I remember the game but not its name

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

I remember the game but not its name

Postby Smeghead » 21 Jan 2015, 02:29

So, how about a thread to help us find games we only remember but don't know the name of?

I remember a game my brother use to play on his Amiga back in the early 90s, where the sun has exploded/died and earth is in ruins and you are in charge of a program for interstellar colonization to save humanity.

i seem to remember the graphics being very greenish and I seem to remember very H.R Gieger-ish design (but then my brother also played dark seed, so maybe I'm mixing the two up in the design department.

So anyone got any leads?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: I remember the game but not its name

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Jan 2015, 05:55

We had a thread for this already, IIRC, but I can no longer find it.

I can't help with figuring this one out, either. Sorry.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

mangledpixel
First Video: Unskippable

Postby mangledpixel » 21 Jan 2015, 08:25

'Millennium 2.2', or it's sequel 'Deuteros', perhaps?
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 21 Jan 2015, 09:59

Ah, there it is; Deuteros.
Thanks!

I remember the game being very freaky with ships having a strange organic like design, and that everything was in very dark and grey/green colors.

Bugger, tried to find an LP of the game, but seems like the only one where the player talks is in german...
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 23 Jan 2015, 07:11

By the way, just because my question got answered it doesn't mean that this thread needs to die if you yourself have similar questions; ask away!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 Jan 2015, 04:35

I made a thread on this topic a few months ago for Crystal Rainforest (still can't get the original just the 2.0 version). Threw me for a loop when I saw the author and thinking, "my name isn't smeghead".
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 25 Jan 2015, 14:12

Just your nickname!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 Jan 2015, 16:13

I do get equated to Arnold Rimmer quite a bit.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
GorgonsMind
First Video: Some Checkpoint video or other

Postby GorgonsMind » 25 Jan 2015, 17:50

There's a game I've wanted to remember the name of for quite a while. It was on a PC gamer demo disc in mid to late 90s. It was a 3D action game with a hint of strategy. You fly a helicopter-ish aircraft with various weapons, and can have your mobile factory base build vehicles to assist you, which drive single file along a predetermined road. Your vehicles were clearly scavenged cars and such, while the corp vehicles were high-tech looking. The light tanks could shoot at aircraft, the heavy tanks could only shoot ground targets but could crush light tanks, monster truck style. Periodically you had to intercept a missile launched from their base towards yours.

The introduction had this line about how the machines had conquered mankind, but it didn't mean literal machines, rather corporations had taken over government, and the first thing they did was legalize slavery. You were able to steal your nifty helicopter thing because you were an experimental aircraft test slave. You had to fight your way through territories controlled by the different corporations that had carved up the continental US.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 Jan 2015, 17:57

There was a strategy game I had on a PC demo disc too once. It was like Command and Conquer and you commanded some mech units among others. The only identifying part to it: you could set DEFCON levels, no idea what it did but a voice would say what DEFCON you put it as.
Delanofilms
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Delanofilms » 20 Mar 2015, 18:55

I remember playing some bipedal mech sim thing on a school computer around 2003. Any takers?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Mar 2015, 06:53

Did it seem like a new game at the time? Often games on school compy's are...mature.

Could be anything from MechWarrior 2, to Shattered Steel (Bioware's first release) to 7th Legion...

another option is G-nome from 1997 (had difficulty remembering the name myself ;), and it's made by 7th Level, so confusion between this and the rts+mechs '7th Legion' didn't help :D )
Galren
First Video: Expectations

Postby Galren » 18 Jul 2015, 06:12

Phrom my childhood I remember this 3d stereotypical phantasy game that I remember Having me really hooked. But after the phirst session the cd broke. I think this would be around 2008. The graphics were pretty good phor the time and had a very memorable sound track. Doubt this will work.
Deimir
First Video: Escapist News Network: A Few Good Gamers

Postby Deimir » 18 Jul 2015, 07:16

Elomin Sha wrote:There was a strategy game I had on a PC demo disc too once. It was like Command and Conquer and you commanded some mech units among others. The only identifying part to it: you could set DEFCON levels, no idea what it did but a voice would say what DEFCON you put it as.

Assuming it's this game, I played it too but on a PS1 demo disc.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 19 Jul 2015, 15:03

It looks similar, I know games change from demos but my memory says the game was 2D sprite based, it was a male voice and the UI was on the bottom screen.
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 20 Aug 2015, 13:21

Only mid 90s mech RTS I can recall is Total Annihilation. Clones in mechs vs Digitized humans in mechs.
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
Galren
First Video: Expectations

Postby Galren » 29 Aug 2015, 01:04

For a better description of the game, with no typo's, I've made a post on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoystic ... erson_rpg/
Trippzen

Postby Trippzen » 29 Jan 2016, 18:02

So, there was a discussion in the LRR chat about what horrors the new Fire Emblem hath brought, and in the meantime I ended up thinking of an old JPRG that I can't remember the name of. It was a fairly iconic or memorable game, I just can't think of the name of it unfortunately.

In this game you started out essentially at the end of what would have been the previous game, you were all leveled up and you had to fight the last boss, the big bad as it were. You fight him, you beat him, and I don't remember exactly what happens then. The next part that I remember is finding out that that was the prologue and you end up playing the descendants (by blood or otherwise) of those characters. You start out at level 1 or whatever and it proceeds like a relatively standard JRPG from that point onwards.

For some reason I just can't think of the JRPG (I'm sure there's several) wherein you start as the ancestors of the protagonists.

I'm wracking my brain with the classics that I've played...

I don't think it's Lunar or Golden Sun, I don't think it's Phantasy Star, I know it's not any of the Final Fantasy games. I want to say it was an original Playstation game. I'll continue to think about it and either realize which game I'm thinking of or, hopefully, more details about it because I'm also quite certain that there's more than 1 JRPG that fits this description.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 29 Jan 2016, 21:44

Trippzen wrote:So, there was a discussion in the LRR chat about what horrors the new Fire Emblem hath brought, and in the meantime I ended up thinking of an old JPRG that I can't remember the name of. It was a fairly iconic or memorable game, I just can't think of the name of it unfortunately.

In this game you started out essentially at the end of what would have been the previous game, you were all leveled up and you had to fight the last boss, the big bad as it were. You fight him, you beat him, and I don't remember exactly what happens then. The next part that I remember is finding out that that was the prologue and you end up playing the descendants (by blood or otherwise) of those characters. You start out at level 1 or whatever and it proceeds like a relatively standard JRPG from that point onwards.

For some reason I just can't think of the JRPG (I'm sure there's several) wherein you start as the ancestors of the protagonists.

I'm wracking my brain with the classics that I've played...

I don't think it's Lunar or Golden Sun, I don't think it's Phantasy Star, I know it's not any of the Final Fantasy games. I want to say it was an original Playstation game. I'll continue to think about it and either realize which game I'm thinking of or, hopefully, more details about it because I'm also quite certain that there's more than 1 JRPG that fits this description.

That sounds like the beginning of Lufia, for the SNES. FWIW, it isn't that good, but Lufia 2 is a really good jrpg, and doesn't expect you to have played the first.
Trippzen

Postby Trippzen » 30 Jan 2016, 08:09

unpronounceable wrote:
That sounds like the beginning of Lufia, for the SNES. FWIW, it isn't that good, but Lufia 2 is a really good jrpg, and doesn't expect you to have played the first.

Bingo! Lufia & the Fortress of Doom was the one. Thank you. I played the first two but I'm not sure I played any after that when they went to Gameboy.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 30 Jan 2016, 12:44

Trippzen wrote:Bingo! Lufia & the Fortress of Doom was the one. Thank you. I played the first two but I'm not sure I played any after that when they went to Gameboy.

The Game Boy one is pretty good. Every dungeon is fully randomized, a feature that starts to wear out its welcome pretty fast, but it has a really interesting combat system where you fight with 9 characters and how you position them in a 3x3 grid determines how effectively they support each other. It also greatly expands on the concept of the Ancient Cave, with bonus points for being a portable version of it.

The GBA game is pretty crap though. I wouldn't recommend it.

Now, as for my topic-related question...
I know this is a long shot, but forever ago I had one of those CD-ROMs full of game demos. There was this one strategy game where you fought for control over land with several other kingdoms. (One of the involved forces was the Pope, and trying to attack his land pretty much instantly destroyed you with his far superior army.) You would farm for resources to expand your army, and it even had a really cool castle-building system where you could design your own castles to protect your territories. Whenever an enemy force would attack the game would cut to the army besieging the castle in real time. You would also build your army with various types of soldiers that had different strengths and weaknesses during battles.

Return to “Video Games”