Spoiler Season: Magic Origins

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Re: Spoiler Season: Magic Origins

Postby eostby » 19 Jun 2015, 14:46

Spartan_N30 wrote:
fantôme wrote:Baby Gideon is pretty bonkers, Boros aggro certainly looks like it'll be a real force in standard.

That Death & Taxes is looking more and more like a menagerie of white legends makes me a little sad though.

Also new spoiler: Chandra mum & dad! I'm hoping we also get Lili's grandma, Gideon's schoolteacher, Nissa's bonsai tree and Jace's goldfish. Or something. (I don't really follow the lore...).

i'd play the shit out of jace's goldfish

And here I thought we'd already seen Jace's Goldfish: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=370638. And its little bro, for that matter: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=249672
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Jun 2015, 16:46

Sphinx's Tutelage is just itching my Mill senses. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Spartan_N30
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Spartan_N30 » 19 Jun 2015, 17:22

Sphinx's Tutelage fells like a throwback to Grindstone
When all else fails.... use duck tape

EDH deck: Prosh, Skyraider of kher
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 19 Jun 2015, 19:57

If only it didn't have the non-land clause. "We don't want you having fun with Painter's Servant!"
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
MowDownJoe

Postby MowDownJoe » 22 Jun 2015, 15:20

So... All is Flat. Looks like we'll be getting a solid 4-mana board sweeper, soon.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 22 Jun 2015, 15:23

It doesn't kill Rhino though... which might just make it even more powerful.
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 22 Jun 2015, 16:44

My heart is hurting so badly right now, and I don't even know the story behind it.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jun 2015, 17:36

Mechanically, I want to run it in a Standard deck for the short time when it and Theros block are together. All the enchantments.

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 23 Jun 2015, 09:09

Frickin' sweet.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 23 Jun 2015, 10:23

So Starfield of Nyx seems powerful, makes me want to put it in some kind of Enduring Ideal deck in modern.

Day's Undoing is Time Twister with a serious drawback... BUT... it's interesting that you can completely avoid that drawback if you have Leyline of Anticipation in play, in which case you get to essentially play with a Vintage restricted card in Modern.

Considering that Leyline of Anticipation already lets you do some busted stuff...

Interestingly as an Instant the drawback might sometimes actually be a benefit. If your opponent is comboing off or burning you out on your turn you can instantly end the turn by casting Day's Undoing in response.

Honored Hierarch is a joke though. You're unlikely to be able to get in damage with it unless you play it turn 1, and then you've got a mana dork you can't use on turn 2 because it doesn't get vigilance until AFTER you swing with it the first time. Oiy.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Jun 2015, 11:23

Utilitarian wrote:Honored Hierarch is a joke though. You're unlikely to be able to get in damage with it unless you play it turn 1, and then you've got a mana dork you can't use on turn 2 because it doesn't get vigilance until AFTER you swing with it the first time. Oiy.
It seems like it's designed for fixing, not ramp, though.

Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 23 Jun 2015, 12:07

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Utilitarian wrote:Honored Hierarch is a joke though. You're unlikely to be able to get in damage with it unless you play it turn 1, and then you've got a mana dork you can't use on turn 2 because it doesn't get vigilance until AFTER you swing with it the first time. Oiy.
It seems like it's designed for fixing, not ramp, though.

So, let's say that's true. It's turn X, and I'm missing one of my colors, and I have Honored Hierarch. I play Honored Hierarch on turn X. On turn X+1 I attack with a 1/1 creature with no evasion. If, by some chance I get my creature through, it triggers renown. Now on turn X+2 I untap with Honored Hierarch and NOW I can use it to fix my mana.

If I'm in need of mana fixing, fixing that takes a minimum of three turns to work and requires me to do combat damage with a 1/1 is not the fixing I want.

This card is a classic Best Case Scenario mentality card, where people imagine it on turn 1 and think "hey that's not so bad" but it's miserable on any other turn and it's not even that good on turn 1! (what if I'm on the draw? My opponent says Land-Go, I go forest HH, my opponent goes land two drop. Now HH is a dead card)

*edited to correct numbering*
Last edited by Utilitarian on 23 Jun 2015, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 23 Jun 2015, 12:33

You messed up your example a bit, as the end would be X+2, not X+3 unless you have to skip a turn.

But I agree. The fact this has to hit first is a big deal. And you either have to use another spell to help force it to get through, or be lucky enough to swing into an empty board state. For a second I thought it might be a decent budget replacement for Noble in infect since that plays so much pump anyways. But since it doesn't actively help other infect creatures, I don't think so.

I wouldn't be surprised if this saw a bit of standard play in a green deck that needed fixing badly. But even then, it seems iffy.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 23 Jun 2015, 12:34

So it's been mentioned that each plane in Origins will be represented by a color pair. As of right now, it looks like Ravnica is G/U, Zendikar is R/G, and Regatha is R/B. I have a sneaking suspicion that Lorwyn's color combo is G/W, since that's the color combo of elves, and Lorwyn was Nissa's first planeswalk.

Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen all but confirms an Elf tribal sub-theme, and I think Honored Hierarch is here to go with what I assume is a G/W aggro deck. The problem is that Honored Hierarch is too complex for common and simply doesn't /feel/ like an uncommon, even if you tweak it. I believe that it's just a rare because it's not a common or uncommon, and it's here because they need it for a block theme/sub-theme.

Additionally, the fact that it's a "joke" won't come up very often, simply because it's a rare, so it won't show up much. It's kind of like how Altar of the Brood is a junk rare. Sure, it does things if you build the deck around it, but who's going to do that? And you probably don't even want it in the deck it's made for, anyway.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 23 Jun 2015, 12:56

Kapol wrote:You messed up your example a bit, as the end would be X+2, not X+3 unless you have to skip a turn.

But I agree. The fact this has to hit first is a big deal. And you either have to use another spell to help force it to get through, or be lucky enough to swing into an empty board state. For a second I thought it might be a decent budget replacement for Noble in infect since that plays so much pump anyways. But since it doesn't actively help other infect creatures, I don't think so.

I wouldn't be surprised if this saw a bit of standard play in a green deck that needed fixing badly. But even then, it seems iffy.

Yep, I did indeed mess up my numbering these.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 23 Jun 2015, 14:15

Gotta love the moment when timestamps come up in a spoiler article (re: starfield of nyx)
MowDownJoe

Postby MowDownJoe » 23 Jun 2015, 14:54

Asthanius wrote:So it's been mentioned that each plane in Origins will be represented by a color pair. As of right now, it looks like Ravnica is G/U, Zendikar is R/G, and Regatha is R/B. I have a sneaking suspicion that Lorwyn's color combo is G/W, since that's the color combo of elves, and Lorwyn was Nissa's first planeswalk.

Elves are G/B. There are plenty of black Elves in this set and in Lorwyn.

But yeah. Lorwyn will bring more G/B elf goodness.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 23 Jun 2015, 15:52

Lorwyn-Shadowmoor has 10 black Elf cards and 12 white Elf cards, so I consider that plane's elves to be more white than black.

But yeah, now that you mention it, I forgot that Origins already has two black elves in it.
Last edited by Asthanius on 23 Jun 2015, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 23 Jun 2015, 15:57

Asthanius wrote:Lorwyn-Shadowmoor has 10 black Elf cards and 12 white Elf cards, so I consider that plane's elves to be more white than black.

Lorwyn and Shadowmoor don't exist at the same time though, with Shadowmoor having the white elves and Lorwyn having the black elves. Given that it would appear that Lorwyn specifically is being visited, it would lend credit to the G/B nature of that plane, along with the fact that we have green and black elves spoiled and no white elves spoiled.

Though, to be fair, one of the black elves that HAS been spoiled for M:O is Ravnica Golgari themed so it's by no means clear.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 23 Jun 2015, 16:01

Although we will be visiting Lorwyn specifically, it's my understanding that by the end of that block, Lorwyn and Shadowmoor "fused" together and doesn't change anymore.
Spartan_N30

Postby Spartan_N30 » 23 Jun 2015, 16:02

Thank GOD that tainted remedy wasn't around during theros standard, otherwise my selesnia midrange deck would have been complete garbage

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 23 Jun 2015, 16:05

Speaking of Tainted Remedy, the Tarkir duals gain life, so...that'll be fun.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 23 Jun 2015, 16:17

Asthanius wrote:Although we will be visiting Lorwyn specifically, it's my understanding that by the end of that block, Lorwyn and Shadowmoor "fused" together and doesn't change anymore.

Indeed, though At the BEGINNING of Lorwyn block we saw the Lorwyn 5 planeswalkers all introduced together as fully formed planeswalkers. If we assume that the awakening of the M:O planeswalkers all happen at roughly the same time, it would indicate that the events of M:O take places before the start of Lorwyn block, chronologically.
Spartan_N30

Postby Spartan_N30 » 23 Jun 2015, 16:18

Asthanius wrote:Speaking of Tainted Remedy, the Tarkir duals gain life, so...that'll be fun.

Computing significance of sentence..........Error, Spartan_N30 has crashed due to Enormity of realization

Spartan_N30

Postby Spartan_N30 » 23 Jun 2015, 16:20

Utilitarian wrote:
Asthanius wrote:Although we will be visiting Lorwyn specifically, it's my understanding that by the end of that block, Lorwyn and Shadowmoor "fused" together and doesn't change anymore.

Indeed, though At the BEGINNING of Lorwyn block we saw the Lorwyn 5 planeswalkers all introduced together as fully formed planeswalkers. If we assume that the awakening of the M:O planeswalkers all happen at roughly the same time, it would indicate that the events of M:O take places before the start of Lorwyn block, chronologically.

The plainswalkers were actually supposed to be in Future sight, but due to some time restraints, they were pushed to the beginning of the next block.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”