The thread of win

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Re: The thread of win

Postby betsytheripper » 14 Jul 2015, 14:02

My city has a Bike Loop, which is about 12 miles of designated bike paths through parks and green belts and a few quiet residential streets. After getting my bike working on Saturday after 2 years of storage, I ventured forth and conquered the Loop today. It was a struggle, as I'm not in any kind of shape (unless you count "round"), and my legs are like jello, but I feel awesome about it. Yay biking!
-betsy
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Jul 2015, 14:21

Working on a painting for some friends as a wedding gift.

Got discouraged due to it not going how I want.
Looks depressing and stormy so far.

Today I compared it to the reference photograph again and it's fine. It's just because I painted the dark bits first, the whole thing looks bleak. On the photograph the green balances out the bleakness and adds light.

I feel encouraged!
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 15 Jul 2015, 09:26

Seems like a silly win, but since I started wearing make-up I have noticed a definite increase in my self esteem and how I view myself.
Yesterday I took the time to do my hair and put on make-up. I felt adorable.
Today I just put on make-up and I feel pretty.
As a girl who used to scorn make-up and all (I imagined) it stood for, I realize now that I was wrong. It isn't to used to make women beautiful or pretty. It is used to make them feel pretty. When you think you are pretty, you smile more and that makes the people around you happier.

TLDR: I was wrong about makeup and feel better about myself since starting to wear it.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 15 Jul 2015, 13:29

I know exactly what you mean! Because of my eczema I can't always wear make-up, but when I can and I do wear make-up I always feel better. And I don't think it's just wearing the make up that makes me feel better, but it's the process of putting it on, because I'm making an effort and taking care of myself, and that feels good. :)
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Jul 2015, 14:04

Hekla wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:This teach yourself Spanish book I bought last week is kinda helpful.
What was saddening me was I would have questions and I couldn't ask my friend for answers because I didn't want to pester him.
But the book explained the "v" and "b" thing. Also the áccénts.

A little light.

Knowing welsh helps with the pronunciation a lot. Terrible at R rolling. I think that just my dyspraxia.

Welcome to the 'knowing a little Welsh helping with languages stuff' club!

I would caution that teaching yourself a language is rather difficult, and having somebody else learning with you is a great aid. I've dabbled in learning Icelandic in the past, but have pretty much decided that I either need to go and live in Iceland, or at least try and learn with somebody else, which is difficult for me to work out. I imagine that if you do end up moving to Spain, it will be much easier to pick up the language.

But I'm glad the book is helping with some of the basic pronunciation questions you had.

I know. I am not the best at learning languages. I only learnt welsh by drowning in it as I grew up. Struggled with German and French at school. Spanish is going slow.
I can't afford to go on a course, and I think the course would go too fast for me.
I can't afford a tutor.

My Spanish friend was an awesome tutor. Shame it only lasted for 30 minutes, and he's really busy in another country (Spain).

I do need to be around Spanish being spoke to learn. I just don't have the opportunity to right now, and can't realistic look for the opportunities right now.
e.g. Too much hassle to move to Spain/stay in Spain to work. But if an amazing opportunity appeared that was perfect, then the hassle would be more worth it.

I am struggling with working out my future right now. But that book being helpful is very encouraging. I really needed it.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 17 Jul 2015, 02:40

I saw to old friends today. Although I knew both were in town seeing them today was somewhat unexpected.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 21 Jul 2015, 18:43

We paid off our wedding rings today. They are currently sitting in our safe in the box my engagement ring came in. They're so sweet they're sickening. This made even better by learning that my Dad is going to gift us some money to help pay for our wedding. Without it we were looking at postponing it for a few more years. Now I am happy.

No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 21 Jul 2015, 19:29

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:
Hekla wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:This teach yourself Spanish book I bought last week is kinda helpful.
What was saddening me was I would have questions and I couldn't ask my friend for answers because I didn't want to pester him.
But the book explained the "v" and "b" thing. Also the áccénts.

A little light.

Knowing welsh helps with the pronunciation a lot. Terrible at R rolling. I think that just my dyspraxia.

Welcome to the 'knowing a little Welsh helping with languages stuff' club!

I would caution that teaching yourself a language is rather difficult, and having somebody else learning with you is a great aid. I've dabbled in learning Icelandic in the past, but have pretty much decided that I either need to go and live in Iceland, or at least try and learn with somebody else, which is difficult for me to work out. I imagine that if you do end up moving to Spain, it will be much easier to pick up the language.

But I'm glad the book is helping with some of the basic pronunciation questions you had.

I know. I am not the best at learning languages. I only learnt welsh by drowning in it as I grew up. Struggled with German and French at school. Spanish is going slow.
I can't afford to go on a course, and I think the course would go too fast for me.
I can't afford a tutor.

My Spanish friend was an awesome tutor. Shame it only lasted for 30 minutes, and he's really busy in another country (Spain).

I do need to be around Spanish being spoke to learn. I just don't have the opportunity to right now, and can't realistic look for the opportunities right now.
e.g. Too much hassle to move to Spain/stay in Spain to work. But if an amazing opportunity appeared that was perfect, then the hassle would be more worth it.

I am struggling with working out my future right now. But that book being helpful is very encouraging. I really needed it.

You should try watching spanish films or shows. There are a few argentinian movies that are good. And a few spanish and mexican films that are also quite good. I'm positive there must be some people around you that are fluent in spanish. Ask them to speak to you in spanish (even if you don't understand at first you'll get the hang of it pretty fast)
I remember when I first started learning french, our teacher would teach us while speaking in perfect french and I was so confused I cried a bit. But I learnt the language so fast compared to English. While I do have a better grasp of English, I learnt French faster. Make of that what you will.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jul 2015, 10:25

I feel I did a public service today. I let a telemarketer go through his entire 11-minute spiel, making the appropriate noises when I needed to... then said "Nope" at the end and hung up. 11 minutes wasted with me is 11 minutes saved for someone else... Possibly multiple someone elses.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Twinklefeet
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby Twinklefeet » 23 Jul 2015, 00:10

After several months of being stuck in limbo I start a new job on Monday. It seems like something I'm much more interested in than what I was doing before and has some really good potential. I haven't felt this optimistic for a long time.

Perhaps I should have asked what the actual job title was, though...
Kirkygirl
First Video: Son Of A Bitch

Postby Kirkygirl » 23 Jul 2015, 16:29

I got to go see RUSH in Vancouver last Friday. That was an absolute blast. Very long story on how we got there though and how we managed to get there 10-15 minutes before the show started.
Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 26 Jul 2015, 17:51

I have my little brother over for his first sleepover to celebrate my son's birthday. Tomorrow morning I'm taking them to the aquarium. In the afternoon I get to make dinner for my family, along with my Dad, step-mom, and my Uncle (whom I haven't seen in 5 years). Then finish it all off with ice cream cake and presents for my older son. I hope it's a good birthday for him.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Jul 2015, 03:57

I dissected song lyrics in an email for a song me and my friend mutually like.

It was great. I came up with some interesting themes.

Shame that this is kinda a hobby and no one will see my dissection except for him.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 27 Jul 2015, 05:26

Song Meanings

Again, it'll still be in the 'hobby' category of activities, but your insight will be shared with more than just one person...
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Jul 2015, 07:54

empath wrote:Song Meanings

Again, it'll still be in the 'hobby' category of activities, but your insight will be shared with more than just one person...

How likely am I going to be flamed by people who disagree?

I picked up some possible (unintentional) Christian themes in this song... but the album is all about Science. I think that would make some people's heads explode due to the concept that Science and Religion could never become one.

Thanks. I've posted some muses.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 28 Jul 2015, 17:15

My appointment has been confirmed and I have signed my contract. I guess I am off to Liverpool in a month.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jul 2015, 04:11

Received an order of 6 cards from a person.

The same person is also interested in buy the original off me too.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Jul 2015, 04:37

Well done.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 29 Jul 2015, 05:05

I was able to successfully adult! Back in March we bought a new mattress - the old had been 'broken in' too much by this point - and naturally no one will TOUCH the old one due to 'hygiene concerns' (bedbugs, which are actually non-present on this isolated island, apart from a case showing up in this hotel or that every few years) so we can't even give the thing away.

So I checked things out, and called the city and scheduled an appointment for a special garbage pick-up (things they won't take normally, like furniture/appliances/tree branches from pruning/etc), and last night, with the wife holding doors open and bracing the other end, I got the surprisingly light (but large) queen-sized mattress out the door and over to the driveway for pickup today.

:)
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 29 Jul 2015, 18:35

I am so happy with my new avatar. And if you know what it's from, ten points to you.

Permalink below.

a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 29 Jul 2015, 23:26

Former classmate of my boyfriend moved in to the building down the street from us and decided to get kittens. We went to visit last night and I got to spend almost two hours with two adorable kittens within arms reach. Needless to say I've volunteered to be a cat sitter.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jul 2015, 02:39

Clarkson, May and Hammond have been signed by Amazon.

"I'm very excited to announce that Hammond, May and I have signed a deal with @AmazonVideo

@AmazonVideoUK now saying I can't be their chief drone pilot. Apparently they want us to make a car show." ~ Clarkson
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 30 Jul 2015, 12:43

In 20 minutes I unplug my computer, pack it into the one large box I have, then pack the rest of my shit in around it, and immediately walk out the door forever. And if anything happens living here, I move to Darwin, and if something happens there, figure it out later. Time to get the hell away from this toxic family for good.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jul 2015, 12:54

Good luck Lone_Bard.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Jul 2015, 02:31

My thoughts will be with you Lone Bard.

Return to “General Discussion”