The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby RadioshackRaider » 12 Jul 2015, 13:04

You sound like you'd like my Karona Allies commander deck. I'm pretty much never allowed to play it anymore. That artifact sounds fun in that deck. I built it because I had a miserable time playing my brothers Bant Allies deck with Rite of Replication, yet enjoyed the idea of it. They remain my favourite tribe to today and I really would like some new ones so I can go full Allies in that deck
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 12 Jul 2015, 14:40

My favourite tribe is definitely still Elves. Nothing beats casual magic witht he elf deck that's sitting there with 500 1/1 elf tokens off a Ryhs and a few Wellwishers just gaining you 1000 life per turn.
But most fun to play with some competitiveness is definitely Elves. I also ran Rite in that deck, I ran Rite in a lot of decks. Remember the level up cards? I once had a U/G deck with Lighthouse chronologist and lots of ramp... Yeah, kickered rites on that. Few turns later, I was taking about 10 turns to every one my opponent took. I loved rites in the same set as Chalice.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Jul 2015, 22:59

So, I want some feedback on a comparison between two cards: Fact or Fiction and Steam Augury.
Leaving aside the fact that Steam Augury commits you to two colors while Fact or Fiction only requires one, these cards are basically the same: 4 CMC, split top 5 cards into 2 piles and put one of those piles in your hand. The difference comes with who does what. FoF has opponent split the cards and you choose, while SA has you split the cards and opponent choose. Ideally, it's been said that anything that gives an opponent a choice is not so good, but these are pretty good cards, most people say. In either case, you typically get at least one pretty good card out of the deal.

So what I want to ask is this: is one of them actually better, in general? (Specific cases vary, of course.)

Is there a real difference between you splitting the cards up and opponent trashing or your opponent splitting and you trashing?

What would typically happen in FoF is that your opponent will look at the cards and then, knowing board state and their hand, will split up the cards so you only get 1 good card maximum, from their perspective. Then you choose which pile is best for you, knowing the cards in your hand.
For SA, what you'd do is look at the cards, find the two best, and put them into separate groups, maybe throwing either third or fourth best down with one of them. Then, your opponent will choose which group looks least scary to them.

Both of you are kind of indirectly implying private information of what's in your hand and deck, either by splitting or choosing. If opponent splits, it shows which cards they don't want to deal with in tandem. If opponent chooses, a similar thing is implied. If you split, you show your opponent which cards you want, and the same if you choose.

So, is there any qualitative difference between who splits and who chooses? If not, then of course FoF wins by default, since it doesn't need red.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 18 Jul 2015, 01:20

FoF is just better in the decks that are playing it.

With Steam Augury, you have to make the piles as even as possible (unless you think you can bluff them), so half of the value of the 5 cards is as good as you're ever going to get, and since you can't really split the value up nicely, you're more likely to end up with the lesser half, if you opponent has a good idea of what you need. Best case scenario, you get slightly better than half the valiue

With FoF, slightly better than half the value is the absolute worst case scenario, if you're opponent splits them correctly, and you'll always pick the better half. And then, if you're opponent doesn't split them correctly, because they don't know what you want, you get even more value.

Additionally, FoF works in decks that are looking for a few specific cards, since if you're looking for a single card, you end up looking 5 cards deep, and can always get it if you hit, even if you opponent knows what it is. If you're opponent knows what you're looking for with SA, they just don't give you that pile, no matter how you stack them.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 19 Jul 2015, 18:04

Yeah, the differences between FoF and Augury in my mind are:

As a baseline, given perfect play by both players, and perfect information (ie your opponent knows what you're deck's trying to do, and the cards in your hand don't affect which cards you want from the top 5)... for both cards, the correct split is essentially one where the two piles have as equal value as possible, and with FoF you get the minimally-better one, and with Augury you get the minimally-worse one.

Then, from that baseline, the "splitting" step is a lot harder to do than the "choosing" step... it has a lot more options, with more room for error... so FoF giving that task to your opponent, you're giving them more opportunity to make mistakes in your favour. While with Augury your maximum ability to have your opponent make mistakes in your favour is that they'll pick the better of the two piles by mistake.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 21 Jul 2015, 08:00

I have an MTGO question, if anyone can answer it:

After playing a bunch of phantom things and whatnot I've accumulated a lot of Dragons of Tarkir 5-card boosters ... which are apparently not the same Dragons of Tarkir boosters you need to enter drafts, sealed events, and whatnot. Are they used for anything except as a source of cards, or can I open 'em for loot?
It's fish in a tin!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Jul 2015, 09:13

They are a source of promo cards. They'll have different art than the regular cards. You could use them to spice up a Constructed collection, or bots might buy those cards for a different price than the normal ones. Actually, depending on which cards you have, I might have an interest in some of them.

Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 21 Jul 2015, 22:17

In that case, I'm going to go crack some packs! Let's see what my characteristically mediocre luck can produce.
It's fish in a tin!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 22 Jul 2015, 00:01

I think you also get 5-card packs for playing new-player drafts, but those are usually core set. In any case, yeah, there is no use for them except cards, and I'm pretty sure they're not even tradable.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 22 Jul 2015, 02:50

Looks like I didn't get much of interest anyway - the rares I opened were Shaman of Forgotten Ways, Blessed Reincarnation, Profaner of the Dead and Surrak, the Hunt Caller. None of which are hugely exciting - Surrak is okay I guess?
It's fish in a tin!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jul 2015, 09:28

If you're in the trading mood, I've got decks that could use Shaman and/or Surrak.

the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 23 Jul 2015, 18:25

Serrum visions FNM promo for August. Calling all Cams, calling all Cams. Come in Cameron.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 23 Jul 2015, 18:33

Oh, I'm sure he's very aware at this point. :P
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 24 Jul 2015, 23:05

So last night I witnessed the greatest thing I have seen in all my years playing magic.

The newest member of my Commander play group decided to buy two packs on a whim. One Fate, One Dragons. Once paid for, we sat down at the table waiting to play and started chatting, and while talking about my inability to sell me foil Ugin, he cracks into the Fate Booster. What do you know, he opens his second Ugin. Goes onto the Dragons booster and opens a foil Dragonlord Silumgar. His reaction is the best I've seen from any magic player yet. It was like watching a child. It was kinda heartwarming. Cut to 20 minutes later, first game truly underway. We hear a very loud Holy Shit. We discover why. While waiting for his turn, the new guy flicks though his packs and discovers he also opened a foil Soulfire Grand Master. It was amazing to see such greatfullness for great pulls after being surrounded by judges who are never happy or impressed about their pulls.

Related news: I now own both a foil Monastery Mentor and a foil Soulfire Grand Master. Shu Yun = happy Commander
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 27 Jul 2015, 23:46

Between a draft or two and some prerelease sealed things, I've got enough of a card base to start putting together a constructed thopter deck. It doesn't have a lot of the things I'd like - the Masters of the Foundry, Thopter Spy Network, Hangarback Walkers, Thopter Engineers, Ramrollers etc - but it's been doing fairly well in casual play on MTGO with Gearcrafters, Kia & Piran, and a healthy dose of burn spells.

But the real joy of the deck is Ensoul Artifact and regular M15 Darksteel Citadels and Ornithopters. Being able to make an indestructible 5/5 on turn two is a special kind of joy. The first time I did it, my opponent said "This is BS" and dropped. Living the dream, baby!

I'm halfway tempted to try to put together the real thing, gather up all the cards I'm missing, but since M15 is rotating out soon (I think?) perhaps that's folly.

One thing I have learned is that Bonded Constructs are garbage, so they'll be coming out of the deck pronto.
It's fish in a tin!
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 28 Jul 2015, 00:47

M15 rotates out with Theros on 2nd October, I'm really going to miss Ensoul Artifact - 'tis such a beautiful and elegant thing.

I played against a thopter deck at the last standard fnm, Chief of the Foundry was an absolute monster - definitely worth getting some in there.
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 28 Jul 2015, 18:30

M15 and Theros block rotate out at the same time? I didn't know that. Now I'm less inclined to actually make the Palace Siege/Mogis/Ruthless Deathfang/Exploit deck.

In other news, I went 0-3 in an Origins draft last night. Put together a real failure of a blue-black durdlenaut without any real way to put pressure on the opponent. That was rather depressing.
It's fish in a tin!
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 06 Aug 2015, 15:33

I have a new series of videos on youtube that I'd like to get more viewers for, and it is magic the gathering related. I'm let's playing games and posting them. What would be the proper protocol for that?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Aug 2015, 15:51

Played Purphoros tokens at game day. Went 2-2. The deck was fun, if a bit inconsistant. I think I went too light on land.

The fun, however, was after. We got six people for a fun draft. I ended up pulling Demonic Pact P1P1. I was like "no way I'll play this." Then my draft went... weird. I ended up four colors. Cut it down to Esper. Basically B/W auras with some blue enchantments and other good cards. Two Disperse and the Pact made it in.

Ended up going 2-1, losing to a super aggressive red deck (the only red drafter at the table). I got to Demonic Pact two people to death. One I made discard four cards, drew four cards, and drained for 8 damage too. Double Patrick helped me scry to the Disperse when I needed it. Turns out, Demonic Pact is powerful. And I never actually lost to it. So I call that a big, fun win.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Aug 2015, 10:55

JackSlack said a questions about sigil of the empty throne in the judge thread and I had to share this.

In Duels I had Sigil in play and a Blesses spirit that I put a Inferno Fist on previously making it a 5/3. 1 card in hand (Call of the Full Moon)

My opponent had a Blood-Cursed Knight and a Eyeblight Assassin.

They were at 5 life I was at 6.

Opponents first main cast Fleshbag Marauder sacking the marauder I have to sack my spirit. they attack for 5 putting me to 1.

I draw thinking im dead, Nimbus Wings... (sigh) think... wait....

Cast call on their creature creating a angel, cast nimbus on my angel creating a second angel and triggering the sack of the call. Pass turn back Opponent quits.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ThePasserby
First Video: Mercenary Solutions

Postby ThePasserby » 12 Aug 2015, 13:11

Hey everyone, just thought I'd stop by and make a post. Hope everyone is having a good day. :)

I got into Magic in Theros block and pre-M15 because of the Friday Nights videos, played Green Devotion throughout and I have just switched to Modern Green Devotion. It's a experience I think, trying to get used to the power levels. Was expensive too.

Right. Was thinking of getting some opinions. Like I am thinking of trying out Archenemy for fun and getting some Schemes...but I am unsure how Archenemy works or if this decklist works with that format(I have only one deck right now), so I need advice on which schemes are optimal for this deck...and if anyone has comments on this deck list, I would love to hear them too.

This is the Star City Games Green Devotion Decklist with some changes. Took out the Wolfbrair Elemental for a Nylea, Goddess of the Hunt, and the Abundant Growths for a Emrakul and a Fevor(well 1 AG, I had to sub in a Nylea's Presence because I only have 1 AG), and in the side board I replaced the Primal Command with a Summoning Trap(thinking of cutting something else for another trap, advice?). I couldn't get any Wistful Silkies so I subbed in Coursers. Landwise I also subbed in another Wolf Run and a Mountain for redundancy against land destruction.

21 Lands
6x Forests
1x Mountain
4x Wooded Foothills
2x Windswept Heaths
2x Kessig Wolf Run
2x Stomping Ground
4x Shrine to Nyx

5 Enchantments/Artifacts
4x Utopia Sprawl
1x Akroma's Memorial

4 Planewalkers
4x Garruk Wildspeaker

5 Instants/Sorceries
2x Primal Command
3x Genesis Wave

25 Creatures
4x Arbor Elves
2x Jorga Treespeaker
2x Birds of Paradise
4x Burning Tree Emissary
4x Eternal Witness
3x Courser of Kruphix
3x Primeval Titan
1x Crater Hoof Behemoth
1x Nylea, Goddess of the Hunt
1x Emrakul, Aeons Torn

15 Sideboard
2 Spellskite
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Beast Within
1 Combust
1 Dismember
1 Nature's Claim
2 Creeping Corrosion
2 Vexing Shusher
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

Edit: Fires of Yavimaga illegal in modern, mistake on my part. Replaced with Fevor for now.

EDIT 2: Current Deck List 8-20-15
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 15 Sep 2015, 11:55

So I'm kinda in a pickle about something. My LGS is running out of basics, and so am I. I've got about less then 10 Islands and Forests and my store isn't faring much better. On other land I'm stocked up, as is the store and I need ideas on how to refill on them, especially with the pre-release coming up, I fear the store won't have enough to cover every-one, even though the pre-releases will be small. Normally the problem would fix itself there as the basics from draft packs end up in the store box, but draft attendance has been low for months. Is there anywhere I can pick up large amount of bulk land for cheap? Help please
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 15 Sep 2015, 13:05

You're cutting it a bit close. :P

You could try contacting a site like Card Kingdom via email, and see if they can offer any deals for lands in bulk. They may, especially if you don't care about pristine condition or which set they're from. (I got a decent deal for getting bulk of a specific common I wanted.)

Alternatively, your LGS might try offering some store credit/free entry for lands.

In the future, you might consider incentives to increase draft attendance, at least until it gets to be a bit more established.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 16 Sep 2015, 17:20

Hey everyone, I'd like to get everyones opinion on a deck list. Its for my sister who just got into magic, I'll be visiting her to take her to the BFZ prerelease, so far shes just been playing Magic Duels Origins. I want to build her a standard deck to surprise her with when I show up, but I don't play a lot of constructed, so I'm never sure how to evaluate a standard deck. I found this list online. It seems alright to me, and I already have all the cards, but I wanted additional opinions. Any tips, or reasonably priced decklists that don't include anything that's about to rotate would be appreciated

http://deckstats.net/decks/17773/316871 ... antment/en
ThePasserby
First Video: Mercenary Solutions

Postby ThePasserby » 17 Sep 2015, 16:35

Booster wrote:Hey everyone, I'd like to get everyones opinion on a deck list. Its for my sister who just got into magic, I'll be visiting her to take her to the BFZ prerelease, so far shes just been playing Magic Duels Origins. I want to build her a standard deck to surprise her with when I show up, but I don't play a lot of constructed, so I'm never sure how to evaluate a standard deck. I found this list online. It seems alright to me, and I already have all the cards, but I wanted additional opinions. Any tips, or reasonably priced decklists that don't include anything that's about to rotate would be appreciated

http://deckstats.net/decks/17773/316871 ... antment/en

Seems functional. Though the Sorins might be pricy, but seeing as you have everything already, looks good. Question is, is BW enchantments something in her wheelhouse? Plus it doesn't have a sideboard, or at least the link you linked doesn't have one, that would depend on your local meta anyway.

As for tips, well, explain F2F IRL Magic lingo and etiquette. Sounds like she has only ever played against a computer, if she plays against a person, that person may do things in a way that is not newbie friendly. Like explain what they are doing or why something happens because it would be obvious to a established player. Like tell her its okay for her to call a judge if she needs to, or if she doesn't understand a card or wants to look at one, that's okay too.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”