TTC 95 - Mailbag

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC 95 - Mailbag

Postby Graham » 19 Jul 2015, 15:02

This week James, Graham and Kathleen answer your Twitter questions. Follow @LRRMtG if you wish to ask questions in future episodes.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Re: TTC 95 - Mailbag

Postby korvys » 19 Jul 2015, 17:35

It's time for korvys's pedantic judge corner!

If you draw an extra card intentionally, that wasn't/isn't a game loss. That was/is a DQ for cheating. Possibly a ban. All penalties assume it was an honest mistake.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
MadWaltz
First Video: Bed Buggery (I think)

Postby MadWaltz » 19 Jul 2015, 20:28

Odyssey was actually perfectly normal, color-wise; it was only Torment and Judgment that were odd. Torment had more black cards and less white/green ones, while Judgment was the reverse. Red/blue were at ordinary levels for all 3 sets in the block. As you might expect, Odyssey block was a weird one to draft.

And yeah, they used to print way more crappy, color-hosing cards. The black-theme may have been a part of it here (it's also worth noting that Odyssey block came after Invasion Block, which had a color matters theme), but take any old set and you'll see a lot more cards like Krosan Constrictor than you see these days. It was very gradual -- landwalk and protection cards just got printed less and less as time went on. They also gradually phased out the whole black removal only hitting nonblack creatures thing. Wild Mongrel's ability to change colors was weird but moderately relevant back in the day (mainly to dodge black removal); today it seems weird and out of place. Alter Reality was also a card that existed because of all the hoser cards around that time.
Imat
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby Imat » 20 Jul 2015, 07:56

Just a quick correction: The Power in the Powered Cube I brought was not proxy, but Collector's Edition. The only non-Wizards-printed card in there was the Ravages of War, and I have since corrected that.
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 20 Jul 2015, 16:21

There's a guy who comes to my LGS who has a Phage commander deck, the trick is to run Torpor Orb and Platinum Angel and some tutor spells to find Torpor Orb/Platinum Angel (which is not hard, as you are playing mono-black) - Phage can't make you lose the game when creatures entering the battlefield don't cause abilities to trigger or you just can't lose period. You're still kind of hosed if those ever go away of course (Phage is largely incidental in that deck for just that reason).
QQQQQQ
First Video: Friday Nights: Apotheosis

Postby QQQQQQ » 20 Jul 2015, 19:40

Another pedantic rules stickler comment: You put a copy of the epic spell onto the stack each turn, but it is not cast. The distinction (and other such distinctions such as whether you are casting an exiled card without paying its cost OR A COPY of an exiled card without paying its cost) are usually not relevant, but become so when they interact with other cards that care about whether spells were cast/how they got onto the stack.
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 22 Jul 2015, 00:57

The new rules enforcement policy is really more like Perish the Thought than Thoughtsieze.

I wanna see a return of creature-type-cycling.

Most one-sided game I've played? I was playing zombies, my opponent was playing elves. My first turn went Dark Ritual -> Dark Ritual -> Noxious Ghoul.

Gildan_Bladeborn wrote:There's a guy who comes to my LGS who has a Phage commander deck, the trick is to run Torpor Orb and Platinum Angel and some tutor spells to find Torpor Orb/Platinum Angel (which is not hard, as you are playing mono-black) - Phage can't make you lose the game when creatures entering the battlefield don't cause abilities to trigger or you just can't lose period. You're still kind of hosed if those ever go away of course (Phage is largely incidental in that deck for just that reason).

I, too know someone who has (had?) a Phage EDH deck. Sundial of the Infinite is another way to get Phage out. Also, stuff like Chalice of the Void, Nether Void, Thrull Wizard, or Withering Boon can get Phage into your graveyard so that you can use other cards to recur her back to your hand, and cast her legitimately.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
crovax873
First Video: Some early unskippable stuff.

Postby crovax873 » 22 Jul 2015, 17:14

My go to budget commander is Talrand, Sky Summoner. The deck is pretty simple, it turns all of those junky blue spells into pretty decent blue spells.
ZZ9PluralZAlpha
First Video: 1st Commodore Hustle about magic?

Postby ZZ9PluralZAlpha » 22 Jul 2015, 22:50

On the subject of favourite basic land art, I'd point people's attention to the lands from Kamigawa block, and particularly the mountains. Building up one large, pretty epic mountain landscape with the four different arts was sweet. I wish they'd do that again.
NamhciR
First Video: Friday nights - Alex with monored mirror

Postby NamhciR » 23 Jul 2015, 12:57

Korvys, I drew a hand of 8 once and didn't notice it until I drew for turn (on draw),it went to the head judge of a pretty big event (400ish), I am not sure of his level but I was given a game loss, which ended up being a match loss. I was also warned if I did it again it would be a DQ from the entire event. It really sucked because it kicked me out of top 8 contention.

All in all I thought the episode was good, I would of liked to hear everyone's pre-release stories though! Keep up the good work.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 23 Jul 2015, 22:28

NamhciR wrote:Korvys, I drew a hand of 8 once and didn't notice it until I drew for turn (on draw),it went to the head judge of a pretty big event (400ish), I am not sure of his level but I was given a game loss, which ended up being a match loss. I was also warned if I did it again it would be a DQ from the entire event. It really sucked because it kicked me out of top 8 contention.

All in all I thought the episode was good, I would of liked to hear everyone's pre-release stories though! Keep up the good work.

Before about 2010, this might have been correct. There used to be an upgrade path like Caution->Warning->Game Loss->Match Loss->DQ.

These days that should not happen. You should get a game loss for Drawing Extra Cards (if you'd noticed before you started, it'd be a warning). Can't see why you'd get a match loss, and you should only get a DQ if they felt like you were cheating.

That's by the book though, and no one, not even a judge, is perfect.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
reptile

Postby reptile » 26 Jul 2015, 15:37

If James is split-screened, can we just say he's triple-queueing?

Back In The Day, I tried to make a deck centered around Bazaar of Wonders. It never really clicked together.

Also, mechanic that I could see return: flanking.

Return to “TapTapConcede”