Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby betsytheripper » 22 Jul 2015, 22:25

I don't know where else to put this.

There's a fire raging 20 miles due west of my city. In 6 hours, it went from not existing to 4000 acres (16 square km) burned. It turned the sky yellow and has rained ash over the whole county. 20 miles seems like a lot, and right now I'm safe, but it's only 5% contained. If they can't contain it overnight, I'll be making an evac kit tomorrow.

I'm terrified. It's supposed to get windier and hotter and dryer tomorrow, and even windier, hotter, and dryer the day after, and so on through the weekend. If they can't contain this, the current evac location (directly halfway between me and the fire) will be threatened and likely evac'd.

My car is broken right now so I don't know how I'll evac, but I'm trying to be calm about planning. I can call my mom, she can come down and get me and the cats. There will likely be evac teams locally, most students (half of the city's population) don't have cars.

I'm trying to be calm, but terror and panic is welling up inside me. I'm going to try to get some sleep now, though. We'll be safe until the morning, at the very least.
-betsy
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 22 Jul 2015, 23:09

Advice from 'STRAYA, we deal with these things kinda often.

Don't worry about it until you're told to. Figure out your plan to get out and be happy at that, that's all you really need. There are a bunch of well trained experts fighting that thing right now, they aren't gonna forget to tell people to leave before it's too late. As long as you have a plan, and pay attention if you do get told to get out, you'll be fine. Problems only come when people go "Nahhh, it's ages away, I'll be fi-OSHITMYHOUSEISONFIRE!"

Also, what's the area you're in like? Are you in nature, or are you in a city. One of these things burns much, much quicker than the other. Again, experts are dealing with it, they know these things and I guarantee they've done all the math on times it'll take to spread, to evac, congestion and panic factor. You'll be fine.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 23 Jul 2015, 06:03

Making sure you're prepared is the best thing you can do. One thing I'll add: alert levels can seem to change frequently. There were a couple of fires near me a couple of years ago that bounced between Watch and Act (2nd level) and Emergency Warning (3rd level) over the days it took to contain it.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 23 Jul 2015, 08:34

It's still at 5% containment and now 6000 acres burned, as of about 90 minutes ago.

I myself am towards the edges of a city, but we're surrounded by farm and grazing land. I'm in Northern California, in which they've been actively running ads about not watering grassy areas because of the historic drought. Everything is bone dry, and we're getting strong winds from the delta pushing the fire inland.

I'm going to be making preparations in case of evac today. Important documents, clothes, cat food, etc. I know it's not very likely to make it all the way here, but I'd rather be prepared.

Although I am pretty miffed that the reports from SF don't seem to care that most of the fire is in Solano and Yolo counties, not Napa county, and people on the hashtag are saying stuff like "the wine :(" and "I liked that campground" and just ugh. People.

Edit: 24 hours after the fire started, up to 6900 acres and 15% containment.
-betsy
Kirkygirl
First Video: Son Of A Bitch

Postby Kirkygirl » 23 Jul 2015, 16:19

Betsy, I'm so sorry.
Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Kirkygirl
First Video: Son Of A Bitch

Postby Kirkygirl » 23 Jul 2015, 16:27

I'm frustrated as hell. I'm now a legitimate massage therapist, and now no one wants to book with me. I'm running short on patience and cash, and I want to move within the next six months. I'm saving as much as I can, and I don't know what to do. I'm trying to promote myself in any way that I can, and nothing. I even changed my job schedule so I could do massages more and work six days a week with the two jobs and not get burned out. So, I'm far from being burnt out, but I'm bored. I'm really only working four days a week. There are only so many academic articles I can read, and only so much cleaning to do at home and at the clinic.
My depression has reared its ugly head again too. I don't really want to clean anything living at home, and it just winds up being a self-fulfilling prophesy.
I hate my brain some days.
Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 23 Jul 2015, 17:00

Trying to download the latest Co-Optional podcast. 2.5 hours, and failure. 2 hours in, and failure. 2 hours in and failure. 4 hours in, and failure.

FUCK. THIS. INTERNET.

And now whenever I try playing Te Witcher, or anything full screen, the internet just stops. Straight up, no more working, tab out of it and need to unplug and re-plug the usb for it to detect any connections again.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Jul 2015, 03:54

I keep having to tweak my CV. I notice a minor typo. Minor format issue. Need to improve quality of information.

AND THIS IS AFTER I SENT IT IN WITH AN APPLICATION WITH A JOB I WANT.

Will me forgetting to say if I passed or not on a ICT course affect my employability for a cafe/shop assistant/cook at a bakery?
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 24 Jul 2015, 19:57

Who keeps trying to give me an ice-pick lobotomy, cut that shit out. It fucking hurts.

betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 25 Jul 2015, 22:08

The fire is now 55% contained and hasn't grown in over a day, so hooray for that.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my car fixed.

Also actual vent: You know how people say or do things, and your only response is a deadpan "well, hooray for you"? I've been feeling like that a lot lately. People just saying the most inane things and it's driving me up the wall.
-betsy
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 26 Jul 2015, 08:11

Especially galling given the previous post right above...some places are getting so hot and dry, shit be burstin' inta flames, yo...and here, it's the 'height of summer' and I gotta bring in the landlord's potted plants at night...
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 26 Jul 2015, 15:52

Speaking of extremes, I think my father is the only person I know who has been prevented from going to work by bushfires and snow and/or ice on the same stretch of road (each at different times of the year).
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Jul 2015, 01:22

I do a lot of work uploading my artwork online to my website, deviant art and sites like Zippi or Cafe Press.

But I get nothing in return, apart from "I really like your work".
I wish "I really like your work" would pay me bills.

I'm just frustrated and I put in a lot of effort in hope something will come of it, and it never does.

I see other artists online being "successful" and it makes me unhappy.

Working online would be ideal for me. At the moment I have to work on in real life for an income, and that's very slow.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 29 Jul 2015, 02:43

Fucking hell, money cleared today instead of tomorrow, so I brought a bunch of enelgy dranks, and maccas, twice. This morning, it was fine, much better food than the sausages and chicken nuggets I've been living off of for a week now.

Decided nah, not gonna waste $30 ordering a pizza. I'll get maccas for dinner. Order myself 2 mighty muffins, these are two slices of bacon, cheese, sausage, egg, tomato "relish" (Thicker ketchup.)

Get home, 40minutes later go to actually eat them... What I got. A slice of bacon on each, a piece of egg on each, that's it. I literally cannot eat this since that much straight egg is something my stomach can't process anymore, with a bunch of other food it's fine, but not alone. So last bus is gone, I have no access to a phone to tell them they're shit and they can't get an order right (Not that I'd want the replacements, two maccas meals in a day is enough to last me a week.) and... Urgh. That store is so fucking shit. The manager is a friend of a friends, and he has no fucking clue how to run a store. I cannot wait until Friday. Know what I'm gonna do before heading to mates place? Since it's 1 street over, go to the maccas and get a nice meal. Because that store is consistently in the top 5 of Aus. They have their internal ratings system which is based on meeting the 3 minute time limit, accuracy and quality. Consistently top 5. The food there is actually pretty damn good, and they do probably >1000 customers a day as a result. The maccas here? They get more than 10 people at a time and cars start crowding the waiting bay and orders get fucked up left right and center. This better be the last rant I have before moving away from this shithole known as Melton.

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Jul 2015, 04:45

What's a macca?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 29 Jul 2015, 04:46

"Macca's" is Aussie slang for McDonald's.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 29 Jul 2015, 05:01

Also this guy. (Not sure how many Sunday morning ABC listeners there are on the forum, though. :P)

On a more vent-related not, is there a magic number of job applications I need to hit before I snag something? I think I'm easily past the 100 mark. :/
FictionPress stories:
empath

Postby empath » 29 Jul 2015, 05:08

Hate to say it, but...well, I've been applying to a few each week on and off for two or three years now, and I only got ONE interview so far (which I'm confident I did NOT get, by this point - two weeks later).
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 29 Jul 2015, 05:21

Somehow I knew you'd be the first to respond to that. :P

I'm not even a year into the search and already I'm sick of it. More the whole process than the applications themselves; I need to apply for a certain number each month to satisfy Centrelink (Department of Human Services), and I have to attend appointments every now and then with my job services provider. They pretend to look at my application record check I've been applying for stuff and also say they're helping me so they can secure their contract assist me in looking for work.

At least those two useless appointments have been merged recently. :roll:
FictionPress stories:
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 29 Jul 2015, 07:08

Went to a piano tuning for a piece that was to be used in a blues show in three days. The thing is a full note flat. As in, my electronic tuner picks up G3 as a slightly sharp F3.
Imagine you have a spring and you try to really stretch it out. Sure, you stretch it a bit, but it wants to pull back because steel is flexible like that. Piano wire is the same way, I can pull the strings in tune, but when it's that flat they're going to pull back until I've stretched them about three times. No time for that though, this thing has to be show ready in three days, and be good to play alongside other instruments, so I tune it sharp and hope it evens out in the end.
Problem number 2: The piano is stored in the bar area of the facility, and the bar opened for business halfway through the tuning. This means people yelling at each other from across the room, playing stupidly loud slot machines and generally being noisy while I'm trying to do a very delicate, hearing-based process. Normally in this situation I'd go to the owner and tell them to call me back at a time the bar will be quiet because I can't do a good job like this, but again, no time for that.
Long story short, I broke a string because I couldn't quite hear what I was doing. Cue an hour before the show and I'm up to my elbows in this thing still trying to make it playable.

TL;DR version: don't put off piano tuning until right before the show.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 31 Jul 2015, 05:29

FUCKING FUCK OFA FUCK!
I had everything set, aaaaand then shit started breaking, I didn't get to move today I needa wait till Sunday for a lift.

Get home after 14 hours, unpack and resetup my PC... THE FUCKING MONITOR IS CRACKED! It was put in, and sitting in a box! I haven't even moved yet and my monitor's now fucked. Because what I really have right now is a few hundred dollars spare. So, that's 3 days where nothing should have been able to go wrong and a shitload of things went wrong. 1.5 more days to go. What next...

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 31 Jul 2015, 18:13

New monitors cost a couple hundred dollars? I'm sorry this happened, and being out any money sucks, but I don't think monitors cost that much.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath

Postby empath » 31 Jul 2015, 18:20

$200 AUD ~ $146 USD...and then there's the 'remote shipping' malarkey that Australians have to put up with for disproportionately higher prices for things...

Hope things improve for you, our solo troubadour! Image
Phailhammer

Postby Phailhammer » 31 Jul 2015, 19:10

It's only August, and already we have bushfires. Great. It's not a threat to me, but reports are saying it could threaten homes.
FictionPress stories:
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 31 Jul 2015, 21:57

Well, I've had a 32" monitor for the last 5 years... I don't wanna downgrade, I mean I can get like a 24" one for $120 or so, but... Losing 50% of my monitor size? I think a replacement is in the $400 range, and something like 28" is $300.

Return to “General Discussion”