter effects.

Harmonic Sliver & Necrotic Sliver - kill stuff.

Cavern of Souls & more fixing.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jun 2015, 06:42

Some suggestions:

Runed Stalactite: Turn a non-Sliver into a Sliver
Mutavault: Land that becomes a Sliver
Rivals' Duel, Roar of the Crowd, Weight of Conscience: Removal
Blades of Velis Vel, Ego Erasure, Nameless Inversion, Shields of Velis Vel, Wings of Velis Vel: Combat tricks that count as Slivers (For your Door of Destinies or tutoring)
Amoeboid Changeling, Unnatural Selection: Turn non-Slivers into Slivers temporarily; Also works well with Overlord to help you steal opponent's creatures
Shapesharer: If you put Changelings in your deck, you can make them become copies of your best Slivers, like Megantic, Thorncaster, Fungus, or Brood
Avian Changeling: Sliver that flies
Changeling Berserker: Big Haste Sliver
Changeling Hero: Lifelink Sliver
Mirror Entity: A good finisher
Taurean Mauler: Sliver that slows down opponent's game
Adaptive Automaton, Brass Herald, Shared Triumph, Obelisk of Urd: Sliver Anthems
Coat of Arms: Big buffs for Slivers
Konda's Banner: Put on one of your Legendary Slivers to give big buffs
Belbe's Portal, Urza's Incubator: Gets your Slivers out cheaper
Cryptic Gateway: Gets your Slivers out faster
Mana Echoes: Get colorless mana for casting Slivers
Descendants' Path: Cast your Slivers free
Riptide Replicator, Volrath's Laboratory: Pump out Sliver tokens
Doom Cannon: If your Sliver's about to get killed, turn it into a projectile

Mistform Ultimus: Just for funsies :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 18 Jun 2015, 08:58

Just a note that Mana Echoes + Sliver Queen goes infinite after a couple activations.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 23 Jun 2015, 00:54

So after yet another Friday Commander day ending in my defeat and the win of the resident Control player, I've caved and decided I will proxy up a deck, and I need some help with it. I've already decided I want to build A Zur the Enchanter deck, and have a whole bunch of cards book-marked and set aside in my binder, I just need help putting it together. Anybody have any experience in this area? I can provide a list of he stuff I want to try out, and I'm open to playing anything, as anything is allowed to be proxied.
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 26 Jun 2015, 19:56

What kind of control is he playing? Uncounterable creatures or Hexproof / shroud could help with some control.
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 07 Jul 2015, 21:31

Hey Everyone!
My Drunken Fighting Polukranos is a big success in my playgroup. It is fun and fair. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Next for me will be to use that Dragonlord Atarka I got at the DTK prerelease (opened her, the FRF version and Savage Ventmaw. Love gruul dergons!). I was listening to the backlog of The Command Zone, a podcast I just recently discovered when Graham went on, and there was a spotlignt on a budget Xenegos deck that I taught would be perfect as a base to build my Dragonlord Atarka deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/godzilla-final-wars/
I have not yet played the deck yet. I wonder if I should keep Atarka as the Commander or put Xenegos on top. Xenegos is such an engine for the deck.

I breakdown this deck in the following categories:
The Kaijus
My big beefy creatures, Dragonlord Atarka being the king of all monsters. I plan to 1shot out of the blue with commander damage as much as possible. If I can only play 1 per turn, it is not too bad because if it can get Haste and / or trample, the damage swing can be backbreaking. They are Kaijus after all, they wreck the city wherever they go.

Boring scientists.
The utility creatures... there are always stupid human science shenanigans going on in Kaiju movies. It is not always as good as in Godzilla Final Wars (My favorite Godzilla movie). Unexciting but necessary.

Double it up!
Double Strike and/or Double Damage, both is the best! If Atarka gets Xenagos'd up and attacks with double strike, it is GG or a boardwipe.

Harder Better Faster Stronger.
Pumps, Trample and haste are super important for this deck. I try to have it on the creature themselves as much as possible, but it is not always on. If Atarka is not going to close off the game for me, the rest of the kaijus needs to get there.

Ramp (I know, boring, but it is 1am here)
well.. something needs to be in each decks. 7 cards including 2 planeswalkers and a dragon that fill multiple roles.

I'm light on draw and tutors. In the maybeboard there are a few I don't own but plan to buy in a far future. Domri, Worldly and Fauna shaman. I need to fix that but I'm getting so tight on the cards that I can realistically cut. I also need to make room for removal that is something else than my reusable fighting.

I am looking for suggestions on cards I have not taught of yet. Discussion of Xenagos VS Dragonlord Atarka are welcome. If you have questions also, feel free to ask.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 08 Jul 2015, 04:57

*Combo Witness mode on*
Good Day Sir!
Have you considered adding Savage Ventmaw and Aggravated Assault to your deck for infinite face-smashing?
*Combo Witness mode off*
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 08 Jul 2015, 18:41

I already have a deck that utilizes infinite combat with Aggravated Assault so I try to shy away from it in my other decks. It is a meta call, but I don't want to be "That guy".
In my narset deck, I already draw a lot of aggro and my politics skills are stretched thin. I break the Sword of Feast and Famine + Agg Assault when the game has gone too long and we are starting to just want to shuffle and start a new one.
That's why Hellkite Charger and Aggravated assault are conspicuously absent from this deck list even if Savage Ventmaw did make the cut.

My current big shiny "lets finish that game" option is a swing for basically 64 flample from D.Lord Atarka. I'm also considering investing some summer overtime money in a 1shotrobot (Blightsteel collossus) Warstorm Surge + haste could kill 2 opponents outright.
ONLY do this if the table is getting tired of the game kids! If you pop this on turn 7 just "to utilise your mana" you may lose friends.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 25 Jul 2015, 15:10

so, I built this a little while ago and after some new additions from Friday, I've finally gotten around to putting it on TappedOut. I know that SFG does nothing right now, but that's what I need help with. I would like to know the best burn spells to play in this deck. I should also probably put something like Dictate of the Twin Gods in to make them better.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-roaring-tempest/

Suggestions and things to remove?
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 26 Jul 2015, 08:57

I'm a big fan of Stolen Identity in Voltron / Double Strike strategies. I'm not sure how Sigil of Valor works for you. You barely have any creatures or token generators.
Hidden Strings in this particular strategy feels odd because you need to cast something to give your dudes double strike so this particular Cipher doesn't help you due to the damage needing to have been done prior. It doesn't really help to untap your own stuff as from what I see your tap ability are your mana ramp.
Same with the Hands of Binding to a lesser extent because at least the stuff stays tapped, so you get some control / politics.
The deck appears to be light on card draw. I'd swap in some stuff for Treasure Cruise, Bident of Thassa, Commander's Sphere and Dreamstone Hedron (doubling as a ramp card too), and many other Artifacts that offer repeatable card draw.

Suggestions to make your Soulfire Grandmaster better:
Jeskai Charm & Boros Charm. They can do 4 to the dome and have other modular options if you don't want to draw agro with only 4 damage.
Rootborn Defense also would protect you from board wipes as well as giving you 2 monk tokens out of a Monastery Mentor (cast RD, mentor trigers, putting a monk, then RD resolves, Populate)
Charmbreaker Devil: Once you find some more burn to use SFGM with, you can recur them with the devil if they do go to the grave. Moreover he can recur your extra-turn shenanigans too. he works especially well with some Delve cards as you can delve away what you wouldn't want to recur to limit the options. He also has some sort of prowess with +4/+0 every time you cast a sorcery or instant.

Have you looked into Starfield of Nyx? you have a lot of enchantments, getting them back from the graveyard could be a nice plan. It can return auras and doesn't make them them creatures.

I like where the deck is heading.
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 01 Aug 2015, 15:11

Probably another of these in this thread already, but I'ma do it anyways. Phage the Untouchable. I made it. I think the deck is kinda silly and not that great, but I love it.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/phage-and-her-untouchables-aka-everything-dies/

I would, however, like some suggestions for improvements. My playgroup on campus is faster and spikier than at home (and no, I'm not replacing her with Erebos, even though it would still be in flavor). I'm dissatisfied with my lands (it feels like I should have more lands with effects), but I don't know how much of an issue that really is. Mostly, I'm looking around for interesting creatures/effects that can help make it function better. I can't actually kill that many things now that I look at the list and a lot of my stuff is either really expensive or clogging up my 3-drops.
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
Aviator Moonshine
First Video: In Command (Most likely)

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 05 Aug 2015, 12:39

Artirian_Legacy wrote:Probably another of these in this thread already, but I'ma do it anyways. Phage the Untouchable. I made it. I think the deck is kinda silly and not that great, but I love it.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/phage-and-her-untouchables-aka-everything-dies/

I would, however, like some suggestions for improvements. My playgroup on campus is faster and spikier than at home (and no, I'm not replacing her with Erebos, even though it would still be in flavor). I'm dissatisfied with my lands (it feels like I should have more lands with effects), but I don't know how much of an issue that really is. Mostly, I'm looking around for interesting creatures/effects that can help make it function better. I can't actually kill that many things now that I look at the list and a lot of my stuff is either really expensive or clogging up my 3-drops.

The concept looks fun(nasty for your opponents.) But I'm a bit concerned that your commander is a bit un-reliable. You only have one way of getting her out.(2 if you count the torpor orb that you plan on getting.)

I mean, if you like it, then that's that. But for the sake of being nice and giving alternatives.
-Ashling, The Extinguishable- would fit very nice in your kill everything deck.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=151137

She's cheaper, has the same P/T and lets you choose a creature that you force your opponent to "Sacrifice". So, getting rid of stuff like Avacyn is rather easy for you.
If not as a commander, I would at least recommend getting her into your deck. She would fit perfectly in it.
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 05 Aug 2015, 12:59

Aviator Moonshine wrote:The concept looks fun(nasty for your opponents.) But I'm a bit concerned that your commander is a bit un-reliable. You only have one way of getting her out.(2 if you count the torpor orb that you plan on getting.)

Her unreliability is actually kinda the point. She's supposed to sit in the command zone for most of the game (the one place that is truly untouchable). Understandably, this puts me at a disadvantage, but if I need to swap her out, I most certainly will (the Timmy in me still likes winning).

Aviator Moonshine wrote:...-Ashling, The Extinguishable- would fit very nice in your kill everything deck.

... If not as a commander, I would at least recommend getting her into your deck. She would fit perfectly in it.

I'll look into acquiring a copy. That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. She would also make a fine backup commander, should I actually need to, you know, win games. Thank you!
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
Aviator Moonshine
First Video: In Command (Most likely)

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 05 Aug 2015, 14:46

Artirian_Legacy wrote:-snip-

You're welcome.
I've got her in my Mono Black Commander. She can be a monster if you get her unblockable.
I remember one time when dueling my friend, I got her out and was able to attach Whispersilk cloak onto her.

He was kinda "on the edge" until he drew into a mass removal spell. :P

As with the name, that's pretty clever. :>
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 05 Aug 2015, 15:19

Do you realize you cannot cast your general? The command zone is not your hand... you are basically running a 99 cards singleton deck right now.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”