The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby CrazyMax46 » 09 Oct 2015, 23:56

I'm going to draft BFZ for the first time this weekend. Any tips?
ThePasserby
First Video: Mercenary Solutions

Postby ThePasserby » 10 Oct 2015, 15:29

CrazyMax46 wrote:I'm going to draft BFZ for the first time this weekend. Any tips?

Check up on archetypes and zone drafting.

Though when in doubt, grab cheap spawners and some big bombs to ramp into.

Also bone splinters, that works pretty well with spawners.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 16 Oct 2015, 11:06

Yes. I know the basics of drafting. I was asking for advice with the current meta. All that was a bunch of words that basically boiled down to "Shit I learned first day of playing Magic"

Just forget it.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Oct 2015, 13:04

Wow... Image much?

Meta varies from location to location, so that's hard to give advice on.

I personally wouldn't have been able to give you any advice until today, as I hadn't seen enough to go on until recently.

The format as a whole is not super-fast, but it does have a few fast decks to watch out for. You might want to be running 18 lands in these decks, as you want a large number of utility lands, and they most often enter tapped. Also, do not underestimate the power of Awakening a man-land. It just ends up as a perma-creature that has an activated ability to make it better.

There are a few deck types to look into that became common:

• Boros or Orzhov Allies, possibly with Green as a support color: These decks run fast. If you're not in these colors, prioritize early-game removal and high toughness creatures so they don't steamroll you before your deck can get going.
  • Gruul Landfall: This deck makes good use of the landfall buffs and the utility lands. It might splash White. Generally a mid-range deck.
  • Azorius Fliers: Your basic standard idea with this one, with lots of small evasive creatures to swarm.
  • Green + Support Color (typically Golgari or Gruul, but others exist) Eldrazi: This deck is about ramping up to the big Eldrazi with Scions and extra land drops.
  • Dimir Ingest: This deck has similarities to the Azorius Fliers, but it's slower. It's focused around ingesting some cards early-game, then using processors later for more powerful effects. This deck can stall the landfall or Eldrazi decks if it hits lands often, or can stall the Allies deck if it hits creatures often. However, while the ingest does essentially remove resources from your opponent's control, it highly variable, relying on the randomness of your opponent's deck. You could be removing key resources, or you could be drawing them into gas.
  • Five-Color Converge: This deck is very hard to pull together, but it can be powerful. It just WUBRGs its way into victory by having powerful-enough effects when it has domain.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 26 Oct 2015, 22:29

I made a legacy deck, would like some feedback.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legacy-reef-worm/
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 27 Oct 2015, 01:17

How competitive do you play, as i can't see this winning over any off the combo decks in legacy, it is just to slow with no interaction.
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Tacos_yay

Postby Tacos_yay » 27 Oct 2015, 08:50

Not competitively at all. If its not playable in legacy, I'll play it casually. In your opinion, is there anything I can do to make it legacy playable?
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 28 Oct 2015, 14:33

If by legacy playable you mean being able to win a match against the legacy decks i would expect in a tournament i can't see it unfortunately, it is just to slow.
I can't recall any cards costing more than 4 being played in legacy that don't win the game when played(Except cards being cheated out like in reanimater or in MUD)
Doubling Season is a five mana card that doesn't do anything when you play it.
You have no interaction like counterspells, discard or manadenial so combo decks ignore you and combo kill you turn 1,2 or 3.

If you really want to make a deck around doubling season and cards like Mitotic Slime, i would try to make it modern legal, sure it is still slower than a lot of decks in the format but it might steal some matches.

But if just want to play it casual an upgrade that cost almost nothing is Thornwood Falls instead of Simic Guildgate, they do the same thing except falls give you 1 life, and they cost like 5-10 cents
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Tacos_yay

Postby Tacos_yay » 28 Oct 2015, 21:28

If I change to modern I won't be able to play Reef Worm, and that's the whole point I built it. If the deck is such a lost cause, I'll just play it casually. At least I'll be able to put Sol Ring in....
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 01 Nov 2015, 05:13

Well, we'll be going back to Innistrad for Spring (NH) 2016. Also, Maro has stated that the general plan going forward, is for the blocks to be half returns and half new planes.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 02 Nov 2015, 15:00

Personal favorite thing about the Commander 2015 spoilers for today? A Kamigawa character being among the new legends.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 03 Nov 2015, 04:10

I'm really not seeing how Ezuri, Claw of Progress really fits the Simic colors. The only similarity I'm seeing is Evolve, but even then I don't really associate 2- power with GU.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 09 Nov 2015, 22:40

So it seems Oath of the Gatewatch is going to be, deliberately, the Two-Headed Giant set. How do we feel about this?
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 10 Nov 2015, 12:53

JackSlack wrote:So it seems Oath of the Gatewatch is going to be, deliberately, the Two-Headed Giant set. How do we feel about this?

I suppose I'll finally learn the tournament rules for 2HG rather than just my friend group's house rules.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 10 Nov 2015, 14:39

I kinda feel sorry for all the L1 judges out there who kinda skimmed over the 2HG parts of the test, and are now going to get thrown into judging 2HG FNMs... Some of the deep interactions in the 2HG rules are pretty weird.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 10 Nov 2015, 15:07

Like, it's fine to print cards that work better in 2HG, but basically forcing everyone to play 2HG seems pretty bad. I like 2HG Draft every now and then, but if it's the primary option, I may just skip Oath limited entirely after the prerelease.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 10 Nov 2015, 17:27

I've been severely uninterested in BFZ limited at the best of time. This just makes it worse.

Great.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 10 Nov 2015, 17:38

See, I'm kind of the reverse, Antitonic. I've loved BfZ draft, but I've still had to work up energy to do it because... well, it's kind of an empty money sink given how woeful BfZ constructed has been. You pay your money and wind up with just no cards you can do anything with. As such, I was planning to just more or less skip it.

But now? Shit, there is serious prospect of 2HG Draft FNM. I have never done this before. I wouldn't miss out on that chance!
Sharingandud
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Sharingandud » 13 Nov 2015, 11:57

I'm new to Magic and have recently bought a Dragons of Tarkir fatpack (because I love dragons). I opened up two of the Dragonlords, Kolaghan and Atarka, along with former Bearpuncher Surrak. Made an Atarka dragon red/green deck and was wondering what some of your guy's best packs were? (Also I don't want to come off as boastful, so please excuse me If I come off that way.)
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 13 Nov 2015, 19:46

At FRF pre-release, one of my packs had both a foil and a non-foil Yasova back-to-back. That and I've pulled 5 total Sarkhan Unbroken from FNM prize packs.

In other news, I just got back from spending time with my best friend. He was wanting the Boros Commander 2015 deck, but the card shop I usually go to was sold out of it, so we drove over to the one hew normally goes to - about 40 minutes away.

They had a copy, he got it and some sleeves, while I got a playmat tube container, then I began our match. He chose Gisela as the main commander, while my commander is Derevi - had a blast. Beat him by Commander damage, but it was very close. Arbiter of Knowledge helped him stem the bleeding while Gisela hit like a truck.

Really awesome to hang out with him, and playing a match of commander was really great.
I even got to get a copy of Sigarda for 9.50 (rather than the $14 mid price I've seen on amazon, tcgplayer, and starcitygames)!
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 14 Nov 2015, 00:45

Sharingandud: welcome to Magic, hope you've been having fun.

I've on a couple of occasions opened cards relevant to the games I won the pack from: Dwynen's Elite & foil Dwynen's Elite after drafting elves, Day's Undoing after very nearly losing to mill. There may also have been other more subtle examples that I didn't pick up on / currently don't recall. The gods of chance are not lacking in a sense of humour.
Sharingandud
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Sharingandud » 14 Nov 2015, 08:12

fantôme wrote:Sharingandud: welcome to Magic, hope you've been having fun.

I've on a couple of occasions opened cards relevant to the games I won the pack from: Dwynen's Elite & foil Dwynen's Elite after drafting elves, Day's Undoing after very nearly losing to mill. There may also have been other more subtle examples that I didn't pick up on / currently don't recall. The gods of chance are not lacking in a sense of humour.

Thank you, I really enjoyed my first real life draft at our shop, and look forward to my first commander game this Thursday. I'll be using the new black/green deck Plunder the Graves.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 20 Nov 2015, 02:46

Ah, Plunder the Graves, my favorite color combination doing my favorite thing (graveyard interaction). I'm hoping to pick up my own version today. You have very good taste, friend :)
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 23 Nov 2015, 03:06

Is it just me, or has there been an increase in salty opponents on MTGO? Near every opponent I've been paired with on the Legendary Cube single elimination queue has had the same "lucky, luck sack, blah de blah blah" shtick and it is really starting to detract me from using MTGO at all.

I am considering auto-replying all "luck sack" comments with this now:
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 04 Dec 2015, 02:00

Any of you guys have much experience with pauper? My LGS is doing a pauper FNM next week, it seems like a blast, but I've never played it. Any suggestions for fun decks/cards, or decks/cards to watch out for? At the moment I'm leaning towards running bogles: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-12-15-pauper-bogles/

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”