Feed Dump 209 - UK Tourism Edition

News, with silly hats.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Feed Dump 209 - UK Tourism Edition

Postby Kathleen » 17 Jun 2015, 00:23

This week, Beej and Andrew find out a lot of... personal things about Merry Olde England.

https://youtu.be/mnTC0AfCa9c
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
wizzerd229
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: Feed Dump 209 - UK Tourism Edition

Postby wizzerd229 » 17 Jun 2015, 00:30

there is no way in hell ALL of those names are real
I owe Graham a beer.

Zeke229 on twitch

ask me shit ask.fm/Zeke229

become my steam friend ( i dont multiplayer though ) http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zeke229

Pronouns They, their
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 17 Jun 2015, 01:29

Nork is slang for breasts here, so totally deserves a place on the list.

wizzerd229 wrote:there is no way in hell ALL of those names are real

Considering our ancient ancestors went around drawing giant penises on the sides of hills in chalk, I can totally believe that entire list is real. In fact I'm surprised it's so short - I know they could have included places like "Hole of Horcum", "Honey Knob Hill" or "Twatt", for example :D
Brett.50
First Video: a sketch in 2007

Postby Brett.50 » 17 Jun 2015, 01:31

I can confirm that Horncastle, Lincolnshire is real as I went to school there!
PerpetualOddness
First Video: MEN

Postby PerpetualOddness » 17 Jun 2015, 01:47

I can also confirm that Ramsbottom, Lancashire is real for that is my home town. We're real, and...yes, we have a few sheep.

Rather boringly, the prevailing theory for this name is that it is named after a type of garlic that grows in the bottom of the valley. Nowhere near as fun as you might think :-\
Twinklefeet
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby Twinklefeet » 17 Jun 2015, 04:27

There is an amazing cider brewery in Tutts Clump that makes some incredible drinks. They make the rounds at ale festivals and other such drunkeries. Also I grew up very near to a place called Three Cocks. It never stops being amusing.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 17 Jun 2015, 05:16

As a Briton who enjoys "The Meaning of Liff" to a slightly worrying degree:

1) Not only can I entirely confirm that everything on that list sounds legit, and that I've heard of or been to several of them, but it's reached a point now where nothing on that list surprises me
2) The main things I was concentrating on during that part were the occasional spelling mistakes and Graham's kinda hilarious pronounciation
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 17 Jun 2015, 05:19

Also, on a related note of English place names, please feel free to enjoy a famous urban legend which does the rounds online every so often:

"The Cock Inn" is actually a pretty common name for a pub around here- there's one just down the road from my home town. There is also, apparently, one in the borough of Tillet in Hertfordshire, specifically in the small hamlet of Erbum. The place is said to be owned by a woman named Linda Lykes, who thus receives letters addressed to:

Linda Lykes
The Cock Inn
Erbum
Tillet
Herts

Fairly sure it's not true, but to be honest it's entirely believable
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
theknightofiron
First Video: phailhaus episode 1

Postby theknightofiron » 17 Jun 2015, 05:54

Apparently they brought this sort of naming with them when they colonized Australia
we have a whole suburb here in Perth called cockburn. its pronounced co burn (and no one will give me a legitimate reason why it should be pronounced like this)
GNU - Bill Watt
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Jun 2015, 06:14

While we're on the topic: Dildo, Newfoundland.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 17 Jun 2015, 08:00

I've been to way too many of those places. Deadpan Graham makes it even better.

Excellent episode!
undecided44

Postby undecided44 » 17 Jun 2015, 09:02

The name change story sparked a memory of mine about this story, in which the voters in Gay Head Massachusetts, a small town on the island of Martha's Vineyard decided to change the name of their town to one in the language of the Wampanoag (the local Native American tribe, who constitute a large percentage of the town's ~200 residents [as of the mid 1990s]). The town of Aquinnah still proudly claims the historic Gay Head Lighthouse.

Note the complete seriousness of the 7th 'graph of the NYT story about the campaign's focus on recognizing the town's history as a predominantly Native American community, and nothing to do with "the 20th-century connotation of the word 'gay,' which meant something quite different when it was affixed to this area during the 17th century."
building on Uno's Minecraft server as ff4ede (pronounced as an exaggerated version of forty).
mtvcdm
First Video: Pokeproblem

Postby mtvcdm » 17 Jun 2015, 09:37

Quick note about the FIFA bit: Sepp Blatter, after resigning, then speculated about a week later that ehhhhhhh maybe I'll run for re-election to the seat I just said I'm vacating.

There's also the bit about CONMEBOL (South America) headquarters in Luque, Paraguay- a suburb of Asuncion- somehow managing to get itself embassy powers, making the police unable to prosecute for any crime occurring on the grounds. Nobody in the Paraguayan legislature knows for sure how that happened because they don't always read the stuff they're voting on.

There's also the FIFA-made movie United Passions, which made a whopping $607 on opening weekend, also known as 'maybe enough to win a Desert Bus silent auction, maybe, perhaps, if the bidding stays relatively quiet'.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Jun 2015, 10:10

I always think the address joke gets better each time you use it. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

ZZ9PluralZAlpha
First Video: 1st Commodore Hustle about magic?

Postby ZZ9PluralZAlpha » 17 Jun 2015, 10:34

The thing about those names is, most of them were probably named before those words were anything close to being considered rude. Still, no one likes to make fun of those names more than we Britts do.
As for the road name in Kent, as someone who went to college not far from there, I can report that people are just weird down in the bottom right hand corner of the country.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 17 Jun 2015, 15:03

theknightofiron wrote:Apparently they brought this sort of naming with them when they colonized Australia
we have a whole suburb here in Perth called cockburn. its pronounced co burn (and no one will give me a legitimate reason why it should be pronounced like this)

Cockburn (pronounced Cobain) is a common enough surname, particularly in Wales. Not sure why the pronunciation/spelling has evolved that way.
mikeyjh
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby mikeyjh » 17 Jun 2015, 16:37

and more and more believable.

thanks all.

AdmiralMemo wrote:I always think the address joke gets better each time you use it. :D
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 17 Jun 2015, 17:03

Guys. You forgot my favourite one: Bell End, Worcestershire.

(And yes, that one is indeed real)
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 17 Jun 2015, 21:22

mtvcdm wrote:Quick note about the FIFA bit: Sepp Blatter, after resigning, then speculated about a week later that ehhhhhhh maybe I'll run for re-election to the seat I just said I'm vacating.

Someone needs to inform this guy that prosecutions don't work like flicker effects in Magic, and you don't stop being targeted just because you briefly leave and then come back...

Also: "10 Downing Street, Ottawa, Canada" came very close to breaking me at my office desk...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Lucy_Valentine
First Video: Checkpoint

You missed one...

Postby Lucy_Valentine » 18 Jun 2015, 15:16

This town in Yorkshire got one of my friends in trouble when her job took her there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penistone
008Zulu
First Video: Hot Water at PAX

Postby 008Zulu » 18 Jun 2015, 16:36

There's a town in Queensland, Australia named "Blackbutt".
Being a responsible adult just means starting fewer fires than when you did as a kid.
Stellapacifica
First Video: A Feed Dump of some sort

Postby Stellapacifica » 22 Jun 2015, 13:58

My hat! You have my hat! Agh, the honor is overwhelming. I hope it serves you well forevermore. Also, if Tally wants to give it a hat-hat, I'm sure she's seen that tumblr post as well. As far as odd road names go, for what it's worth, I live near Po`ope`e (pronounced poh-oh-peh-eh, sort of). It's Hawaiian, but it still says poopee.

Return to “Feed Dump”