Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Sep 2015, 04:53

It annoys me when these articles happen. It's an utter spoiler if it's true.

I miss the days when I didn't know if a companion (would leave) or Doctor would regenerate.

Exception, we all knew 9 would go into 10.
tbug

Postby tbug » 17 Sep 2015, 09:14

Moffat seems uninterested in Jenny's story, sadly. It would be awesome to see the character return, though! Since Moffett (the performer who created the role) also seems uninterested, Williams would be a fun choice for a replacement. Hopefully she'll be into becoming a recurring character, whoever she's playing.
Dale
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 18 Sep 2015, 04:07

Jenna has confirmed she's leaving now.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Sep 2015, 08:26

I miss the days of when a companion leaving was a surprise.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Sep 2015, 14:59

Certainly was an episode. Awaiting part 2 before having an opinion.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 20 Sep 2015, 13:14

Crammed a heck of a lot of ideas that episode.
Arguably "stakes too high = no stakes at all" syndrome, if people know what I mean.
Still, fun to watch.

Agreed with companions leaving etc. Ditto for Doctors. Seems unavoidable not to know these days :(
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 20 Sep 2015, 15:27

Loved the episode! Also, SO MUCH BUDGET. Very slick, love the style.

The nods to classic Who were pretty great. Missy completely brushing over the matter of her not being dead was hilarious, Davros is interesting, and overall, I thought this episode is a great start to the season.
Hopefully the second part lives up to the first.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 22 Sep 2015, 03:35

Colony Sarf is yet another example of Moffat's frequent problem from the last 2 years - great villain concepts utterly wasted as unimportant bit-parts used to make the trailers more exciting.

But yes, an interesting episode, but felt a bit crammed into the time limit.

Hand mines. Brilliantly simple and creepy idea.

Also, unless the Daleks guns have been upgraded from the traditional x-ray style, I'm not sure they've even killed Missy & Clara, as they "vaporised" rather than their bones going on display. I stand corrected, rewatched the episode, there is indeed X-rays.
Last edited by PlasmaCow on 22 Sep 2015, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Sep 2015, 06:59

Colony Sarf acting as a courier really undermined him.

Presented well, but my memory of him is of him doing little. However, if I watch the episode again, he has a lot of screen time.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Sep 2015, 11:33

Like!
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 26 Sep 2015, 13:12

^
Agreed.

Good episode, looking forward to the next.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
tbug

Postby tbug » 26 Sep 2015, 22:36

The thing that's most interesting to me about Clara is the way that she wants to be the Doctor. Now I just want to watch the show with her and Missy.
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Sep 2015, 01:09

I liked how they kept making Missy almost likable and then she'd do something despicable.

I found the bromance in the middle awkward and weird. I'm glad how it was in the end.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 27 Sep 2015, 09:06

Two particularly great one liners:

"I'm keeping this chair by the way."

"Ow!"
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Sep 2015, 09:21

I like two know where the second chair came from.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 27 Sep 2015, 10:23

tbug wrote:The thing that's most interesting to me about Clara is the way that she wants to be the Doctor. Now I just want to watch the show with her and Missy.

Yes, a spin off show with Clara and Missy would be amazing, they were easily the highlight of the first two-parter. Maybe Jenna can come back for a few specials after she finishes playing Queen Victoria?

Unfortunately I'm a bit scared about where Moffat is going with the Missy/Clara storyline considering the "throwaway/foreshadowing" lines like "A friend inside an enemy, an enemy inside a friend", or the one about Missy having a daughter???!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Sep 2015, 14:36

Missy wouldn't endanger her own daughter.

BTW, Missy referred to The Doctor being a little girl at one time. Unless gender is kinda irrelevant on Gallifrey.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 28 Sep 2015, 17:08

I liked the line where Missy also refereed to her gender change as a upgrade the Doctor couldn't afford :D

Anyway, very good episode indeed. Glade the resolutions wernt just "timey whimmy" stuff. Solid episode morality concept too - with superb conversations between the Doc and Davros - holding attention when theres little to no action.

I think my only issue was the Tardis not being destroyed was just "hand waved" away. That fealt cheap to me.
==

Oh, also has anyone else spotted that Daleks have always sort of been "mutant space Nazis robots" yet some are now "Zombie mutant space nazi robots"

Its no wonder they are so popular, they are like every chessy horror villain in one :D
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 28 Sep 2015, 17:12

I believe Moffat's said that gender is rather irrelevant, seeing as their physical sex isn't set in stone. Also, Missy said that in a list of things, immediately followed by "and one of those things was a lie", if I heard correctly.
I sadly missed the last season entirely through an unfortunate loss of BBC America, so this last Christmas special on is all I've seen of Capaldi, and I really like him so far. His scenes alone with Davros I thought were great. The sonic sunglasses...maybe not so much. There was (and will be again, I'm sure) something so unique about the sonic screwdriver that a pair of shades will never replace, regardless of how magnificently Capaldi pulls them off.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 28 Sep 2015, 17:20

Oh agreed. Cant see the sunglasses lasting long.
I thought it was just a little reference to wearables being "in" at the moment in real life.
--
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 01 Oct 2015, 16:34

So. Spinoff. http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/61878 ... noff-class

Thoughts?

Seems a nice enough idea to me. I dought it will be as fun as the Sarah Jane Adventures was though, as a lot of the joy of that came from Elisabeth Sladen.
--
tbug

Postby tbug » 01 Oct 2015, 17:46

I've never read any Patrick Ness, but I think that's about to change. Anyone else read him?
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Oct 2015, 01:55

There's quite an absence of a lot of information.

I wonder if Clara will be involved if at all? I doubt it since companions, even if they enjoy their time on the show, want to move on to new roles.
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 03 Oct 2015, 08:40

Darkflame wrote:I think my only issue was the Tardis not being destroyed was just "hand waved" away. That fealt cheap to me.

I know, it was so bad, it was almost like they brought Russell T Davies back as a guest writer. Luckily the rest of the show was so good, I was happy to ignore small details like that.

Darkflame wrote:So. Spinoff. http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/61878 ... noff-class

Thoughts?

Seems a nice enough idea to me. I dought it will be as fun as the Sarah Jane Adventures was though, as a lot of the joy of that came from Elisabeth Sladen.

SJA wasn't too bad, but the episodes we've had previously featuring the kids at Coal Hill (e.g. that crappy one where the Doctor pretends to be a caretaker, that very crappy one with the trees, that really stupidly crappy one with the moon) were annoyingly crappy, so I'm not holding out too much hope.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 03 Oct 2015, 12:23

Spinoff: Interesting. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that. Hope it's not like the god-awful K-9 series.

New episode: I enjoyed it.

Return to “General Discussion”