TTC 106 - Mailbag Episode 4

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
James
LRR Crew

TTC 106 - Mailbag Episode 4

Postby James » 17 Oct 2015, 20:55

Alex, James and Cameron are with you for this weeks TTC and they're answering your Twitter questions

Support this show (and other things!): http://Patreon.com/loadingreadyrun
arias01
First Video: untap

Re: TTC 106 - Mailbag Episode 4

Postby arias01 » 18 Oct 2015, 06:00

That black space can be fixed. My avatar is a scaled down version. Here are two full sized above http://i.imgur.com/XgczHpb.png and below http://i.imgur.com/nF7LQGa.png .
Simply crop the video, or tilt the camera up and add a second overlay.
Dandinstorm12
First Video: Sonic and the Black Knight Unskippable

Postby Dandinstorm12 » 18 Oct 2015, 17:51

So, Ensoul didn't win the last PT, RDW did. Ensoul does get some play in Modern affinity, and Prophesies was all about whether or not all your lands were tapped. (i.e. utter trash.)
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 18 Oct 2015, 22:36

Prophecy had this whole theme of getting benefits for being tapped out. (Back in the days when you could get mana burned for doing so.) That, on its own, is pretty iffy, but what's even worse is the fact that the enablers had you sacrificing lands.

It's like:
Person A: "Let me teach you this new martial art I developed."
Person B: "Okay, I'm listening."
Person A: "It's all about powerful techniques you can perform while you're keeping low to the ground."
Person B: "So you have to stay crouched a lot? That doesn't seem like a good idea..."
Person A: "Actually, I was thinking I'd amputate your legs to facilitate your mastery of my martial art!"
Person B: "I'm leaving now."

The prospect of saccing land gets worse when you consider the fact that the two big mechanics of Masques block were Rebels/Mercenaries and Spellshapers, both of which are extremely mana hungry.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 20 Oct 2015, 02:04

Any chance you can take questions from the forum next time? I don't use twitter, but I have a lot of cool questions I would like to ask :)
BenMarc

Postby BenMarc » 20 Oct 2015, 12:26

Also, you guys have got to stop referring to human as a relevant creature type. It only mattered in Innistrad. Never before or since. That's one block. If you're gonna count human as relevant, then you need to count stuff like bird, beast, giant, and kavu as relevant, too.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 20 Oct 2015, 16:11

BenMarc wrote:Also, you guys have got to stop referring to human as a relevant creature type. It only mattered in Innistrad. Never before or since. That's one block. If you're gonna count human as relevant, then you need to count stuff like bird, beast, giant, and kavu as relevant, too.

This fellow disagrees
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Agent_Kilroy
First Video: Feed Dump

Postby Agent_Kilroy » 22 Oct 2015, 07:17

A way to make Disciple of Deceit usable, for Cam:

Freed from the Real + High Tide + Disciple of Deceit.

Also worth noting that Disciple basically gives all your nonland cards Transmute.
BenMarc

Postby BenMarc » 23 Oct 2015, 15:46

korvys wrote:This fellow disagrees

That's still not enough to make human relevant.
korvys

Postby korvys » 24 Oct 2015, 03:13

If "referenced by other cards" doesn't make something "relevant", then I'd be curious to know what your definition is.

keybase.io
UnarmedOracle
First Video: mosh pit etiquette

Postby UnarmedOracle » 25 Oct 2015, 08:22

Human is a relevant subtype to both Falkenrath Aristocrat and Champion of the Parish, which are Highlander staples.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 25 Oct 2015, 08:56

As Ben Marc said it mattered in Innistrad
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
UnarmedOracle

Postby UnarmedOracle » 25 Oct 2015, 10:18

Sure.

And because it was relevant in Innistrad, it is relevant in Highlander. Because artifacts were relevant in Mirrodin, they are relevant in Highlander. Because Fairies were relevant in Lorwyn, they are relevant in Highlander.

Just because there isn't a deck in standard right now doesn't mean that a type or subtype or archetype isn't relevant.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 25 Oct 2015, 10:39

Also from Theros, Cavalry Pegasus also cared about humans. Xathrid Necromancer also cares about humans.

I know that's only a couple of cards but that kind of gets in the way of the claim that they only mattered in Innistrad and "never before or since". Especially since some of the cards that cared about humans in Innistrad are still relevant in formats like Highlander.
korvys

Postby korvys » 25 Oct 2015, 18:40

Right. I mean, they're not Slivers, or Goblins, or even Wizards, but Human is a hell of a lot more relevant than say Scout, or Archer.

keybase.io
BenMarc

Postby BenMarc » 27 Oct 2015, 03:12

Sure, Theros and the core sets had a tiny sprinkling of human-matters cards, which I forgot about, but even archers got Greatbow Doyen, and I doubt any of you will argue that your average player gives a hoot whether any given creature counts as an archer. If less than 1% of a set's card pool cares about something, then I'd hardly call that thing "relevant" in the set. Enduring Ideal was in Saviors of Kamigawa; does that alone make enchantments relevant in that set?

My point was simply that the LRR crew is inconsistent in what creature types they label relevant. They've written off beasts and birds as not having relevant creature types, but if one block is all it takes to meet their threshold of relevancy, then they should start counting cards' interactions with the likes of Keeper of the Nine Gales, Wirewood Savage, Sunrise Sovereign, and Kavu Mauler amongst the cards' positives.

Consistency. That's all I want.
UnarmedOracle

Postby UnarmedOracle » 27 Oct 2015, 10:41

One block does not make a type, subtype, or archetype relevant. Having good cards that interact with them makes a type, subtype, or archetype relevant. Falkenrath Aristocrat, Xathrid Necromancer, and Champion of the Parish all interact with humans and are powerful cards within their strategies, making "human" a relevant subtype when sleeving up. Alex's current brew includes Falkenrath Aristocrat as a win condition so it's something he considers when evaluating cards.

We don't discuss birds and beasts as relevant subtypes not because we're lazy or inconsistent, but because, even within the situations where they have synergies, they're just not very good. Falkenrath Aristocrat can sacrifice creatures regardless of subtype to fuel synergistic Aristocrat strategies. She gets a bonus when those creatures are human. She is a game-winning engine that can occasionally get extra value off of certain cards. Keeper of the Nine Gales is a weak card that gives a handful of decent cards a function that is generally unrelated to what makes them good. I'm not including Keeper of the Nine Gales in a deck that runs Aven Mindcensor because Keeper is not a good card and when I want to bounce something I'll run a man-o'-war equivalent instead of tapping three evasive creatures that should be swinging in with a sword of fire and ice. I wouldn't play Kavu Mauler in a deck that runs Flametongue Kavu because if I wanted a 5/5 for 6 I'd run Shivan Dragon, and I'd never run Shivan Dragon.

Return to “TapTapConcede”