The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Paul » 05 Dec 2015, 09:12

We will be making a blog post about the "Load-Bearing Gratitude Wall" soon, but just to clear up some confusion, Your February Patreon contribution will count towards the $150. This means that if you have supported for $10 since December 2014, you will be right at $150 and will be included on the wall.

When we made this plan, we assumed that your total contributions to a patreon campaign would be easily viewable on your user page. It turns out that this is not the case :( but it is nothing a little javascript can't fix :D ! I have made a little bookmarklet that will automatically add up your contributions to all the patreon campaigns that you support. You can read more about it and get it from my blog: Patreon Pledge Totals
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 05 Dec 2015, 12:18

What if we contribute lets say $151 or maybe like $159 by February, do we get a nicer font or some glitter?

Asking for a friend.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Dec 2015, 16:29

$9 of gltter is glued onto your name (well, what ever is remaining after taxes).
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 06 Dec 2015, 00:23

Paul wrote:We will be making a blog post about the "Load-Bearing Gratitude Wall" soon, but just to clear up some confusion, Your February Patreon contribution will count towards the $150. This means that if you have supported for $10 since December 2014, you will be right at $150 and will be included on the wall.

OK, good, I was about to ask about that. Because that's what I've been telling everyone, but then I just watched the GPLP where this was sorta-announced, and Graham said "start of February" once, which would have made it one short...

If you've been a patron since the beginning, the 15th payment is the one for February, which is actually paid on 1 March. As long as that payment is included in the count, anyone who's been $10 from the start is in.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 06 Dec 2015, 01:32

phlip wrote: If you've been a patron since the beginning, the 15th payment is the one for February, which is actually paid on 1 March. As long as that payment is included in the count, anyone who's been $10 from the start is in.

Ya, The 1st of February vs in February thing is ripe for confusion (and we haven't been totally clear when talking about it), so we are just going count any pledges in February to make sure that no one is left out due to a misunderstanding.
Valliac
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Valliac » 06 Dec 2015, 11:07

Bluh. Should probably get some streaming done.

Also: Legend of dungeon: Masters is fun because you can wreck people's business while probably making them scream obscenities. It's great.

Except when you're on the receiving end of it...
"Also known as a 'Trigger-operated EVERYONE deterrent'."
Streaming at: http://www.twitch.tv/Valliac

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Dec 2015, 11:12

Trying to work out how much it would theoretically cost to courier my £1000 desktop PC to Spain.
But the way to find out is to set up hypothetical moving dates and get given quotes.
Or set up a time I would move and wait for bids to do the deed, which I may not be able to afford.

I want to know how realistic it would be for me to have my PC in Spain or not.
-
Will I then see that I can bring stuff with me as well. How much stuff?
-
Will I have to buy a car in the UK and drive it to Spain?
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Dec 2015, 15:53

Can you hire a car for the trip?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Dec 2015, 11:05

Might look at buying a Left drive car and drive down with my stuff.
-
Because this is too petty to put in the depression thread, I'll put this here.

I'm demoralised by seeing people's Christmas decorations.
My home is bare, and will only be decorated the night before Christmas because of how my parents are. It's silly of me to pressurise them to decorate early, especially since we use a real tree and it should not even exist in the house ever.

If I get especially demoralised by the lack of colour and light in my world (at the moment), I might start churning out origami Christmas decorations.
angryoptimist
First Video: The first I *remember* is Checkpoint.

Postby angryoptimist » 12 Dec 2015, 15:48

Today, I think I'm over whatever bug it was I caught. And I just yesterday called the upcoming JoJo's part 4 adaptation "the Diamond Is Not Crash anime" in a non-JoJo's-focused Internet community and got understood anyway.

Eh, I'm easy to please. It's the simple things. Life is good.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Dec 2015, 13:05

I want to hug my friend, and he's not here :(
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 14 Dec 2015, 12:09

I'm watching the new Star Wars this Wednesday :)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Dec 2015, 14:43

I think there are three types of people in the world. This comic describes two of them.

How We Look at the World - Click to Expand

There are those who understand the deep meanings in life. I feel people like Cam belong to this group. There are those who enjoy the world with a childlike glee. I feel people like Andy belong to this group. We need both of these groups.

Then, the third, special group are those who can do both. This group is rarer than the other two. I feel people like Alex belong to this group.

I am glad to share a community with all these types of people. :-)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Dec 2015, 03:56

Choosing between living in two countries with dubious political conditions.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Dec 2015, 23:27

I was about to post complaining about not understanding "Netflix and chill." And then I remembered Know Your Meme is a website. I think I understand it better now, but it seems like a very odd meme.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 17 Dec 2015, 08:45

I understood it much better when someone explained it to me as "This generation's version of 'do you want to come up for a coffee?'"
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 17 Dec 2015, 14:19

It's a pretext to get yourself and the object of your affections alone and inside together, with something to do so that it's not just awkward, but you both know that something is heavily implied... but ideally, no pressure if things don't work out.

That said, I've had two different people this week indicate to me that they misunderstood it simply to mean "to relax and watch Netflix".
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Dec 2015, 20:03

Yeah, that's what I had initially thought it was too. I had figured the whole 'and x looks at you like' was more sexual. But not the general sentiment. It had just made me feel like I'd missed the bus at some point.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 17 Dec 2015, 21:23

I know for a fact that if someone had every invited me inside for coffee, I would have told them I didn't like coffee, so I can't really look down on those missing the meaning behind this.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Dec 2015, 02:15

korvys wrote:I know for a fact that if someone had every invited me inside for coffee, I would have told them I didn't like coffee, so I can't really look down on those missing the meaning behind this.

I'd probably say "Only if it's not dirty water".
My taste of Spanish coffee has caused me to be elitist.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Dec 2015, 20:05

I feel... conflicted.

Baltimore just opened up their 911 emergency call system to public viewing.

On the one hand, I usually support transparency, because it fosters accountability. It's also good to know what's going on around you. On the other, with a date and time, a street location, and a general type of incident description... You could easily end up finding out things you never wanted to know. It would also fuel gossip hard. Most importantly, it could be a tool for criminals to know whether the police are onto them, particularly with things like "Silent Alarm" being listed.

What's everyone else think? Good step forward? Dangerous amount of data becoming public? Other thoughts?

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Dec 2015, 22:00

Isn't there a similar system in Florida, which is the cause of "Florida Man syndrome"? Gives news crews plenty a heads up on where to be, and offers plenty of fodder for filling time/space.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 27 Dec 2015, 23:40

I feel like that could really quickly open up a can of worms with calls for things like domestic abuse, especially if the abuser could then find out the other person called the police. That would be my biggest worry with that kind of system, I think.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Dec 2015, 09:39

Yeah. Anonymized statistics on the numbers and types of calls in different parts of the city are one thing, and something that probably should be public information. But knowledge of every individual 911 call - there is no reason I can think of for that to be public information.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Dec 2015, 13:20

Maybe the idea was along the lines of "Baltimore is so crime-ridden anyway... This could hardly make it worse..."

I don't know...

I mean, I've seen people be horrified when I tell them that we typically have over 300 murders per year in Baltimore, but I rarely think about it. It's just how life is here. It's "normal."

It's weird living here, I guess, compared to other places. I mean, there's plenty of good people, good culture, good food, lots of history... And yet the crime is bad, the government is corrupt to the core, the economy sucks... *shrugs*

People around here put William Donald Schaefer on a pedestal as a fine example of what a Baltimore mayor and a Maryland governor should be... and he was just as corrupt as the rest of them. The key difference is that he used that corruption to actually get things done. Corruption that improved the economy. Corruption that built houses and businesses. Corruption that made Baltimore better.

And maybe that's the key: our standards are so low that any nominal improvement seems awesome in comparison to what we've had before.

Return to “General Discussion”