Loading Ready Sealed League

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Re: Loading Ready Sealed League

Postby Sarah » 15 Jul 2015, 16:56

I vote for resetting with a 6-pack Origins pool. I'd be fine with making a rule that you can't use prerelease sealed pools, since it sounds like anyone who did would be at an advantage, but would that be impossible to police?

I think if we don't reset, I'm out - I really don't like my pool much, and these days I don't have a lot of time or energy to spare. But if I open a new pool I like I'll probably keep playing.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 15 Jul 2015, 17:43

Sarah wrote:I vote for resetting with a 6-pack Origins pool. I'd be fine with making a rule that you can't use prerelease sealed pools, since it sounds like anyone who did would be at an advantage, but would that be impossible to police?

I think if we don't reset, I'm out - I really don't like my pool much, and these days I don't have a lot of time or energy to spare. But if I open a new pool I like I'll probably keep playing.

Well, anyone who used a prerelease pool instead would have 7 additional cards. If we're posting pictures, it would be apparent.
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 15 Jul 2015, 18:26

Ah right, I was thinking they'd be able to get around that by taking out 7 of their worst cards before taking a picture of the deck, but of course you have to take a picture during the event or as you open your packs, so that wouldn't work anyway. I can brain.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Jul 2015, 20:42

Wouldn't the 7 extra cards have the MtGO Promo symbol on them, though?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 15 Jul 2015, 21:21

AdmiralMemo wrote:Wouldn't the 7 extra cards have the MtGO Promo symbol on them, though?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only the promo rare has that symbol. It would definitely have alternate art, at the least.
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
RebelliousUno
First Video: don't recall came after unskippable

Postby RebelliousUno » 15 Jul 2015, 22:42

I should point out that for my vote I wouldn't want the pre-release pool to form the pool for a number of reasons
Mostly that not everyone will have the time and opportunity to attend an origins prerelease and also that the 7 card booster even if it has alternate art will be tricky to remove from the pool (mtgo is never on point with dealing with promo cards etc)

A release pool would be better or just the way some people did last time, open up 6 boosters.
zarbit
First Video: CHustle - Resolved

Postby zarbit » 16 Jul 2015, 03:09

A regular release sealed pool would absolutely be easier to get everybody on the same page for, for sure. That makes plenty of sense to me.
Puls3evo
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Puls3evo » 16 Jul 2015, 11:27

I myself would prefer an Origins reset, but I also understand if we would want to wait for BFZ to do so. My question, though, is what form the new block will be pooled for sealed when it officially comes out? Will it be like Theros in that you get 2 boosters of each set, or like Khans where it's 4-2? If it's like Theros I think having a reset now, then a reset in another 2 months makes sense with the formats themselves (esp. if my prediction is correct and BFZ will greatly expand on the tribes set up in Origins).
Puls3evo on almost everything.
Current MTG Decks: EDH Aurelia's Combat Training
Puls3evo
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Puls3evo » 16 Jul 2015, 15:46

Puls3evo 2 / Sarah 1

Game 1 was a vicious beatdown with Arashin War Beast mauling my face. Game 2 saw me drawing removal and beefing up a Hand of Silumgar with Dragonscale General. In game 3, sadly, Sarah's deck decided that lands were not a thing she needed, and I got another fast start. All in all a wonderful match of wits (except for game 3, because no one enjoys a drought).
Puls3evo on almost everything.
Current MTG Decks: EDH Aurelia's Combat Training
Randus2003
First Video: the couch

Postby Randus2003 » 16 Jul 2015, 16:22

randus2003 2/0 dr_killinger

ggs - that puts us 1-1 in matches....maybe we can brake the tie next season
Randus2003

Postby Randus2003 » 16 Jul 2015, 16:52

I guess it my turn to add my two cents to this discussion:

So to start I for 1 like my current pool, with that said 1 was one of the ppl that got 10+ cards as a result of adding dragons, and even I'm getting board just playing the same bombs every game.

Now in regards to an origins reset:
I like the idea that Dr_killinger and I were talking about after our match of the 4 pack (mini-masters if you will) sealed as a nice palette cleanser then doing a true reset with battle. My only concern is that some ppl cant afford to reset we every block, so if that is going to be the going fwd plan we should lay it out now so that ppl have a chance to plan (finically) for feature seasons.

On a side note doing a rest at ever block going fwd should make it easier for ppl to join - which is always a good thing in my book.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Jul 2015, 23:20

So if we do it that way, we reset every 2 sets? We get a 6-pack of the first set, and then add 2 of the second, before resetting again?

zarbit

Postby zarbit » 17 Jul 2015, 01:01

That sounds like what people are aiming for Memo, 6 large and 2 or 3 small packs each reset.
Mooriarty
First Video: the secret life of toast

Postby Mooriarty » 17 Jul 2015, 06:58

sounds good to me
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Jul 2015, 12:06

Please vote.

http://strawpoll.me/4950689

The options are
Reset now for origins
Add origins and Reset at battle for zendicar and reset with each new block
Add origins and Reset at battle for zendicar and do yearly resets.
Just keep adding packs of the new sets.

We can discuss how many of each set to add after the poll determines the results.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Jul 2015, 13:23

So, what do we do for Battle of Zendikar? ;)

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Jul 2015, 13:32

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
abanytar
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby abanytar » 17 Jul 2015, 17:37

SaloAbraxus 2/0 abanytar (venerable_bede)

OK, I need to tell you all about this. But not about the first match. It is my great regret that my deck did not decide to join the party at all in the first match. That wasn't any good.

So I managed to talk SaloAbraxus into a second game. For fun. Then I mulled to five. So I was pretty ready to just tilt out. But after smashing in during game 2, we went almost to time in game 3.

This game, you guys. It was something else.

Deadly Wanderings got shut down by Citadel Siege. Dromoka got put into timeout. A Wooly Loxodon had an Epic Confrontation with the Archfiend of Depravity and lived to tell the tale. Sagu Mauler just stood around, unable to trample past a 6/7. A megamorphed Segmented Krotiq could not escape the Reach of Shadows. And the wee Misthoof Kirin managed to goat there.

While the official game was terrible, that great conclusion more than made up for it. GGS!
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 17 Jul 2015, 17:40

Lord Hosk 2 / 0 Maddrius

Some great explosive, aggressive play! Great matchup. Thanks again for the games!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Jul 2015, 17:51

I had a rat eat a whole elephant, then die when his stomach burst.

[–]Graham_LRR
Maddrius

Postby Maddrius » 17 Jul 2015, 17:53

^--- This legit happened. I was there.
Maddrius

Postby Maddrius » 17 Jul 2015, 17:55

I voted in the straw-poll, but to add my 2 cents:

I also think resetting with Origins would be good. Mostly to shake up the card pool and freshen things up, but also to give folks a break who opened mediocre or less fun pools originally.

I plan on playing in the pre-release events, but I like what folks are saying about sticking to six packs straight up (either individual, or from a release sealed event). Makes it easier for everyone to get into their packs at the same time.

I like the idea of doing a mini run with Origins, and then doing another reset with Zendikar, but I certainly understand that is a fair amount for folks to commit to who are on a budget.

That would make a four pack run of Origins, then a full six pack reset for Zendikar a little easier to sell, but I worry that 30 card decks just make bombs easier to influence the game for those who open them, and also the "missing" two packs will make it difficult to get some of the archetypes in this set to work.

So, I would say reset now, six packs of origins, and then either another reset with Zendikar, or add packs again and work out some rotation/future reset.

Ideal, pie-in-the-sky world, I think a reset now for origins, then another reset for Zendikar would be most interesting, but I don't want to exclude anyone due to the cost barrier that might create.
Randus2003

Postby Randus2003 » 18 Jul 2015, 11:00

Maddrius wrote:....That would make a four pack run of Origins, then a full six pack reset for Zendikar a little easier to sell, but I worry that 30 card decks just make bombs easier to influence the game for those who open them, and also the "missing" two packs will make it difficult to get some of the archetypes in this set to work.....

I thought just hit me to go with this point: who is to say that Battle wont have some archetypes over lap with origins to the point that they really want to be played together? (1st thing that comes to mind is elves)
zarbit

Postby zarbit » 18 Jul 2015, 16:53

I'm certainly not saying BFZ won't play well with Origins, but you can bet your last dollar it'll play better with the winter set [Stock] than with Origins. That's why I want, more than anything else, to reset on a biannual basis when each new block comes out.
Felix_Farstrike
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby Felix_Farstrike » 19 Jul 2015, 10:34

Randus2003 wrote:has anyone heard anything from LeeBenningfield? I shot him/her a PM a few days ago and still no response....

I also have not heard from LeeBenningfield in response to my PM.

Also, it looks like I will not be able to participate in the next season due to school. I will continue to keep an eye on the league to see if I will be able to join again in the future.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”