Standard Discussion

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby square1 » 23 Jul 2015, 18:22

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I plan on doing Game Day just to play a deck that I love the idea of. Sadly I can't play Mono-red Goblins because I doubt people will have the Rabbles and Piles I need for it. So I built this pile of Abzan Dirt. I have no real idea what I'm doing here, I just like Eidonlon, Grim Guardian and Starfield.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-07-15-abzanments/

I'd rather not play Siege Rhino, but after that I'm open to any suggestions

Looks fun. I like the enchantment theme. The only thing I'd note is Corpseweft, while good, is not supporting your other cards like Nighthowler and Starfield. Maybe Commune with the Gods to dump stuff into your graveyard and find the creature or enchantment you need?

There's also a lot of good enchantment based removal like Banishing Light, Pacifism, and Suppression Bonds which might be better than delving with Murderous Cut. You don't really have any delve support currently, so Cut might not be great. Banishing Light is also good so you have some way to remove opposing planeswalkers.

Since you have a life drain theme going, maybe Palace Siege could be good? Also, Heliod if you happen to have him generates 2/1 enchantment creatures which can trigger your constellation effects at will. They become 0/0 once Starfield turns your stuff into creatures since their CMC is 0, but the ETB effect still triggers.

Deck looks neat and Doomwake Giant seems strong right now with all the token generators. Glad you've found a deck you like. :-) I haven't figured out what I'm going to play yet myself. I've narrowed it down to Bant, Jeskai, or Temur, which mainly has taught me I have something against Black. ;)

Good luck at Game Day!
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 24 Jul 2015, 05:45

@RadioshackRaider: Don't forget Sigil of the Empty Throne, which was reprinted in Origins and should provide a good payoff for playing lots of enchantments.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 24 Jul 2015, 13:51

Would love suggestions on my current pile, I'm struggling the most against token decks:

4 Faerie Miscreant
4 Frost Lynx
4 Hypnotic Siren
3 Illusory Angel
3 Omenspeaker
4 Ornithopter
4 Helm of the Gods
3 Aqueous Form
4 Ensoul Artifact
4 Mirror Mockery
4 Darksteel Citadel
19 Island

sb.
3 Dakra Mystic
4 Encase in Ice
???

Went 2-2 at fnm tonight, (but in the deciding game of one of my losses I out-of-the-blue got Crater's Claw'd for 21!). Miscreant Mockery was a very powerful draw engine, Lynx Mockery was excellent control, Illusory Angel was only once a dud card - but I feel like I was fairly lucky with it, Helm of the Gods showed up almost every game - was extremely powerful twice but underwhelming the rest of the time, Ensoul-Aqueous-Citadel was bonkers.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 24 Jul 2015, 15:59

What about Displacement Wave for the tokens? You can cast it with X=0 to sweep everything without a mana cost from the board, aside from lands. Or splash black for Virulent Plague, perhaps?
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 25 Jul 2015, 04:02

Unfortunately Displacement Wave hits my Ornithopters, and really can't be cast for more than x=0 in my deck - I'm thinking that, although expensive, AEtherspouts might be the best mass removal available to me.

Mockery and Ensoul are undoubtedly the stars of the deck, so I'm considering splashing white for Heliod's Pilgrim.
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 26 Jul 2015, 09:05

I think we should splinter the discussion with a "brewer's corner" thread
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 30 Jul 2015, 17:58

For those interested My standard affinity deck is killing on the "tournament practice" queue (not enough money to queue up in the real competitive queues)

Here is the latest list (15 tickets give or take):
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard ... the-cheap/
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 30 Jul 2015, 21:43

How are you finding Bonded Construct? I always felt like it could so often so easily become rendered useless.

Food for thought: Ugin's Nexus + Shrapnel Blast for random extra turn.

For the sideboard: Having been playing blue in standard recently, I can say that 4x Encase in Ice in the sideboard has been very important.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 31 Jul 2015, 02:17

Bonded constructs are very good, very aggressive. Whenever they get outclassed, they are very nice Springleaf Drum fodder. They also enable a turn 4 win with Ornithopter + Ensoul Artifact. They can block alone no problem so they usually become Shapnel Blast chum when on the backfoot after declaring blockers.

They will also help a lot in "going wide" against an opponent that has 1 big threat.

on a less spiky note, they are also very important for the "affinity" feel of the deck (vaumit your starting hand on the field turn 1)
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 07 Aug 2015, 06:50

Good luck at Game Day everyone :)
my deck - Click to Expand
Creature (26)
2x Courser of Kruphix
4x Deathmist Raptor
4x Den Protector
1x Dragonlord Dromoka
2x Dragonlord Ojutai
3x Fleecemane Lion
1x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1x Nylea, God of the Hunt
1x Polukranos, World Eater
2x Stratus Dancer
2x Sylvan Caryatid
2x Whisperwood Elemental
1x Yasova Dragonclaw

Land (23)
5x Forest
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
3x Plains
3x Temple of Mystery
3x Temple of Plenty
4x Windswept Heath
4x Yavimaya Coast

Enchantment (3)
3x Evolutionary Leap

Planeswalker (2)
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Instant (6)
2x Disdainful Stroke
2x Dromoka's Command
2x Valorous Stance

Sideboard (15)
4x Cleric of the Forward Order
3x Displacement Wave
2x Dromoka's Command
2x Fate Forgotten
2x Hornet Queen
2x Valorous Stance
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 08 Aug 2015, 19:19

I chose not to go to Game Day for a variety of reasons (the majority of them being traffic based [THANKS RANDOM BRIDGE ON I-65!]), but as a part of not doing that, I finally took TurboFog to FNM last night. It turned out to be probably the most fun I've ever had going 1-3 at a tournament, simply because of how much attention the deck attracted, and the fact that only in one matchup did I feel utterly helpless (damn you Wild Slash!). The best part of the whole evening was round 1 game 2, where I had milled GR Devotion down to around 9 cards, but didn't have a Fog effect for the next turn, so I had to Day's Undoing all of my work and hope to draw into another Fog (I did), and then go right back to milling out my opponent (I did). Makes me really happy that I didn't play the (far more boring) Mono Red Goblins deck I had also brought along, because some times, the shenanigans make it worth it.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 09 Aug 2015, 18:03

For those curious, here's what I ran at Game Day. Went 2-1-1 and came 5th. My last round opponent went 1-2-1 and came 10th. Tight race. First time playing it and I definitely feel the observations the guy who made the list were accurate: It's brutally effective against aggro and suffers mightily against control. Short of rebuilding it as Abzan, I'm not sure there are many solutions.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 12 Aug 2015, 16:04

So many interesting brews at game day, so many interesting brews that just couldn't quite get there against the generic mono-red or sultai control netdecks. But actually it doesn't matter, the most interesting games have always been at the middle tables. I went 2-3 with my Mock-Paper-Scissors deck, it was a lot of fun.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 12 Aug 2015, 16:54

Speaking as that asshole who won game day with a "generic mono-red netdeck", I can't particularly disagree with that sentiment.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 12 Aug 2015, 16:56

I'm not sure how I feel since I ran a net deck as well. Just an odder one.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 19 Aug 2015, 13:19

Second post on LRRForum, go?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-03-15-QfK-dragonlord-dromoka-the-eternal/
Here's my Standard deck as-is, though I'm constantly aiming to improve it. It consistently went 2-2-0 and 3-1-0 at FNM before Magic Origins, so there's that. A pretty basic concept: Green to ramp quickly into Surrak and Sunscorch Regent and/or one of the versions of Dromoka and smash face. With Dragonlord Dromoka, smash face safely on your turn, with White removal and protection in hand.
Last edited by Lycodrake on 19 Aug 2015, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 19 Aug 2015, 13:29

404 error on the deck, make sure that the url is proper before posting. Tapped out tends to not like this kind of stuff.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 19 Aug 2015, 13:37

chetoos wrote:404 error on the deck, make sure that the url is proper before posting. Tapped out tends to not like this kind of stuff.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, chetoos.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 22 Aug 2015, 05:37

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/herald-of-nyxs-throne/
Sup all? Trying to make a standard legal Enchantment deck that survives rotation. What I've found is that if it gets to 5 mana, it kicks ass, but I'd be open to opinions on stuff to change. I'm currently weak to non-creature permanents, probably. I say probably, because I don't utilize those too much, so I can't test against myself.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Postby LokiTheLiar » 23 Aug 2015, 16:15

@cheetos have you considered adding some form of removal like Utter End to your deck? It could come in handy when dealing with noncreature permanents.

On the other note - I just freaking love the current standard meta. With so many cards legal in format before BFZ there are so many possibilities. And control decks finally became good again at my LGS meta. I switched decks recently from Esper Dragons to UR Ensoul and then switched again to UB Thopter Control, which is one of the most fun decks I have ever played. At one point I managed to draw 7 card on one turn with it. It felt awesome.
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 23 Aug 2015, 19:19

I've considered it, but I'm also considering holding off on putting stuff like that into the hypothetical shell of the deck until BFZ comes out, to see if there actually is an O-Ring equivalent in there.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 25 Aug 2015, 04:10

Forgot to mention my usual FNM record with my Dromoka deck. I tend to get wins in half the matches and losses the other half, though my most recent FNM run was rather terrible. :(
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Aug 2015, 00:47

So there's a PPTQ at my LGS tomorrow that I'm hoping on going to and I built a Mono-red Dirt pile to use. I'm only missing a Purphoros in it, which I should be able to borrow/ trade for. I'd be playing more play-sets, but I built this from what I had. I'd also rather play Goblins instead of this, but I don't have Rabbles and Piles.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-08-15-hyF-mono-red/
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 29 Aug 2015, 00:53

I've played against similar rdw decks before, Titan's Strength is maybe something to consider. Running out of gas is a strong possibility and a huge problem - being wise with your Abbots is one of the trickiest things about these decks.

I'm wanting to try something new, I can put together these relatively cheaply -

Dead Elves:
3 Deadbridge Shaman
4 Dwynen's Elite
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Elvish Visionary
2 Shaman of Spring
4 Shaman of the Pack
4 Thornbow Archer
2 Evolutionary Leap
3 Collected Company
2 Macabre Waltz
4 Rescue from the Underworld
7 Forest
4 Jungle Hollow
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Swamp
4 Temple of Malady
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Elysian Fields:
1 Auramancer
4 Baleful Eidolon
3 Ghostblade Eidolon
4 Grim Guardian
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Banishing Light
3 Dictate of Heliod
3 Sigil of the Empty Throne
3 Starfield of Nyx
4 Suspension Field
3 Plea for Guidance
4 Caves of Koilos
9 Plains
4 Scoured Barrens
2 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Reanimator:
4 Abhorrent Overlord
4 Black Cat
4 Erebos's Emissary
3 Erebos's Titan
3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4 Merciless Executioner
4 Shambling Goblin
4 Endless Obedience
3 Macabre Waltz
4 Rescue from the Underworld
1 Liliana Vess
24 Swamp

(sideboards pending)

I'm still pretty new to Standard, what do you guys think? Anything decent, anything interesting?
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 29 Aug 2015, 04:20

I'm more of a limited player, so I've yet to get into standard. I did run across this the other day though, which is making me think about dipping my toe in: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2015-08-25

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”