LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Road-hog123
First Video: DesertBus 8 Livestream

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Road-hog123 » 20 Aug 2015, 13:33

A couple of nights ago there was some discussion about standards for roads on LRRMC. As a result, I have compiled a set of guidelines from what was suggested (which is basically a copy of the roads that were built around Glem Forst). Hopefully this covers everything... :P
(Note that these are guidelines and not requirements. You may apply all, part of none of these to your road building.)

--== STANDARD FOR ROADS ON LRRMC ==--

General Rules for Roads:
- Roads that form part of a build do not have to conform with these guidelines.
- Roads should be 3 or 4 blocks wide.
- Roads may be widened in towns.
- Roads may be narrowed to an absolute minimum width of 2 blocks for horse and pedestrian routes or 1 block for pedestrian-only routes where it is not possible to widen the road.
- Roads should be made out of a gray stone material such as Cobblestone, Andesite, Polished Andesite, Stone, Stone Slabs, or Stone Bricks (inc. Mossy and Cracked).
- Roads should have a vertical clearance of 4 blocks for horse and pedestrian routes or 3 blocks for pedestrian-only routes.
- Roads may have clearance reduced to 3 blocks for horse and pedestrian routes or 2 blocks for pedestrian-only routes where it is not possible to increase the clearance.
- Roads should be lit where possible to prevent mobs spawning.

Roads on Level(ish) Ground:
- Roads should be inlaid such that the top surface is flush with the ground on either side.
- Slopes should not exceed 1 in 2 on horse and pedestrian routes or 1 in 1 on pedestrian-only routes.
- Steps of more than 1/2 a block should be avoided.

Embankments and Bridges:
- Embankments should not block rivers or be excessive in height.
- Embankment angles should not exceed 45 degrees without soil-retention structures (rock faces, walls, etc.).
- Bridges should be constructed of appropriate materials.
- Bridges should include abutments and piers to support the spans.
- Drops should be protected with parapets or fences.
- Where bridges cross water, they should have a minimum of 2 blocks clearance over the water to permit boat travel underneath.

Cuttings and Tunnels:
- Cuttings should not block rivers or be excessive in height.
- Cutting angles should not exceed 45 degrees without soil-retention structures (rock faces, walls, etc.).
- Tunnels can include portals and may also include props.
- Cuttings should be lit to prevent mobs spawning.

Dangers by the Roadside:
- Drops, Deep Water and Lava by the roadside should be protected with fences.
- Smaller dangers should be signposted.

Junctions, Houses, Borders, Etc.:
- Junctions should be signposted to indicate where they lead.
- Houses should be signposted with their owners.
- Borders into claimed land may be signposted to aid with navigation and prevention of unwanted building.
- The builder of the road should also be signposted so that users may report damage, etc.
- Named places may also be signposted (bridges, hills, rivers, etc.).

Example Screenshots:
A bridge (which probably doesn't need the pier, but it looks nice):

A fenced-off body of water, "tunnel" and a one-sided cutting:

A border sign:

Directional Sign and Builder Sign:

If I've made any mistakes, omitted anything, etc. then tell me so that I can fix. :)
Last edited by Road-hog123 on 21 Aug 2015, 06:49, edited 2 times in total.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 20 Aug 2015, 13:52

Seems like the kind of thing where pretty much everyone would insist that their designs are best / should be used.

Relevant: https://xkcd.com/927/

Seriously though, I don't have a super strong opinion on it. The patchwork road network is almost charming it its own way - you can see each player's individual styles / design philosophies. That said, I wouldn't mind if we did evntually decide on an "official" road schematic... provided I don't have to, y'know, actually do anything about it

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Tuckiozi
First Video: Unskippable/CommodoreHustle

Postby Tuckiozi » 20 Aug 2015, 14:08

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Aug 2015, 15:00

All I really care is that gray-ish material is used for the paths.

Also, I really need to figure out how to install those water shaders that Tuck has.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 20 Aug 2015, 15:31

I'm fairly certain my main road project does not meet all of those guidelines (nor does it have an official end, unless someone finished it while I've not been on the server), but my main goal was just to build it, so if I'm needed to do more with that, just let me know. I'll probably hop on the server sometime tonight as well (likely during or after House of Stark).
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 20 Aug 2015, 17:19

I just copied the paths that already existed near the Herbert Hole for any additions I made.
eostby

Postby eostby » 20 Aug 2015, 20:55

OK, I've cleared a few of the overhanging trees and given a few labels along the path I built. Some fences were added, but many, many more are needed, and I'm more than happy to turn that road project over to anyone who's willing to "bring it up to code", as it were. Again, if my help is needed, I can offer it, but I will expect to be asked and not just assumed in.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Road-hog123

Postby Road-hog123 » 21 Aug 2015, 02:17

Ah, looks like I missed adding the line I wrote in my first draft about the fact that you are not required to make your roads to the "standard"... so I've added it back in. :)
Hell, you could make your roads out of floating redstone and I wouldn't care, and certainly some uniqueness is nice; I just thought it would be nice to put down some suggestions to try and make sure it is possible to get around the server on a horse with relative safety and ease; and the realistic roads of Glem Forst and Berkford are very nice.
eostby

Postby eostby » 21 Aug 2015, 09:45

Ah. Well, my roads weren't totally horse accessible before due to tree overhang, so fixing that was the biggest thing I did, as well as the labeling. While portions probably could use some fencing just so people on the south road (it could really use a more official-sounding name than that) don't suddenly drop 50 feet of the side, I wasn't planning on adding all the pieces to make it not look like a floating bridge, because I kinda like it better that way. Feel free to check it out when you've got time (it starts near my house, at the Lusian Trail/Spawntown corner, and ends at Church's place on one part and stops near Vithal's on the other).

squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 22 Aug 2015, 15:36

Heads up, I'll be on nearly all day Sunday (tomorrow) so if you need a post box or want to claim a lot in Spawntown to build a structure just flag me down.
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 22 Aug 2015, 22:19

Can someone help me out on finding the server? I want to play but none of the addresses are working. Im going to assume that either the server is down or your playing with mods? Thank you.
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 22 Aug 2015, 22:58

I've made a maze at -960, 616. If you go south on the path from the Lusian trail you'd find a roadway there. It's not that hard (especially now I've made the path two squares wide!), but if you want to go for it, there's a book to put your name in if you can get to the end.
Road-hog123

Postby Road-hog123 » 23 Aug 2015, 00:13

Tacos_yay, the server ip is lrrmc.rebellious.uno. It is up at the time of posting.
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 27 Aug 2015, 14:47

A trio of chunks to the southwest of spawn seems to have glitched out, becoming copies of chunks of underground market. Unfortunately, they intersect someone's build there.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 27 Aug 2015, 15:01

yeah SquareDotCube has kown about that for a while.

Anyway, updates on projects (since that seems to be the cool thing to do):

Cameronville: Exterior I think is done, interior is nearing completion. Rail line was hooked up, but needs work for it to function.

Andrew Shepherd Bridge: Sky_rider19 needs help with work on the bridge, send him a message if you're willing to help.

Petter Station (The other side of the bridge): Just started, only a dock/nether portal and a Dave's Horse Rental have been built. If you have ideas, feel free to build.

Nether HUB: There's now a rail to the Blaze Farm, and MyshPoetry's House was moved.
squaredotcube

Postby squaredotcube » 27 Aug 2015, 16:38

For those wondering what the red wool path and outline is for, that's the exclusion zone for outgoing buses for those who want to build in the newly-made lots.
Sibanamush
First Video: No Idea.

Postby Sibanamush » 28 Aug 2015, 14:40

Just thought I'd pop my head in and see if the LRRCraft server was back up yet! seems its not , but there's a new server? Is the old server world available anywhere or is Memo still working on bringing it back eventually does anyone know?
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 28 Aug 2015, 15:31

Sibanamush wrote:Just thought I'd pop my head in and see if the LRRCraft server was back up yet! seems its not , but there's a new server? Is the old server world available anywhere or is Memo still working on bringing it back eventually does anyone know?

Memo is still working on going through the chunks to update the server to 1.8. I think he said he only had one direction left. No clue when it'll be back.
ritchards

Postby ritchards » 28 Aug 2015, 20:55

Just to say if you head to my maze(*), you can also experience the Long Fall! (From 256 to Bedrock!)

(*) Dammit, I thought I stopped it from appearing on the minimap...
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Aug 2015, 13:04

Yeah, I need to find some more time to work on it again. I usually end up working on it when the podcasts come out.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 30 Aug 2015, 18:07

theres a new guy on and hes asking for perms. His name is BookDevourer96. I told him he might have to wait.
bookdevourer96
First Video: Untap

Postby bookdevourer96 » 30 Aug 2015, 18:25

Tacos_yay wrote:theres a new guy on and hes asking for perms. His name is BookDevourer96. I told him he might have to wait.

Hello! Thought I might pop in and introduce my self. I will periodically check the livemap for admins, but I guess if one of the administrators can also pm me or something if they go on, that would be awesome.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 01 Sep 2015, 04:21

It's not finished (I haven't put in nice walls yet), but I built a Wither killing thingy based on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx4I2zz_6do

Anyway, nether HUB Update:

Moved up by portal's owner:
-Eastern Drop Mountians
-Crafing Bench Island
-Boscoham
-AdmiralMemo's Place/Paul Sandbar
-Road_Hog123
-MagisterMystax's Land of Issit
-Clench
-the Squirrel Demense
-Twister Pearl's Nether Region
-Shallowslake
-NF's Salvok Home
-House of Chrusher
-Thimbletrimmer
-Random Swamp
-Glem Forst
-Herbet's Mesa Castle
-New Dewford
-ThinkTooMuch's Estate
-Marcanius's Desert
-ArthurArthur's Butterfly Island
-Temple of St. Bradley
-MyshPoetry's House

Current Portal Connected to new HUB:
-Dockbutt
-Zanpak's Clay Farm
-Bontoon Bluffs
-Corinanin's Prismarine Farm
-ChroniclerC's Home

Moved up by virtue of owner's inactivity:
-James Turner's House
-Scrizati's Farm
-Ender Labs
-Taos's Underwater Waterland
-Corianin's Base
-Deimir's Base
-Big Tree

Portals to Public Works Projects that have been moved up:
-Desert
-SW Village
-Stronghold

Moved up to fix incorrect connections:
-Herbert Hole
-FlyingDutchman Cottage
-Psychogiests's Home
-Church's Fortress (though he may know about this one)
-Fort Dredge(Droddy)
-Mt LRRMore
-Rosevale
-Taos's Mudhut
-AlexAshman's Castle
-Home for Needy Thanatoses
-Leap of Faith Shrine
-Unnamed Portal with no build identification
-Drakmon's House
-Ruke's Tiny Hut

Not moved, but Owner knows of new HUB:

-CptnFalafel's House

Known incorrect connections:

Not touched:
-Valkyria
-Trako Manor
-Innovative Testing Initiative
-Innersea
-ff4de's Portal
-Random213
-Nimbalor's Doge Castle
-Someone's Village
-City of Beleriand Portal
-Belerians's Prismarine Farm
-CptSteiny's Mountian Castle
-Lrrmesses Pyramid
-Ravine Village
-Ysmault

NOTES:
- While Taos' Unerwater Waterland and Ender Labs were moved up, I did not copy their respective tunnel designs. Could someone do that?
-There's an already built rail system out to Random123. Probably best to either move the portal up and bring the rail line upwards, or dig stairs down. I'd say move the rail line up.
-Trako Manor is housed in a custom-designed building.
-Ravine Village isn't maked in the nether.
ritchards

Postby ritchards » 05 Sep 2015, 19:38

I'd like to make a rail way from my place to... well, the end point may as well be Little Arcanium, which is over 1000m away so I'll get an achievement.

However, this means I will be passing through other people's areas. Although I am at 51 depth, so below ground, I still need to make sure I'm not going to offend anyone.
I am going though -1000,474 to -2000,474. So far, I only saw something on the ground at around -1800, 474, although I don't know what that is or who owns it?

Once built, anyone can use it if they want.
squaredotcube

Postby squaredotcube » 07 Sep 2015, 11:20

There's a lot of empty lots open and ready to be built upon in Spawntown. Take a look:

Yellow-bordered lots are of no specific purpose and can be made into one structure or another. If you want an apartment, store, hotel or office in Spawntown these are the best lots to use.

The bright-blue lots in the square are stall lots - You can sell items here if you don't like the closed environment of the mall.

The red-outlined zones above some of the yellow lots are the height limit. The interstellar bus, although doesn't exist, still needs a clear path out of Spawntown, so anything higher than that zone is disallowed. The other red-outlined zone marks the Hall of Chests. If someone wants to build a third iteration of this building, (one that will hopefully stay this time,) talk to me or any of the other moderators.

The gray outline is the plot for New LRRst National Bank, which has little purpose other than to allow access to Ender chests or to "convert money into valuable resources" (gold, emerald and diamond). The city's reserve is also here, placed in a highly-secured vault. Feel free to build the ground and above levels but you'll need a mod to assist with the basement and sub-basement.

And finally, at the right edge of the map, there is part of a purple outline. This is the super-deluxe space in the Mall; currently it's the only one and has less limitations than the others, and allows for an exterior exit.

So there's the overview on the lots. Remember, if you want to build on one, just talk to me or any of the mods that are on at the time.

Now for the districts; most of these have some sort of limitation, others just have names. Spawntown's districts include:

• Downtown
  • French Quartier
  • Briton Baugh (planned)
  • Little Victoria
  • Little Vancouver
  • Junderdome (just the arena)
  • International District

Each are meant to have some sort of requirement:
  • French Quartier reqires French names for the buildings
  • Briton Baugh is Spawntown's corner of the UK, so UK elements are recommended
  • Little Victoria can be filled with LRR references and buildings actually found in Victoria
  • Little Vancouver is just a name for the district, though tall buildings are allowed
  • Junderdome is only the arena. Don't worry about it
  • International District is filled currently, unless patrons relocate to other locations

Return to “Video Games”