The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Aug 2015, 10:31

I feel like for the purposes of measurement, active probably doesn't include lurkers. It's too hard to track visits compared to posts. I would say if I were to set a criteria for active, I'd make it: has posted in at least three different threads within the last month, on non-consecutive days. Maybe a minimum post count, but I'm wary of setting a bar like that. It feels exclusionary. But something between 20 and 50 might be reasonable.

That's broad enough to include people that have busy lives and only get on now and then, but are recognizable regulars, and it means people that only come on for one day, or only ever post in one thread, aren't counted. Not to say there's anything wrong with acting either of those ways, but to me, it doesn't seem fully "active."

The other thing is, there's lots of people who use the forum in different ways. Some only comment on videos and podcasts. Others stick pretty much entirely to the Magic section. So while there are probably less than 100 people I'd think of as active regulars, I don't read the Magic section much, if ever, so my perception is missing all of those people. Meanwhile, I know there are definitely some frequent posters who don't watch videos anymore, so they might not recognize people that only comment there.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Aug 2015, 10:41

So, like 125 might be a high estimate if you also count the "single-threaders" and people who only post in a specific sub-forum? Interesting. I was mainly curious because sometimes it seems like there are lots and lots of people here, and other times, it seems like a tight-knit place with maybe only a dozen people or so. So maybe it's just the "core group" of people here when it feels sparse and it's the "core group" plus irregulars when it feels active.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Aug 2015, 12:32

Yeah, I mean, I haven't done any checking in on those numbers, that's just a guess. I think you're right, there's a decent handful (I'd probably say more than a dozen, though) that are very regular posters, and then others seem to come in waves. I'm sure part of it is just how everyone's real life is going, and when a bunch have more free time lining up, we get a surge. And then obviously things like holidays and Desert Bus can have an effect one way or the other.

And then there are also people who often have thousands of posts and have been active in the past but might be pretty rare posters now, who we might even still think of as regulars, just because we remember them being very active.

I wrote a book!
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 24 Aug 2015, 21:58

BlueChloroplast wrote:Well Lone Bard, you seem to have taken the same first path I did. I think that one has the most sex, the others only had one scene, but I never finished all the paths, Rin's was weird and I felt little attachment, so I got tired of the game before I finished Alice's as my last path (although I intend to finish it eventually, she looks like the most stable character).

Maybe I should date pidgeons instead :P

If by Alice you meant Hanako, you should. It's really playing on the protective instinct, but in the process managed to teach me a bunch about fragile people who just want to be normal... Sort of like myself. This game has been weird like that, it randomly teaches me things about people.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 26 Aug 2015, 18:55

Coming in a couple of days late to the activity discussion, I know that I don't know whether I count as a "regular" or not. (See: did not notice this discussion for a couple of days, only posts in the Magic forum most of the time). But also I've been here for a long time and have a moderate post count. I think that indicates that trying to define "regulars" is a difficult process, because there are so many "what about..."s to answer.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 26 Aug 2015, 22:12

Yeah, absolutely. It's a tough line to draw, and probably not one that needs to be. You're right, you're a good example of the problems with what I said above - you're absolutely someone I would consider a regular, but I can't say whether or not a specific criteria would include you.

In the end, I think having one hard and fast rule is problematic and is going to leave people who are valuable members of the community feeling left out. If someone was interested to compile stats of active users, I think I'd encourage them to just use their own judgement on a case by case basis and get a rough estimate to satisfy their curiosity. It'd be a big job, but given the relatively small size of this forum, could easily be done in a day, I think.

Just if anyone does that, please don't make a list of who you consider to be a regular public, even if you share the number. It's only going to lead to hurt feelings from people who feel like they should be there and aren't, and we don't want anyone to get the idea that they aren't appreciated or liked.

Or, I mean if you wanted to take a different route, just post a thread in each forum (other than video discussions which we can't) and just ask everyone who considers themselves a regular to sound off. Those that do within say, a month, get added up for a rough number.

I wrote a book!
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 27 Aug 2015, 06:54

Yesterday Bebop and I had sushi and arabic empanadas! we had a great time and I feel happy about it.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Aug 2015, 10:28

Jamfalcon wrote:It's a tough line to draw, and probably not one that needs to be.
Yeah, and part of what I was trying to say wasn't that it's a line that needed to be made. I was just trying to get a general sense, not an exact number, so if a few people fall just outside the "boundaries" it wouldn't matter. The difference between, say 20 and 25 or 55 and 60, is negligible for the purposes I was using.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 28 Aug 2015, 13:52

So... I have done a five minute stand up spot at an open mic in Edinburgh, and I elicited genuine muted titters from random strangers.

I think I would like to pursue this, it was a lot of fun and the adrenaline rush lasted for hours, I worked my way through several gin and tonics (both as Dutch courage and as a round afterwards to thank the lovely guitarist who recorded my 'set' for me) and was quite sober, possibly also because of the distance I jogged across Edinburgh to enthuse about it with lovely friends like a demented puppy.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 28 Aug 2015, 17:40

Well then.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 28 Aug 2015, 23:18

If only we were that lucky

@Ptangmatik: Sounds great! I've always found you to be quite funny on Fan Dump :D
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 29 Aug 2015, 03:57

Man, what happened to that? We should do another one of those
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 29 Aug 2015, 08:42

We actually did at GP London. CantWearHats will edit it into a video, provided the audio isn't garbo.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 29 Aug 2015, 09:19

Isn't there also a non-live one that's currently being recorded?
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 29 Aug 2015, 16:55

There was. We had the script done, but we didn't end up recording anything. :/
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 30 Aug 2015, 13:33

dutchster.tumblr.com wrote:maybe the reason i can’t sleep is because there are enemies nearby
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 03 Sep 2015, 23:06

Well, I bought my (probably long overdue) first car today. It has a lot of miles on it and I've only driven it home, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. :) And even more so that I can stop relying on other people for rides and taking buses to visit my girlfriend (who lives four hours and an international border away.)

And to add to the excitement, I've hatched a plan to go visit her next week as a surprise for her birthday. She's said offhandedly that she'd respond positively to an unexpected visit, since they're so tough with the distance. But it's haaaard not telling her that I even bought it yet. :P

I wrote a book!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 06 Sep 2015, 17:54

I seem to remember a little while after Desert Bus 8, there was a page floating around that talked about what went into creating the RDP button, with its big red button and auction keys and whatnot.

Does anyone know where that is? I've been looking around a lot and I can't find it anywhere...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Sep 2015, 11:17

Oh hey gang, been a while since I hung out here but I thought I'd let y'all know my wife and I are expecting a baby!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 11 Sep 2015, 11:44

Congrats Metcarfre!!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 11 Sep 2015, 11:54

That's awesome, huge congratulations to both you and your wife!

I wrote a book!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 Sep 2015, 13:00

Congratulations Metcarfre!
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Sep 2015, 13:16

Congrats, Metcarfre!
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Sep 2015, 21:32

Aw, congrats!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 12 Sep 2015, 08:14

I finnaly moved into my own flat today. Moving requires you to do a lot things.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”