The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Ladsworld
First Video: Friday Nights

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Ladsworld » 17 Sep 2015, 17:53

I felt like making some standard decks. So I made some standard decks.

Mono Black Midrange

Creatures
3 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4 Erebos' Titan
4 Despoiler of Souls
4 Hangarback Walker
3 Smothering Abomination
4 Silumgar Assasin

Spells
4 Ruinous Path
3 Ultimate Price
3 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Transgress the Mind

Lands
21 Swamp
4 Mortuary Mire

Blue Black Ingest

Creatures
2 Sire of Stagnation
4 Wasteland Strangler
4 Fathom Feeder
4 Dominator Drone
3 Oblivion Sower
3 Ulamog's Nullifier
3 Benthic Infiltrator
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Dragonlord Silumgar

Spells
4 Silumgar's Command
3 Horribly Awry

Lands
4 Mortuary Mire
3 Dismal Backwater
4 Polluted Delta
4 Sunken Hollow
2 Skyline Cascade
2 Island
1 Swamp
Last edited by Ladsworld on 18 Sep 2015, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Chat Name: DrChillbrain
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 18 Sep 2015, 03:30

ThePasserby wrote:
Booster wrote:Hey everyone, I'd like to get everyones opinion on a deck list. Its for my sister who just got into magic, I'll be visiting her to take her to the BFZ prerelease, so far shes just been playing Magic Duels Origins. I want to build her a standard deck to surprise her with when I show up, but I don't play a lot of constructed, so I'm never sure how to evaluate a standard deck. I found this list online. It seems alright to me, and I already have all the cards, but I wanted additional opinions. Any tips, or reasonably priced decklists that don't include anything that's about to rotate would be appreciated

http://deckstats.net/decks/17773/316871 ... antment/en

Seems functional. Though the Sorins might be pricy, but seeing as you have everything already, looks good. Question is, is BW enchantments something in her wheelhouse? Plus it doesn't have a sideboard, or at least the link you linked doesn't have one, that would depend on your local meta anyway.

As for tips, well, explain F2F IRL Magic lingo and etiquette. Sounds like she has only ever played against a computer, if she plays against a person, that person may do things in a way that is not newbie friendly. Like explain what they are doing or why something happens because it would be obvious to a established player. Like tell her its okay for her to call a judge if she needs to, or if she doesn't understand a card or wants to look at one, that's okay too.

Thanks for the feedback. I think she will like that deck. I asked her what colours she had been enjoying so far, and her answer was "Not blue". Knowing my sister I cant see sideboarding being a thing she would want to worry about at this point. I'll make sure to discuss the concept with her though. And I definitely want to make sure she gets a handle on player etiquette, that's why I'm driving to her place to take her to the prerelease, I also have 12 packs of origins saved up from winning drafts for us to do some sealed with the day before.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 18 Sep 2015, 11:47

I can't emphasize how important it is for new players to not be concerned with calling a judge over for clarification. Calling a judge is NOT an accusation aimed at your opponent. It is something that high level players do all the time to verify a confusing board state or effect. As a newer player, many board states will be confusing to you.

Even if your opponent tells you 'this is how things work', I would still call a judge over if you don't understand the interaction. They might be right, or they might be wrong. More importantly though, even if they're right their explanation might be incomplete and misleading if they're short-cutting the explanation in an area they incorrectly assume you are familiar with.

(It's not huge, but just make certain your language doesn't come across as accusatory; don't say 'is he lying', you can ask 'is this correct?' or simply list the effects in question and ask 'what happens now?')
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 21 Sep 2015, 06:37

Can someone explain to me why living weapons are good? They seem too expensive to be worth it.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 21 Sep 2015, 06:57

I think it's the same reason that people play bestow creatures: They're 2 for 1s. Basically, each living weapon starts off as a creature, then becomes an equipment once the creature dies, or has outlived its usefulness.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 21 Sep 2015, 08:50

Living weapons get around the inherent downsides of equipment, that it frequently doesn't directly affect the board the turn you play it, and it's not a dead card on an empty board.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 26 Sep 2015, 07:35

Dumb combo that I heard about at the end of the JudgeCast BFZ Release Notes episode that I thought this thread should learn about:

Zada, Hedron Grinder (plus an assortment of other creatures)
Xenograft (naming Saproling)
Life and Limb
Then cast Part the Waterveil for its Awaken cost, targeting Zada. (Or, for less points, any of the other few spells that are untargeted except for Awaken.)
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 29 Sep 2015, 09:47

So my LGS has unexpectedly closed today with no warning. I'm really quite depressed about it. I now have no local home for magic, but more important I worry it's going to break apart a really strong and cool community that had developed over the last few months. It's been a safe space and a cool space and now it's just...gone. :(
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Sep 2015, 10:41

So... in this instance, maybe the thing to do is to go hang around the area the next time a game would've been scheduled (like FNM or something) and you might be able to catch the people who didn't happen to hear about it. By doing so, you might be able to get a big enough contingent of people to talk with each other and see if you can find an alternative.

Or, if you have any of these folks on social media, talk there.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 29 Sep 2015, 11:37

I think they're open the last Friday, so hopefully some word can be gotten out there. Most of our community and group knows, it's just the problem now is finding a venue that's affordable. A lot of our players are students who were really helped out by the fact the FNM was always free to offset travel costs.
Booster

Postby Booster » 01 Oct 2015, 11:35

I have a question for my fellow Canadian magic players here. With the dropping Canadian dollar, what do you think is a fair price for a Battle for Zendikar fat pack? I'm seeing everything from $45 to $65 online.
Booster

Postby Booster » 01 Oct 2015, 11:35

I have a question for my fellow Canadian magic players here. With the dropping Canadian dollar, what do you think is a fair price for a Battle for Zendikar fat pack? I'm seeing everything from $45 to $65 online.
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 01 Oct 2015, 12:27

I would just wait until the price drops back down to 30-40. I don't think it has anything to do with the Canadian Economy, its just demand for full art lands.
Booster

Postby Booster » 01 Oct 2015, 14:38

That's the thing though, the demand for full arts is definitely a huge factor, but the Canadian dollar has dropped a LOT over the summer, so that will drive the price up as well. So I don't know what price is appropriate to account for just the plummeting dollar. The only reason I'm looking to buy one this weekend is I want to do 2 person sealed with a friend of mine on Saturday, so if I'm picking up 12 packs, might as well get 9 from a FP if I can
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Oct 2015, 06:44

What's the draft structure going to be when Oath comes out? Oath-Battle-Battle? Oath-Oath-Battle? Something else? I can't seem to find this information online. Just wondering how drafting will go in the new paradigm of 2-set blocks.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 02 Oct 2015, 12:27

It's going to be Oath-Oath-Battle.
Booster

Postby Booster » 07 Oct 2015, 08:59

Was just cracking the packs from my Fat Pack and I opened 1 pack with 2 non foil rares, a March from the Tomb and a Cinder Glade. I don't know if there was an extra card in the pack cause I was sorting as I went, but I thought it was kinda weird to get 2 regular rares
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 07 Oct 2015, 22:43

Pulled a Foil Ulamog today.

So the only question is do I sell it now? Or hold onto it?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 Oct 2015, 22:49

I managed to go 3-1 with mono-cats in modern today. I didn't think it would actually work as well as it did. I only lost to, interestingly, fish.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 Oct 2015, 23:05

CrazyMax46 wrote:Pulled a Foil Ulamog today.

If you plan to sell, I'd sell now.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 07 Oct 2015, 23:37

Kapol: Huh, so I'm guessing dogs.dec didn't do well at all then. Also congratulations on actually sticking to mono cat, Knight of the Reliquary always seems to end up in my cat decks.

Booster: I didn't know that was possible...
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 08 Oct 2015, 00:17

JackSlack wrote:
CrazyMax46 wrote:Pulled a Foil Ulamog today.

If you plan to sell, I'd sell now.

I kinda thought that myself. I didn't think the price would go up but I wasn't quite sure.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 08 Oct 2015, 01:26

CrazyMax46 wrote:I kinda thought that myself. I didn't think the price would go up but I wasn't quite sure.

I could be wrong, of course, I'm no expert. But I don't see it becoming a constructed staple, y'know? People will want it now for their collections and then I see interest tapering off.
Booster

Postby Booster » 08 Oct 2015, 04:03

fantôme wrote:Booster: I didn't know that was possible...

Neither did I, I assume it was a mistake. I wish I hadn't been sorting, or had counted as I went so I would know if it was an extra card, or if it was a non foil when I should have gotten a foil (perhaps an expedition!), but I think the pack probably just had an extra card in it, somehow 2 rares got put in instead of one
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 09 Oct 2015, 13:47

GP Sydney is underway. I've counted two regular phases shirts and one Beej phases shirt.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”