Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 Jan 2015, 04:31

Christmas Inception
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 03 Jan 2015, 14:12

I like that plan, Hosk, but to be honest - I hold no hope that 'Grand Moff Stephen" will ever adopt it, so I'm just gonna keep Dr.Who at arm's length until he isn't involved with it anymore. :(
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Jan 2015, 14:20

With how incredibly popular both Dr Who and Sherlock are I think maybe the LRR community is maybe just too smart. The General public clearly doesn't seem to see how badly written they are.

I originally watched Sherlock after a girl in my understanding media class used it as the basis of her paper and presentation and was talking about how true it was to the source and how smart it was. Then I watched it and I was like thats not smart, smart is: "Here are the clues you missed but that were clear if you were observant enough" Sherlock spends the whole episode leading you down a path with little clues then finishes with "What you didn't know was the real clues were off camera and you had no possible way of figuring this information out IM BRILLIANT!"

And that young woman wasn't even one of the ones I refer to as "How did you graduate high school" she seemed smart.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 03 Jan 2015, 14:35

If Moffat wrote a male character and turned them female while still keeping the traits almost identical to how they were last depicted, I am sure people would still see it as sexist. Because they did ;)

As for the fairness of Sherlock;
Sherlock was certainly like that in the later seasons, but the earlier ones played fair imho. (At least, I guessed some of them, so it couldn't have been impossible)
That said, its entertaining for the character writing and acting, less then the overall plots. (and, very very few detective shows stand up to plot scrutiny. Some Jonathan Creak maybe - but that struggled with its impossible crimes too. The problem is that normally evidence can be interpreted many ways making it quite hard to write a 40min plot where the real answer is the only logical one).

Sherlock is frequently very funny, and they are good at showing Holmes flaws beyond just "a bit rude" which some adaptations fall into.
Id also give it credit massively for exploiting and subverting troupes. In a world of tv shows that will quite happily play the idea of a "computer code able to hack everything" straight, they take it and highlight it for what it is - a piece of utter nonsense that sadly a lot of people would still buy.
(I will give credit here also to "Person of Interest", another technically competent show, but nearly nothing else seems to have a clue about how computers work)
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 03 Jan 2015, 14:45

Anyway for those missing Doctor Who, I strongly recommend Dan Slotts Silver Surfer comic.
Unashamably inspired by Who, and making all sorts of "best of 2014" lists.

(a typical start to a plot...click for the full pages)
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 04 Jan 2015, 00:50

Darkflame wrote:That said, its entertaining for the character writing and acting, less then the overall plots. (and, very very few detective shows stand up to plot scrutiny. Some Jonathan Creak maybe - but that struggled with its impossible crimes too. The problem is that normally evidence can be interpreted many ways making it quite hard to write a 40min plot where the real answer is the only logical one).

Sherlock is frequently very funny, and they are good at showing Holmes flaws beyond just "a bit rude" which some adaptations fall into.
Id also give it credit massively for exploiting and subverting troupes. In a world of tv shows that will quite happily play the idea of a "computer code able to hack everything" straight, they take it and highlight it for what it is - a piece of utter nonsense that sadly a lot of people would still buy.
(I will give credit here also to "Person of Interest", another technically competent show, but nearly nothing else seems to have a clue about how computers work)

This very much.
I personally don't mind the offscreen clues and all that so much, because of pretty much what you just said.

Darkflame wrote:Anyway for those missing Doctor Who, I strongly recommend Dan Slotts Silver Surfer comic.
Unashamably inspired by Who, and making all sorts of "best of 2014" lists.
[image]
(a typical start to a plot...click for the full pages)

Ooh, that looks good; I'll definitely check that out. :)
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 14 Jan 2015, 22:19

Lord Hosk wrote:I have some great tips for Moffat for writing quality female characters.

Step one: Write a Really strong character with logical motivations and flaws.
Step two: instead of giving that character the name Robert or William, name them Emily or Tara.
Step three: Hire a female actor to play the role.
Step four: DONT CHANGE THE CHARACTER to try to make it "more female"

I love it!
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Jul 2015, 14:42

tbug

Postby tbug » 09 Jul 2015, 15:21

Anyone care to speculate on who Maisie Williams is playing? Susan, perhaps? Or Jenny?
Dale
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 09 Jul 2015, 17:41

Nah; it's Romana ;^)
tbug

Postby tbug » 09 Jul 2015, 17:51

I would love that! I thought that the Beeb didn't have the rights to that character, though.
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 10 Jul 2015, 00:50

I'm in two minds.

Part of me thinks it's a new character. You cast an awesome actor, so it's good to cast them as a new character, rather than them trying to fill the shoes of an existing one. The teaser at the end is showing off Maisie because she has massive Game of Thrones following (because Arya is awesome, yet flawed because of her age, character).

Another part can see why it can be Doctor's past which we know of. You cast Maisie! Michelle Gomez plays the Master. So when you get a Big Actor, they play someone significant (Hurt Doctor). The teaser confirms she is someone important!

Go with 1), so that if it is 2) it's an awesome surprise.

If you stick with 2) and it's 1), it's disappointing.

I'm still kinda disappointed that the heavy handed Omega Easter Eggs haven't hatched yet.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 12 Jul 2015, 05:50

A pessimist is never disappointed :)

Btw, I suppose you guys have seen the Lego Dimensions trailer;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 0Plc14q7Ws

A nice collection of IPs they are getting together here.
--
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 13 Jul 2015, 06:14

Curious to see if she's a new companion either way though not followed Game of Thrones close enough to know whether that show's production schedule allows for it.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Jul 2015, 06:24

It'd be weird if they did a cross over episode with Portal.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 13 Jul 2015, 07:45

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:It'd be weird if they did a cross over episode with Portal.

Oddly, it would somehow fit.
Waking up in a abandoned facility, having to fight a passive aggressive AI. That is a sort of mess the doctor would get himself into it.

For the shear fandom pleasing aspect though of that Lego game, its the potential for The Doctor to meet Doc Brown that has me interested though :D (God I hope they get Christopher Lloyd for the voice work. Tell Tale managed to get him for their game so it should be possible if he is up for it)
--
tbug

Postby tbug » 13 Sep 2015, 19:27

Seen the prologue?

The Master seems like the obvious subject under discussion, but I'd be much happier if it were Borusa or Rassilon or Omega they were referencing. I want more of the Master—don't get me wrong—I just don't think that we need this kind of foreshadowing for him/her returning.
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Sep 2015, 02:21

Some think Young Davros.
tbug

Postby tbug » 14 Sep 2015, 07:51

My wife suggested that when we first watched it. I thought there was too much ambiguity concerning their friendship, not to mention the Doctor liking him.
Dale
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 16 Sep 2015, 02:54

Well the master is a woman now, so maybe that discounts her from being the subject of the discussion?

(Also, for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet, here's a link)
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
tbug

Postby tbug » 16 Sep 2015, 05:46

Maybe it does. S/he's just the most obvious candidate for the person who has been frenemies with the Doctor all their lives.

What's John Barrowman up to these days? Could it be Captain Jack?

Long odds bet: Adric.
Dale
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Sep 2015, 06:54

Could she be the Doctor's clone daughter?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
tbug

Postby tbug » 16 Sep 2015, 09:01

Are we talking about the person Ohila says wants to meet with the Doctor? Or are you harkening back to the conversation about Maisie Williams? If the latter, do you mean a regenerated Jenny (from The Doctor's Daughter)?

I mean, the answer is probably yes, but I'd love clarification on what the question is. :D
Dale
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Sep 2015, 14:28

Masie Williams being Jenny.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 16 Sep 2015, 16:28

We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”