The Magic Venting Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: The Magic Venting Thread

Postby Duckay » 12 Jul 2015, 17:59

I mean, to be fair it's a little unintuitive because two-headed giant is a pain in the ass format. But on the other hand, I feel like the gracious thing to do as a judge is say "well, even though I mistakenly said X, the comprehensive rules say Y, so that is correct" and not either "fine, if we're going to play by those rules it is y" or "well I'm a judge so it's X because I say so".

I feel especially disappointed about the experience because it was his own game he was judging, so (whether it was deliberate or not) I feel like he had motivation to not be completely fair about his ruling.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 12 Jul 2015, 19:30

At my pre-release, Terry was doing his usual "Store owner who is pretty good at the rules and will lookup what he doesn't know but can't be arsed taking the certification stuff." and there is another judge there, higher tier than the base one, I don't pay attention to the numbers they get listed as.

I herped a derp, wiped the board and my opponent had that "useless" enchantment that lets him scry 1 whenever it works. I half remembered the quote from LSV and Marshall that it only works once. What I dind't remember is that it's only useless and goes off once if you chose to keep it at the top.
So, how did the judge, who was playing in his own game handle it? Explained why it works, not just quoting this or that line of text, casually, and let me have my "Oh... Fuck no, you're right, I was just half remembering this quote, here's the rest of it that I just remembered!" moment to not feel like a complete idiot, and then went and played his games.

That is how you be a judge. I've met "judges" who pulled the "I'm the judge so what I say goes." shit before. Their store went out of buisiness with them 200k in debt. So, feel free to have that attitude if you want nobody to play around you!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 12 Jul 2015, 20:00

The whole "judges are allowed to play in events they're judging at Regular" thing is there to encourage judges to actually judge at Regular events, when they'd much rather be playing.

It's emphatically not there for judges to give themselves a leg up by claiming absolute authority on the rules and giving questionable rulings in their own favour.

If a judge can't keep that separate, they should abdicate decisions for their own games to someone else. If that's too challenging, then just stop trying to play in tournaments you're judging!
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 12 Jul 2015, 20:08

I should note that maybe I am wrong about him ruling incorrectly because it was in his favour. However, I still hold that he was completely wrong to claim that he knows better than the comprehensive rules. Maybe he was just embarrassed about being wrong, or maybe he assumed I was wrong because I am not a judge, or maybe he was upset that I was second-guessing him (rightly or wrongly). It is just conjecture that it had anything to do with it being in his favour -- I just think that the possibility of it being for that reason makes the situation worse.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 12 Jul 2015, 20:33

I'm not taking issue with that part. I have no clue about the specifics of the rule, ruling and situation it was applicable to. I'm taking issue with his Attitude. I've once had a game against Mark (The higher level judge) where I steadfastly argued against him that my creatur still dealt damage afterI killed his blocker. It does not, I still have no idea what the situation I puilled that off on in MTG:o is, but I got it into my head that's how it worked and I spent a good 5 minutes arguing with him about it, he was good natured about it the entire time. As far as I'm concerned, rule 1 of being a judge: Be a nice person to interact with. Rule 2: Explain clearly the rules to the player so that they understand. Rule 2.a: If you can't explain them to make the player understand in a timely fashion, make it clear you can continue explaining it afterwards, when there isn't a game in process putting a time limit on your explanation.

The "I'm the judge, this is how it works." attitude is a shit attitude to have. I know for a fact, if you pull that attitude with a lot of people, you get your head kicked in. Try telling a drug dealer "No, your measurements are wrong, a ___ is ___, I'm a mathematician, therefore I am right." Well, don't you personally try that, you're cool. But tell someone you don't like to try it, I think seeing the outcome would be hilarious.
As a general rule, if I can think of a group of people that will beat the crap out of you for having some type of attitude, that attitude aint a good one to have, whether you're ever going to meet those people or not.

Duckay

Postby Duckay » 12 Jul 2015, 20:42

Sorry, I was directing that part to Phlip. I know the guy was wrong. I looked up the ruling, and also checked with others afterwards. The guy was just flat-out wrong. The part that is conjecture is whether it was an innocent mistake that he defended for some reason, or whether he knew he was trying to misrepresent the rules.

One way or another the guy was acting inappropriately, but I just wanted to clarify; I implied that he was cheating, and maybe he was just a jerk. I don't know exactly. But either way isn't good.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jul 2015, 21:42

OK I know I have brought it up before but I just dont get what the hell is going on.

My Mtgo limited rating is like 1750ish, I went infinite from M14 until just recently in paper by just trading back cards.

These two decks exemplify what I am talking about.

The first deck I missed all but the last three picks in pack 1 when littlest Lady Hosk woke up after I had joined the queue but I forgot to drop. it was a 6-2-2-2 I went 2-1(5-2), my two losses were in the final round, one because I never drew an Island and the other in a very close board stall, which my opponent won by top decking a flyer.

The second deck I went 0-4 with a win coming in the last round from a bye in a swiss.

The second deck is unquestionably stronger its a solid deck with lots of Agro and removal.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 14 Jul 2015, 15:41

Well, first rule of MTGO is that good decks 0-3, while mediocre to poor decks 3-0, but.....

That first deck is certainly not the most synergistic I've ever seen; however, it has multiple flat out BOMBS (caps intentional). The second deck has one arguable bomb (the Sabertooth) and a bunch of nice stuff, but nothing outstanding. I think that's why you had the results you did.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 27 Jul 2015, 09:10

MTGO has been an exercise in frustration lately for me.

I know I'm not an awesomely good player, I get that I'm not going to win all, most, or even that many drafts.

But the last four or five drafts I've done have been flat out miserable. I only open the terrible and/or only-tolerable-in-Constructed rares, I don't see good uncommons until pack 2 and then only in colours I'm not playing, I work hard on reading signals and moving into the colours I'm supposed to be in only to get aggressively cut in pack 2 and 3, and when the games roll around I inevitably realize that the guys to my left and right went in the same color as I am because because they opened the bomb rares.

Seriously, you'd think Sidisi was a common by how often I've ran into her in the last couple of months. :)

So yeah, just some venting here. :)
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 28 Jul 2015, 19:05

Why do people say things like "I would have won this one if <whatever unfortunate thing happened> hadn't happened" in the chat? And what on earth am I supposed to say to that? "No, mate, I still had answers in hand" makes me sound arrogant, "Well, try not to make that mistake again" makes me a jerk, and "Yeah, maybe" feels dishonest. "Better luck next time" is the best I can think of, but it still sounds insincere?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Jul 2015, 04:39

Depends on the situation, really.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Duckay

Postby Duckay » 29 Jul 2015, 05:43

My opponent ran out his clock and then messaged me saying he would have won if not for the clock. I don't know what to say to that because I was well ahead on board at the time and still had a good hand. Obviously I don't know exactly what his next play would have been, so it could have been dramatically stabilising, but it's not as though I was nearly dead and saved only by him running out of time.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Jul 2015, 08:31

Ah, well in that case, yeah. "Yeah, maybe" might be the only thing you COULD say in that situation.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 30 Jul 2015, 07:32

That sounds like a great time to use my patented "ignore the chat" strategy. It works well in every situation. :)

(Seriously, though - I'll commiserate if you lose to me topdecking my bomb rare, or if Worth gets you through landscrew or whatever. Bitching because I had the right common in my five-card hand, or because you insisted on drafting the durdliest, slowest deck possible in a format in each of the three drafts you're currently playing will only net you silence, and that's because I'm too old to be as assholish as you really deserve.)

On an unrelated note, I finally had a DTK draft go well. Worth had his bit of fun (first pack: choose between a foil mythic or my nemesis Sidisi... given my recent record, I took the money) and I knew through the whole draft that I was passing the nuts blue-black deck (which ended up being even nuttier than I thought, as I found out in match 2.)

But a timely open of a Citadel Siege and getting a Scaleguard in the third pack (and very timely "consistently have the Siege on turn 4" in said Match 2) got me a neat 3-0 record.

So, the lesson is obvious: whining on the Internet works :)
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 30 Jul 2015, 17:37

Oh, yeah, I get that. I mean, in that same event I beat someone else with my deck firing on all cylinders while they were mana-screwed. I was just top-decking threats, answers, threats, and they were stuck on 3 mana both games. I feel bad for that person.

And maybe it makes me kind of a jerk, but I don't really feel bad for the guy who ran out his clock. I got bored of waiting for him, made myself a coffee in the middle of our game and came back, and I was still waiting on him. If he'd said something like "something came up and distracted me", sure, but all he had to say was that he would have won if not for the clock? That screams multi-queuing to me, and therefore is his fault.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Aug 2015, 22:10

I played two khans/fate drafts over the past two days.

In the first draft round one was really close I lost 1-2 but they were all pretty good games. round two game one my opponent just curved perfectly then game two I kept a three lander and drew nothing but land.

In the second draft all 4 games I didn't draw a single spell. 5 games straight now in 17/23 decks with 2-4 land keeps I havent drawn a single nonland card.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
DelphiSantano
First Video: Unskippable - Dead Rising

Postby DelphiSantano » 03 Aug 2015, 23:34

Fog decks in standard. Fog decks are back in ruddy standard.
I think I may have been a little salty last night.

I'm normally irritable and not in the best of moods, but certain things will do that to you. Last night... the group found out what sort of deck pisses me off.
I think my feelings about fog decks are now well known to the local area.
"Do hydras lay eggs or bear live young?"

DCI Judge Level 2
JWiley129
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby JWiley129 » 04 Aug 2015, 08:02

Last week I went 1-2 at our Monday Night Drafts, and nearly lost to the deck running 4x Dreadwaters and Sphinx's Tutelage. I lost Game 2 to Mill and nearly tilted off.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 11 Aug 2015, 10:01

Feeling super frustrated with the game after Origins game day. Lost in the finals to RDW after that player got round 1 bye and pair downs while I had to play top seed each round and scrabble to the finals and then I lose because my deck won't cough up a good hand or more than a couple lands. I got way too invested in this event and spent way too much money and time prepping for it and losing like that to someone who didn't really have to face much competition to get to the finals and just netdecked the top deck from the last PT was just incredibly aggravating. Maybe constructed just isn't the right format for me.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Aug 2015, 04:17

I am getting really irritated to losing games in duels to the interface.

Me: attack reading a defensive combat trick but having a instant in hand
Them: Block
Them: Play combat trick
Me Click the pause button so I can cast my instant burn in response to the trick
Client (runs down timer) oh what? (pauses after trick has resolved)

[–]Graham_LRR
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 24 Aug 2015, 23:20

God damnit. Sort of general rant, but I got money put into my bank on Saturday. It normally goes through at the next midnight, had it put in there on saturdays and sundays before and it worked out fine. It's now Tuesday and no money. Which means I have no way to pay for a draft I wanna do soooo badly!

Duckay

Postby Duckay » 26 Aug 2015, 18:40

This is basically a follow-up to last time I posted a vent in this thread.

In much the same way as you shouldn't complain in the chat because it makes you look salty, when your opponent swings for lethal or casts a spell dealing lethal damage, the appropriate thing to do is to either allow the effect to resolve or click concede. Not sit for 10 minutes waiting to lose through timeout instead.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 26 Aug 2015, 19:48

Likely scenario is that they just closed Magic Online, they're not sitting there. This doesn't make it any better or more excusable, but it's more understandable.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 26 Aug 2015, 20:07

That could be true; I was thinking that closing Magic Online dropped you from the event, but I realize on further thought that that's not true, because losing connection doesn't drop you.

Still, it seems like poor form to make your opponent wait your timer out.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Aug 2015, 21:06

I've seen people do that to try cheating out a win. Namely, saying they're leaving, going away for ten minutes or so, then passing priority and hoping that the opponent doesn't notice they have to play.

But yeah, I had someone just let the timer run down when I first started using MTGO. It's just a really rude thing to do.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”