Standard Discussion

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby LokiTheLiar » 08 Jul 2015, 04:47

GOBLINS HYYYPEEE! If control gets significantly worse in standard I may come back to my goblin roots.
Have you tested playing with any number of the Obelisks of Urd in the mainboard? Is the 2-drop slot too crowded for adding Mardu Scouts?
You may want to find place for Roast in the Sideboard to deal with all those Rhinos and Tasigurs. Maybe a couple Destructive Revelries for the Courser's and Masteries of the Unseen?
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 10 Jul 2015, 20:08

Hi All

I want to reiterate that I know basically nothing about Standard. However after hearing so much about merfolks in Modern and how the spoiled one will make the cut, I was wondering if I could make a standard "Merfolk" deck. It is basically a Blue devotion shell with a splash of green for Collected Company and Kiora + follower. (follower will probably get cut, hard to cast on curve and not very useful in this deck)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard ... k-attempt/

any of you think this could be viable in an FNM or gameday setting?
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 12 Jul 2015, 17:42

I've been running a similar list in Standard after the release of Dragons, and it's pretty competitive.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 13 Jul 2015, 07:20

Frostwalker may indeed be beter than Kiora's follower and/or Jace. It is very aggressive and with a Master of waves on it can kill a rhino
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 13 Jul 2015, 08:45

I wonder if Profaner of the Dead is good anti-Piledriver tech for the Blue Devotion deck. Kills all the goblin tokens and bounces all their creatures even on its own and ignores the pro-blue from Piledriver.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 13 Jul 2015, 13:49

Profaner seems pretty good, but might be a little slow. Against the more token-heavy decks I'd prefer Displacement Wave. But I'd be very interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

I'm pretty excited for the possibilities of Aristocrats.dec coming back - Butcher of the Horde & Blazing Hellhound seem like very strong sac outlets, and there is some beautiful synergies possible with Grim Haruspex & Sultai Emissary, Bloodsoaked Champion & Despoiler of Souls.
Last edited by fantôme on 13 Jul 2015, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 13 Jul 2015, 13:57

I agree with Displacement wave over profaner but I think both could have a spot in the side. They serve very similar but ultimately different roles.
square1

Postby square1 » 13 Jul 2015, 14:33

I agree with the mana cost concern. I mainly like profaner because it is one sided, while wave bounces your own master of waves tokens.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 13 Jul 2015, 15:09

That's exactly why I say that they could both find their way in the sideboard.
If the matchup is SUPER FAST then the wave could be better
If the oponent takes a bit longer to setup, then the profaner expoiting a token or the 1 drop is a small price to pay.

I think I'll test both. I still need to acquire most of the deck hahaha. Collected cies are not cheap
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 13 Jul 2015, 15:57

So, I don't do standard. But I've heard Esper Dergerns is a thing. Can someone tell me why SunScorch Reagent isn't worth any money? I pulled one the other day and got a price check on it, and it's a random 50c rare. Seems to me like any deck running heavy white, and all dragons would enjoy a dragon that just throws counters everywhere all the time, is the meta that quick these days?
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
square1

Postby square1 » 13 Jul 2015, 16:12

I think it's a combination of mana cost and the competition. 5 is a lot and worst case scenario it dies immediately and you've gained one life. Icefall is harder to remove, thunderbreak bolts the opponent, ojutai protects himself, dromoka protects herself on your turn, silumgar is hexproof or steals the opponent's best thing, atarka hits on etb. Sunscorch is great in draft where the removal is weaker, but in constructed it doesn't do enough.

That said, if you're building a deck that can take advantage of counters, then it could have a place there.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 14 Jul 2015, 20:09

Hey it's me again.

I made a thing. I think it could work. it is a 50$ deck that seems like it could get there... for the few months M15 and Origins will be legal together.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard ... the-cheap/

Taughts?
square1

Postby square1 » 15 Jul 2015, 08:32

Scuttling Doom Engine is pretty cheap (I think under $0.50) and with the convoke a 6 mana 6/6 artifact creature might be a good top end for your deck and give you something that can fight the Rhinos. I'm also surprised no Shrapnel Blast. For an aggressive deck it's a good finisher and it's a decent removal spell if you're getting free Thopters.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 15 Jul 2015, 09:15

the_lone_bard wrote:So, I don't do standard. But I've heard Esper Dergerns is a thing. Can someone tell me why SunScorch Reagent isn't worth any money? I pulled one the other day and got a price check on it, and it's a random 50c rare. Seems to me like any deck running heavy white, and all dragons would enjoy a dragon that just throws counters everywhere all the time, is the meta that quick these days?

square1 wrote:I think it's a combination of mana cost and the competition. 5 is a lot and worst case scenario it dies immediately and you've gained one life. Icefall is harder to remove, thunderbreak bolts the opponent, ojutai protects himself, dromoka protects herself on your turn, silumgar is hexproof or steals the opponent's best thing, atarka hits on etb. Sunscorch is great in draft where the removal is weaker, but in constructed it doesn't do enough.

To append to that, Esper Dragons is really more of a control deck with some amount of dragons as the deck's win condition as opposed to an actual tribal dragon deck. (Though it does take advantage of Foul-Tongue Invocation and Silumgar's Scorn in their control package for that reason.) As such, the deck needs its dragons to be durable. OG Silumgar and Dragonlord Ojutai fit this to a T with Hexproof. Dragonlord Silumgar... well, not as much, but it can steal a planeswalker and get some value before they kill him. Sunscorch Regent, however, is just a big dude that isn't that resilient and can't help gain any reasonable amount of value. Esper Dragons just doesn't want that.

On a different trail, Origins has me really interested in Standard again. But I don't want to spend too much money on cards that are going to rotate. My solution? White weenie. Cheap to play and seems like it could do awesome things. But I keep bouncing back and forth between if I should run any anthem effects like Spear of Heliod or if Consul's Lieutenant is enough. I like the idea of running Wingmares, though...
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
square1

Postby square1 » 15 Jul 2015, 09:57

My thought with WW and all the renown creatures was to splash blue for Thassa or use Rogue's Passage to make sure you can connect. Thassa is cheaper and the scry is useful but Rogue's Passage keeps you mono-white.

I do like that they have a Savannah Lion for every occasion. Soldier of the Pantheon for gold cards, Woe-Reaper for graveyards, Dragon Hunter for Dragons. Very flexible. I think the deck suffers against Green devotion though since a turn 3 Whisperwood is very problematic and you don't have the burn to wipe the mana elves like RDW.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 15 Jul 2015, 11:56

square1 wrote:My thought with WW and all the renown creatures was to splash blue for Thassa or use Rogue's Passage to make sure you can connect. Thassa is cheaper and the scry is useful but Rogue's Passage keeps you mono-white.

I do like that they have a Savannah Lion for every occasion. Soldier of the Pantheon for gold cards, Woe-Reaper for graveyards, Dragon Hunter for Dragons. Very flexible. I think the deck suffers against Green devotion though since a turn 3 Whisperwood is very problematic and you don't have the burn to wipe the mana elves like RDW.

Don't forget about Kythelion! Great for all sorts of occasions.

Actually white weenie seems like it could be interesting - certainly very difficult for some decks to deal with. Between this and mono red Pebbledasher, I guess standard could be speeding up considerably?
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 15 Jul 2015, 13:04

Thanks for the feedback Square1.

Out if the sideboard I think it could be a plan.
I proxied te deck and shadow tested it and it can usually score a win on turn4 or 5. I noticed that the Convoke is a fringe play when the artifact lord is not in play and the ornithopters are "Drumbait" or doing stone nothing.
I don't know how good a 6 drop would be before sideboard. Ensoul artifact already eats Rhino
I'll test it out and let you know
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 15 Jul 2015, 13:18

lazylantern wrote:Hey it's me again.

I made a thing. I think it could work. it is a 50$ deck that seems like it could get there... for the few months M15 and Origins will be legal together.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard ... the-cheap/

Taughts?

Whirler Rogue? Gets those Ensoul'd Citadels through. Or Hot Soup...

Also I very much like Shrapnel Blast here, with it & Ensoul Artifact: hitting in increments of 5 just seems so beautifully efficient.

Temple of Epiphany coming in tapped might slow you down too much, maybe Mana Confluence instead?

Cool deck, let us know how testing goes.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 15 Jul 2015, 14:54

Thanks for the input too Fantôme

The tapped land did get on my nerves. I was considering cutting them for basics but Mana confluence does sound good... a playset of them is about half as expensive as the rest of the deck thou, so maybe 1 at a time over the next few weeks hahaha.

For the whirler Rogue, I found that 4CMC for a non-artifact card is very hard to achieve. the double blue also really hurts with all the colorless mana that 8/20 lands produce. I am considering reducing the Foundries of the cousul to 1 or 2 as 5 to activate is not really realistic either (considering the land is not an artifact either) to add islands, maybe I could side the Rogue for a matchup that gummed the ground enough that the ramroller can't punch through.

For the Hot Soup, it is a consideration of a prohibitive equip cost. 3 is a lot and I have a lot of 3drop creatures that do more for that amount of mana.

Shrapnel blast... I just didn't even know existed so I facepalm super hard right now. GET IN THERE!!! that will probably make a turn 3 win possible with the right (not even perfect) draw. What is this? MODERN?

Thanks all, keep the discussion up. I'll build it on MTGO *when it releases* and in paper Friday right before FNM hahaha.

Edit due to own stupidity ;)

Additional Edit:
Mana confluence and Springleaf drum generate green and/or red mana... Atarka's command could be considered I guess. It seems like a strong turn 4 play, dome for 3 and buff the team.
Taughts?
and by putting the confluence in the main, and atarka's commands in the side I doubled the price of the deck lol
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 16 Jul 2015, 07:00

Are we talking viable here? >.>

I'm playing around with a pet deck idea with: Dictate of the Twin Gods + Soulfire Grandmaster + Arcbond + burn (let's say Roast).

Edit: (Yes, I realize it's super janky and vulnerable, but it looks fun.)
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 16 Jul 2015, 08:04

I know that Conley Woods was toying around with Dictate + Deflecting Palm earlier this Standard season. It ends up quadrupling the damage coming in because of how replacement effects work (for example, let's say your opponent attacks with a Siege Rhino, and you cast Deflecting Palm. As you're the player being affected, you choose how to apply the replacement effects for the damage. You choose to double the Siege Rhino damage through the Dictate, then prevent it with the Deflecting Palm. Deflecting Palm will then deal eight damage, which gets doubled by the Dictate to deal sixteen.)
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 16 Jul 2015, 10:50

I had considered throwing satyr firedancer into the mix... Assuming they had a creature w/o hexproof and were letting you...

Cast Wild Slash on an opponent; Dictate doubles it, dealing 4 to them. Firedancer triggers, which would deal 4 damage to a creature they control (deals 8 instead). Cast Arcbond on the creature before it resolves, and it would deal 8 damage (now 16) to each other creature and each player... Resulting in a total 20 damage to the opponent.

(This is getting even more into Christmas-land, but it's fun to play with.)
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 18 Jul 2015, 00:29

Pyromancer's Goggles for more doubling fun. Ravaging Blaze has decent synergy with Firedancer. Superb idea for a deck, but two obstacles to overcome: not using up all your burn keeping yourself alive until you get a combo together, and not blowing yourself up along with your opponent when you do combo off.

Speaking of ridiculous, how about an infinite combo: Starfield of Nyx + Dictate of Heliod + 3x Suspension Field + Grim Guardian.

Brewing with fields:

4 Baleful Eidolon
4 Ghostblade Eidolon
4 Grim Guardian
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Banishing Light
4 Dictate of Heliod
4 Starfield of Nyx
4 Suspension Field
3 Plea for Guidance
13 Plains
4 Scoured Barrens
4 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 18 Jul 2015, 08:13

If we're talking about keeping oneself alive, then having lifelink creatures works pretty swell; all you need is one turn with your opponent tapped out.

(Soulfire Grandmaster is a pretty obvious shoe in, but any lifelink creature would work well.)
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 23 Jul 2015, 16:38

So I plan on doing Game Day just to play a deck that I love the idea of. Sadly I can't play Mono-red Goblins because I doubt people will have the Rabbles and Piles I need for it. So I built this pile of Abzan Dirt. I have no real idea what I'm doing here, I just like Eidonlon, Grim Guardian and Starfield.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-07-15-abzanments/

I'd rather not play Siege Rhino, but after that I'm open to any suggestions

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”