Advice Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Advice Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Oct 2015, 12:23

A friend of mine worked in a call center.

His job was to sell a product to people. Then a guy come to their home and seal the deal. So, yeah your old job AlexAshman.

He had low turn over but a very high success rate overall. Highest customer gain. like 80%. Everyone else had 20%.

How?

He told the truth. Meaning customers weren't surprised when the sales person legally obligingly told them everything.

Other colleges would say anything to make a customer agree. But then all the lies would be revealed when a guy came round, thus killing the deal.
-
For me a good customer service person is a good person. Customers don't want to be lied to. Just because it's socially normal for the cashier remind you of the existence of chocolate in The Works or WHSmiths, doesn't mean customers want that.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Oct 2015, 12:41

AlexAshman wrote:TL;DR - not every morally gray job requires you to become like Gaius Baltar on New Caprica.
I don't know who that is...
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:For me a good customer service person is a good person. Customers don't want to be lied to.
And I'd be fine with that type of job, if I could get it.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 07 Oct 2015, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Oct 2015, 12:46

He was a (unwitting) traitor to the thirteen colonies depending if you watch original or new Battlestar Galatica. Collaborator with the Cylons. Had a cult following which became his harem.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
AlexAshman
First Video: Fear Itself

Postby AlexAshman » 07 Oct 2015, 13:01

What I mean is you can try to make a bad job good in some way. It's usually not as black and white as all that.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Oct 2015, 13:32

AdmiralMemo see your private message. I wrote a thing and realised it might not go down well, or derail the thread.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Oct 2015, 15:50

AlexAshman wrote:What I mean is you can try to make a bad job good in some way. It's usually not as black and white as all that.
Well, my brain doesn't think in grays, usually. I'm a very binary person.

AlexAshman
First Video: Fear Itself

Postby AlexAshman » 07 Oct 2015, 16:29

In that case, if this is the only current way to keep a roof over your head, get the job and do it well. You'll feel good for being technically proficient, and you can reassure your moral self that it's only a short term measure.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Oct 2015, 08:12

Computer hardware question time:

I'm using a Rosewill SATA/USB adapter to connect a 2 TB Western Digital hard drive to my computer. However, while the computer sees the Rosewill bridge, and it sees that there's a hard drive there, the drive does not show up on the computer as something I can use (like a K: drive or whatever). Advice? Do I need to format it or something?

What I'm trying to do is transfer all the data off my secondary drive (250 GB) onto this new drive, and then put the new drive inside the computer to replace the old one. Can anyone give me some tips on how to accomplish that? I'm great with software, but hardware is troublesome for me.

Edit: Thanks to qrpth, I found out the drive had no file system on it. Formatted it and it's working fine now. :-)

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Oct 2015, 12:28

I'm in need of a new gaming keyboard, and don't know which way to go. The top three ones I've seen so far are the Corsair K70, Razer BlackWidow, and Logitech G710+.

Anyone have suggestions or advice on which way to go, or any other options?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 15 Oct 2015, 07:36

Mother's day is comming up this sunday in Argentina and I need suggestions for a good present to give her. Help!
(She's very picky with clothes and I think we have a different taste so unless it's something generic I might not get her clothes. My sister is buying her a perfume so that's ruled out. Ideas?)
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Oct 2015, 08:32

viscomica wrote:Mother's day is comming up this sunday in Argentina and I need suggestions for a good present to give her. Help!
(She's very picky with clothes and I think we have a different taste so unless it's something generic I might not get her clothes. My sister is buying her a perfume so that's ruled out. Ideas?)

Grandchild.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Oct 2015, 11:17

Socks
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Oct 2015, 16:55

There's no way to solve a problem with someone who doesn't believe there's a problem, right? :-(

viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 19 Oct 2015, 19:33

Elomin Sha wrote:
viscomica wrote:Mother's day is comming up this sunday in Argentina and I need suggestions for a good present to give her. Help!

Grandchild.

Ehhh.... I don't think she's all too eager about that. She'd rather I graduated from law school once and for all.
I ended up buying her a blousse :D
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 26 Oct 2015, 17:34

Anyone in Montreal or from Montreal?
I am planning a family trip to the city this February (Arrive on the 13th, leave on the 17th), and I have no idea what to plan for us to do.
I do want to head over to Pointe-de-Cascades as there is a cool park I want to show them, but I have never done the tourist thing in the city. Also None of us speak French. I can read it a little though.

Thus I ask Help!?
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 01 Nov 2015, 13:28

(Posting this in a few places for more visibility.)

Does anyone know someone who is a parent or teacher of a deaf child/deaf children? I'd like to interview them for a paper for my Masters. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Nov 2015, 08:58

Alright, I decided to shut my computer down last night at about 10:30 PM. It said it wanted to do some updates. I was like OK. It went from update 1 through 15 pretty quick, then it sat on 15. I went to bed. I woke up, and it was still on 15. It is now 11:55 AM the next day and it's still processing Update 15 (of which I don't know what it is). I don't want to harm my computer, but I think it's frozen and I should hard reboot it. However, it says don't do that while it's updating, so I'm unsure. I don't hear the hard drive doing anything, so I am thinking it's at least semi-safe to turn it off. What do you think?

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 13 Nov 2015, 09:15

I can't speak for whether it's completely safe or not, but I have shut down computers mid-update before when they've frozen while updating without issue, and it definitely shouldn't take that long. If there's a problem afterwards, I would think it would likely be just a half-installed driver or something, which could hopefully be fixed with a restore point.

That said, I take no responsibility if it just makes your computer spontaneously combust or something. :P
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
CamelKnackRambleHort
First Video: Cursing

Postby CamelKnackRambleHort » 13 Nov 2015, 11:14

I speak with having 7 years professional IT experience, so that might count for something.

Your computer is stuck. You have no choice but to force a restart. It can cause damage, but generally speaking it wont. Modern operating systems are designed to minimize the kind of damage this sort of thing will cause. If it does cause damage your computer should have created a checkpoint you can revert to just before the updates were installed.
She/her please
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 15 Nov 2015, 14:42

So, I bought a PS3 (CECH 3001A) used from my nephew a few months back. It's great! I love it! I've never really had a console before, so I'm really liking catching up on all the games I've missed over the years.

Problem is...it Does. Not. Like to eject discs. I mean, I can manually eject the discs, fine, I have no trouble doing it. But I've been doing it an <i>awfully</i> lot lately. And sometimes it seems more recently it's started to get more reluctant to give up discs even when I've got the machine upside-down on my lap twirling a screwdriver and praying to whatever gods that be.

I...guess I'm not sure what I'm asking. Except...what the hell is going on with this thing? Google does not really turn up anything. If it was a motor burning out, wouldn't removing discs manually still work fine? (Not knowing how that motor actually works, I suppose.)

The other thing is that sometimes when the discs get <i>really</i> stubborn, they come out with smears on the optical side, some of which look like fingerprints, even if the disc was perfectly clean when inserting (I've started checking). My nephew swore that he never had any trouble with it, and that nothing ever got in the machine, but...it was in a house full of teenage boys and shit happens. So if, say, the insides of the disc drive were randomly covered in jam, what do I do now? I got frustrated enough to look up cracking it open and cleaning it out (I bought it for 50 bucks used, I have no warranty to worry about), but I don't have the right tools to even get the case open or any idea where to find them. Is there a...well, a <i>good</i> way to go about doing this?

TL;DR: My PS3 is acting weird and I don't know what to do and I don't want to pay $100 to Nintendo plus shipping to fix it for me. <3
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Nov 2015, 17:03

First off, if you are sending a Playstation to Nintendo and not Sony, you are doing it wrong.
160GB are usually very reliable compared to the 120GB. Disc eject issues can be down to a couple of things: dust inside, the drive on its way out, even just requiring a return to default or factory settings.
Honestly, where I work we usually suggest if yoi do not know what you are doing, do not do it. I recommend going to Sony or if your local game store knows of a really decent console repair store.
Shortround2099
First Video: Hot & Saucey

Postby Shortround2099 » 04 Dec 2015, 21:48

Hello, Apparently its been a while since anyone posted on this thread but I kinda need some advice or maybe just for someone to tell me it's okay.

After hearing about the wall of gratitude for the new moonbase and that your name will go up if you have donated $150 on the patreon, I said to myself I want to get on that. Also kinda kicking myself for donating for maybe a couple of months before canceling. (Well, had to because of finances. But everything is better now.)

Anyhow, that brings me today, when I just made a single donation of $150. After I had made it, the feeling of "uuhhh should I have just done that" crept on me. I can technically afford it, but the thoughts of "I should save that money" or "You have some trips coming up and that would have been some good spending money" or "It's Christmas times and you still need to finish some shopping" etc. But LoadingReadyRun has provided me with hours and hours of free content and even more hours of laughter. They taught me the basics of Magic and astounded me with the community they have created. And the wall is a one time thing.

So kinda just need some reassurance it's totally cool that you just spent some money to get your name on a wall and you are supporting some really good people.

Preemptive thank you to a wonderful community.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Dec 2015, 22:43

Everything you say is true. However, if you want to feel less bad, maybe take $150 and subtract how much you've donated before. Then, you'll still end up with $150 donated within their span and saved a bit.

hacofo
First Video: DB5 Stream

Postby hacofo » 05 Dec 2015, 01:37

I know that feeling, that is why i have a few patreaon subscriptions I should really cancel but i just feel guilty about still enjoying the content if i cancel it while being able to afford the "donation".

If it impairs you're financial well being in the long run with the upcoming trips, well you might want to pass up the place on the wall. (please don't ban me for that statement :p)

If you want the place and can afford it and it's just the pang of giving it all at once, the feeling will subside at the latest when you see your name up on the wall.

Admiral Memos idea also is a good one to just up the amount so you'll be pushed over the limit if you add it to your previous pledges.

Hope that helps a bit.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 30 Dec 2015, 12:45

I have a Wacom Bamboo Graphics Tablet Model CTH-460 and I have lost the pen.
I want to buy a new pen. How? I looked on Amazon.co.uk and Google and yielded 0 results. What can I do?

Return to “General Discussion”