New Quest Available!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
RedHelveticaCake
First Video: Feed Dump 146
Location: Toronto, floating 4' off the ground, next to a sink

Re: New Quest Available!

Postby RedHelveticaCake » 19 Aug 2015, 20:23

Hmm, I kind of already do this semi-regularly so I've seen most of the side streets in my neighbourhood between home and the bus stop I take to work. Because if you want to find cool, free stuff on the curb you have to look at a lot of different curbs. I'm going to go out of my way to do this quest.
You can lead an idiot to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 20 Aug 2015, 12:23

I've done this a couple of times in recent weeks, though it's nothing rivetingly exciting- changed my route for driving home to avoid the M1 (which is snarled with roadworks and has been for the last year), and changed my route for biking to work to avoid an awkward junction and take in a gravel track positively heaving with blackberries.

However, in the spirit of the quest, I tried a new way home today- up along the river and through park to the city centre. Whilst it's significantly longer than my usual route home, and isn't significantly easier (or as generous in blackberry production), it did at least lead me to discover vast swathes of what I'm fairly sure is wild rhubarb. I shall have to investigate further...
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 21 Aug 2015, 11:04

I don't really have anywhere I'm going to "regularly" right now, but I have had to take several bike trips to the mechanic since my car went in the shop, so today I took a longer route. I found the cemetery, the DMV, and one of the community gardens. On the way home, I actually went into the co-op (first time), and got an organic mango and some organic, local, seedless red grapes. I also marveled at their bulk section, and discovered that they regularly stock local, organic heirloom tomatoes. I'm definitely going to go there more.
-betsy
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 21 Aug 2015, 23:53

This was also a difficult one for me, I walk different routes every day, and know this city like the back of my hand. So yesterday upon leaving work, I just started walking in entirely the wrong direction. I passed an old hospital, it was deathly silent and still - I don't really believe in ghosts, but if I did then I'd be sure this place was haunted. I walked down a very long street, walled by tall black iron fences in front of a mass of various overhanging trees - brightly-coloured splotches on the ground indicating the trees had recently borne berries that the birds had enjoyed. I have no idea what was behind the fences or why the street was so long. The occasional flourishes of nature always intersected with roads. With cars all over them - obnoxious, ridiculously stylised boxes of death. Also: broken glass just across the road from a school, a pub full of pensioners, a seagull argued with a crow, gardens unkept and overgrown with weeds - or just paved over. Endless cul-de-sacs. More of the same, wherever you go.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 22 Aug 2015, 04:59

So on the way back from work yesertday I took a detour to go through three smaller villages that I wouldn't normally go through (because they're actually in the wrong direction on the route home). It was pleasant enough drive; and the roads were pretty quiet due the summer holidays.

In truth, the hard part about this quest is that there are very few places on my regular routes I have not been that aren't either in the opposite direction from where I'm going or just lead to dead ends.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Aug 2015, 07:48

A few days ago had to take a detour to go to our sister store to pick up stock. Passed by a little section of dark footpath tunnels that remind me of part of London.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 22 Aug 2015, 09:27

I've been detouring through the more residential neighborhoods of my tiny little mid-american hamlet while house hunting. Found some cute homes to look at... hope that counts. :)
Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 22 Aug 2015, 12:43

I was a bit tired tonight so I wasn't really into going for a detour but I mentioned the quest to my boyfriend as we went for a walk and he got really excited so we went on an adventure together. One of my regular walks is up the hill here in town and there's a little path halfway up that I've never walked and it leads into the forest. After walking a while there was a tall fence with official Keep Out signs on the left side of the road and behind it there was a slope down to the largest factory in town. It's semi abandoned so most of the buildings are worn and partially overgrown and it looked amazing. (We kept commenting on how awesomely it was designed to be an ideal FPS level.) On the right side of the road was an old limestone quarry that belonged to the factory. It was closed in with an electric fence but the gate was open and there was a note saying the public was welcome to walk around the site during the summer and feed the sheep that they keep there nowadays. Eventually we came all the way around the factory and I realised we had found the old mansion I've admired everytime I take the bus that goes out of town to the west. It was an awesome night altogether and we'll be going there again to explore some more of that old quarry.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 24 Aug 2015, 09:10

QUEST #32 IS NOW CLOSED

Quest #33

Once upon a time I had the idea of making a polar bear out of sugar. Because sugar is polar. And I am clever like that. I never DID it because that's a lot of work, but I still find the idea funny. Make me a visual pun (and it doesn't have to be that complicated; you can just draw something) and post it here. You can't use my polar bear idea, though, unless you actually intend to construct it out of sugar yourself.

Another example: Academia nut cookies (cookies with little professor heads in them) - an idea I had in high school but never got around to drawing.

Quest starts at 18:00 GMT on Monday, August 24, 2015, and ends at 17:59 GMT on Monday, August 31, 2015.

Good Luck!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Aug 2015, 09:58

(starts brainstorming pax pax)
a whole bunch of cosplayers with weapons sitting next to them holding stacks of cash because their strength has caused a unprecedented wealth...
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 31 Aug 2015, 04:45

DragonBall: The A-Bridge series.

(Note: I couldn't find my Vol:1 of this series, so Dante is standing in for me)
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 31 Aug 2015, 05:51

Well, you want 'academia nut cookies'...how's this?

...or maybe you thought it was just a hare-raising scheme?

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 31 Aug 2015, 06:22

Somehow this turned into a comic. Even though I can't draw horses. Or anything, really. But especially horses. Man, **** horses.

http://m.imgur.com/CdhWf2W

ps. empath, those are amazing!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 31 Aug 2015, 08:23

Can't get mine finished until tomorrow. I wanted something original.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 31 Aug 2015, 13:42

(This week's just going to be a free week to make up one missed quest of your choice. I need a bit of a breather, and I'm guessing everyone would like the chance to try a quest over.)

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 31 Aug 2015, 14:22

What about those with perfect records? [KappaFace]

But in all seriousness, this is a good idea with your move and all!

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 Sep 2015, 11:02

This week's quest is to adjust to living in a new country. ;)
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 07 Sep 2015, 02:44

Nobody wanted to renew an old quest, huh?

Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Sep 2015, 05:35

I was but an art commission got in the way and I was competing in a gaming in London yesterday. There and back again 500 miles in one day.
betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 07 Sep 2015, 08:49

Moving has a way of being highly distracting. I did just think of something for the visual pun not 15 minutes ago in the shower, but it's going to take me a little time to draw it, I expect no more than an hour.
-betsy
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 07 Sep 2015, 09:07

QUEST #33 IS NOW CLOSED

Quest #34

I really love parody lifehacks. Ones that are just odd, or make fun of clearly felonious or mean-spirited "real" lifehacks. Some lifehacks are actually useful, though, and that IS the spirit with which those image sets started out. So... do one or the other! Offer us your own, legit, lifehack, or make a completely useless or silly one! I can't wait to see what you make.

Quest starts at 18:00 GMT on Monday, September 7, 2015, and ends at 17:59 GMT on Monday, September 14, 2015.

Good Luck!

JustAName

Postby JustAName » 07 Sep 2015, 09:07

betsy: Go ahead, then. I'd like to see it. :)

betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 07 Sep 2015, 09:32

Bonus:

He's holey roamin' emperor. :D
-betsy
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 07 Sep 2015, 09:41

Going to sound like a square...

But what do you mean by a "lifehack"?

betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 07 Sep 2015, 09:52

In general, a "lifehack" is something that should make real life easier or a task faster. Like, here's a fake one:

Lifehack! Save time by washing your dishes with the towels!

Or a legit one:

Lifehack! Pick out your outfit the night before so there's less stress in the morning.
-betsy

Return to “General Discussion”