The thread of win

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Re: The thread of win

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Jun 2015, 17:20

I won first place in a flm festival criticism competition! Feeling very good with myself. I haven't won any prizes for my writing in years, and this is the first time I win for writing something that isn't fiction. Let alone a movie review.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 26 Jun 2015, 10:16

Bebop Man wrote:I won first place in a flm festival criticism competition! Feeling very good with myself. I haven't won any prizes for my writing in years, and this is the first time I win for writing something that isn't fiction. Let alone a movie review.

Yaaaay! I already told you this but: Congrats! :D (and also, panda hugs)
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 26 Jun 2015, 10:47

w00tles!

ImageImageImage
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 26 Jun 2015, 11:43

Got my vacation pay today and ordered the LRR seasons 4 and 5, whatever thing, CH and crapshots S1 DVDs. I nearly canceled when I saw the shipping costs (HOLY HELL, 60 dollars for 5 DVDs isn't half steep...) but decided it is worth it.

I had hoped to also buy a science shirt, but unfortunately the XL and 2XLs are sold out.

Now all I have to do is wait for the parcel, then finish my living room and set up the DVD player to actually watch them :-P
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jun 2015, 23:56

After a relatively lousy day yesterday, I had an awesome day today.

Went to my uncle's 50th birthday party.
While there, he taught my dad and I a new card game, and we taught him one as well.
I had a great dinner.
My cousin gave birth to a healthy baby boy (not at a hospital, either).
I won 2-1 twice in the LRR FanDraft, when I hardly ever get 2-1.
I won the latest LoadingReadyLeague match 2-0.

Today was a good day.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 29 Jun 2015, 13:36

Just got home from a pretty great vacation of sorts - took a bus down to Tacoma to stay with my girlfriend on the 6th, spent a week and a half there, then drove back up together. After a couple days at my house, we went to stay at a family member's lakefront cabin in the middle of nowhere (read: the BC interior) for another week, away from the internet, chores, and people in general. I haven't had that much time off since... I don't even know, it's been at least five years I bet.

Anyhow, it was a much needed break from regular life and a chance to just shut off my brain and relax without much of anything to worry or be anxious about, and now I'm feeling tired, but calmed down and I guess even rejuvenated. It's nice.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 02 Jul 2015, 03:17

Just had a nice birthday, went into Leeds, gave blood, my sister had baked me a banana and white chocolate cake, beat my sister's housemate at chess, watched most of Jurassic World except it was such a balmy day that the cinema broke, so we got a refund and a free ticket for next time, so we went had a quiet cider.

Nice, quiet day.

My parent've invited a bunch of family over for a weekend bbq, so I'm going back there today or tomorrow to help set up.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Jul 2015, 15:06

Watched the Phantom Menace at my house with two mates from Church. If you've been in the depression thread you will know how Win that is.
I don't feel as isolated anymore.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 Jul 2015, 15:25

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Watched the Phantom Menace at my house with two mates from Church. If you've been in the depression thread you will know how Win that is.
I don't feel as isolated anymore.

Wait, wait, wait, you used Phantom Menace to help alleviate some depression? No, no. That's not true. That's impossible!
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Jul 2015, 15:31

We enjoyed commenting on it ;)

Stage 1 of the marathon.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 07 Jul 2015, 12:17

Welp, after not quite two weeks since I was let go, I've gotten something I haven't in probably three or so years of 'part-time jobsearching'...

...a callback!

We stepped out to run a couple of errands, and the message was on the machine; called right back and got the HR person's voicemail, but I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and call 'em right back tomorrow morning! :D
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 07 Jul 2015, 18:03

Just finished a near-week-long period with my girlfriend (she came up here). Due to various factors, it had been over six months since we'd seen each other in person. We're planning the next one to not be so long away from this one (~ a month and a half or so). :D
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 09 Jul 2015, 02:28

Well today just did a 180 turn so fast I think the days neck snapped, at least that explains why it's dark out! (Other than it being 8pm.)

Community housing fell through. Decided to check some stuff. SO, I went to buy enough food until next Friday, expecting slim pickings. $2 for 2 large frozen fish pieces, 1/2 price. $8 for 1kg of chicken goujions, 1/2 price. 24 "sweet and sour" (Please be as good as I hope!" mini spring rolls, 1/2 price. 600g frozen potato bake $3, 30% off. 2 for $2 110g boxes of Cheezles, save $1.50. The price of my tobacco has randomly gone down almost $3. All in all, I walked out with $17, I was expecting spare change for the bus. 35minutes till the bus comes, I've been craving Red Rooster chips for ages but it's far from the bus, screw it I can walk home. Go in, order, all the girls working are having a good night. One of them accidentally drops one of the fish pieces for my order, me being polite me to customer service employees. "That's alright, don't worry about it, I'm not going anywhere in a hurry!" and for that, I got a free large chips ontop of my order.

Get home and check my facebook messages. I'd sent 2 off before leaving, one to a mate in Rosebud, him and his girlfriend have made the offer for me to move in with them for awhile a few times, Penny especially has shown up more and more frequently telling me to just move in with them for awhile. So I was checking that, price, rules, time period etc. Offer is still open, price is $150 a week, I get the equivilent of $170 a week, but it includes all bills and food. And, I can now get slightly more, like an extra $50 from Centerlink because I'm paying them over $125 a week in rent. IF the social worker falls through next Tuesday that is, maybe I'll get lucky and get a magical surprise 1 bed place somewhere through them. But, rules are, don;t smoke in the house, tell mate before I invite anyone over for his paranoia, I said "I'll trade ya, your paranoia for my trauma induced anxieties :D" That's it. No insane bullshit, just that. Still waiting on a response for how long I can stay, but anything is better than what I've got now.

And, while typing my response to him, Terry, the local game store owner messages me back, great guy, runs a great store. Sadly, a regular was in there earlier this week, and immediately after went home and killed himself. I didn't know the guy at all, but people are taking it rough as it should be. He's been looking for basically any good news from people, because he's a good guy, he's always happy to chat with me when I go in and a bunch of others too. Obviously he has to run his store when customers show up, but there's been days I go in there and talk with him about whatever for 6 straight hours. So, tomorrow I get to give him the good news, I'm no longer impendingly homeless, or facing a sudden move across the country where my life is gonna be just as difficult but in different ways. And, I get to wait until tomorrow, because he's totally cool with me playing the midnight pre-release for Magic: Origins tomorrow and paying him back the Friday after when I get paid.

Hell, I even have half a bottle of cheap whisky, 1.25ltrs of cola and 5.5ltrs of my favourite energy drink left from my birthday spending spree.

I'm scared, cause the universe doesn't work like this for me, so many good things, I'm gonna walk out the door and get hit by a random comet tomorrow at this rate... But shit guys, for the first time in forever, my life isn't following the usual "Minor good thing, shitload of bad things immediately following" pattern. I might actually do it, I might manage to start sorting my life out after all this time...

Oh and for extra randomness, I made a joke in a TAlesfromretail thread before I went out this afternoon, come back to 34upvotes and OP commenting "This comment is gold." Usually when I post on reddit I wind up with a pretty positive upvote ratio, but also a few assholes responding.

Shit, I fell asleep and am dreaming didn't I?
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 09 Jul 2015, 02:37

And this deserves its own response. Got my response back on timing, it refers to my grandmother. "We're pretty much happy with you staying as long as you need to get back on your feet as long as you're not staying with Hitler."
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 09 Jul 2015, 07:24

YEAH! Guess who has two thumbs and just got accepted to an English teacher course at univeristy? ME, MOTHERTRUCKERS! That's who! (also reserve for the Psychology course. So might still get onto that one!)
Hurp-De-Durp!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 09 Jul 2015, 07:32

Woo, congratulations! :mrgreen:
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 Jul 2015, 07:55

I have been issued a British ancestry visa.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Jul 2015, 09:30

Well done.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 09 Jul 2015, 09:47

Double W00t's are in order! Nice one guys!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 09 Jul 2015, 20:18

W00ts all around! the_lone_bard you are not dreaming and I am so happy for you. Hopefully I will be posting here after the Magic Origins Prerelease. You should read the Planeswalker stories on the wizards website, they are Made of Win.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 09 Jul 2015, 20:46

My book will be printed on monday! yay!
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 10 Jul 2015, 05:12

Thanks for the congrats!

And congrats, Vis and Chrusher!

Whats the book about? :)
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Jul 2015, 15:07

This teach yourself Spanish book I bought last week is kinda helpful.
What was saddening me was I would have questions and I couldn't ask my friend for answers because I didn't want to pester him.
But the book explained the "v" and "b" thing. Also the áccénts.

A little light.

Knowing welsh helps with the pronunciation a lot. Terrible at R rolling. I think that just my dyspraxia.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 13 Jul 2015, 18:43

Deedles wrote:Thanks for the congrats!

And congrats, Vis and Chrusher!

Whats the book about? :)

Ehh, it's about the iahr system. It aims to be a comparative study on the iahr system and the european human rights system. I was in charge of the whole statistics part (woohoo)
The important thing is I'm being credited (which is all that matters, hehe)
Hekla
First Video: The Whole Story: Desert Bus

Postby Hekla » 14 Jul 2015, 04:49

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:This teach yourself Spanish book I bought last week is kinda helpful.
What was saddening me was I would have questions and I couldn't ask my friend for answers because I didn't want to pester him.
But the book explained the "v" and "b" thing. Also the áccénts.

A little light.

Knowing welsh helps with the pronunciation a lot. Terrible at R rolling. I think that just my dyspraxia.

Welcome to the 'knowing a little Welsh helping with languages stuff' club!

I would caution that teaching yourself a language is rather difficult, and having somebody else learning with you is a great aid. I've dabbled in learning Icelandic in the past, but have pretty much decided that I either need to go and live in Iceland, or at least try and learn with somebody else, which is difficult for me to work out. I imagine that if you do end up moving to Spain, it will be much easier to pick up the language.

But I'm glad the book is helping with some of the basic pronunciation questions you had.
I'm also QuintonDreaming. Stupid username availability prevents me from always being an Icelandic volcano.

Return to “General Discussion”