PAX South

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

PAX South

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Sep 2015, 22:12

Pax South tickets now on sale

January 29-31st in San Antonio
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Re: PAX South

Postby ecocd » 17 Sep 2015, 05:30

Wife and I will be there! We hope some peoples from LRR will be there, too. We've only ever met Morgan in person so it would be cool to get to shake some hands. We started following LRR at Desert Bus 2 so it's been a long time coming.

We're relocating to the Dallas area and it's only a 5 hour drive to San Antonio so we figured, why not? We've never been to a PAX before so we're really looking forward to it.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
nicholasmc1
First Video: The Job

Postby nicholasmc1 » 14 Nov 2015, 07:49

I'll be there running a booth if anyone wants to swing by for hugs, Screencheat or Pinny Arcade Pins.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 04 Dec 2015, 04:32

Reviving this thread just to see if anyone else will be there.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Dec 2015, 11:14

We will absolutely be there and we still have a empty room at the hyatt attached to the convention center. Its going to be super cheep if you want to stay with us.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 17 Dec 2015, 10:57

For those of you that missed it on twitter, Graham, James, Cam and Alex will be at PAX South. Woo!

https://twitter.com/loadingreadyrun/sta ... 9634935809
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Dec 2015, 10:57

If you ask Alex or Cameron very very nicely for a hug. They will gladly offer you a affectionate head nod or if the mood strikes them a handshake.

If you ask James for a hug, he will laugh and say... well no I dont think... and then hug you.

If you ask Graham for a hug, he will likely give you one if he isnt too busy.

If you ask Kathleen for a hug, you will get nothing because kathleen isnt going whats wrong with you, they said she wouldnt be there why do you think she could give you a hug from Victoria while you are in texas COME ON PEOPLE!

[–]Graham_LRR
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 27 Dec 2015, 09:35

Who is taking care of the Hosklings if the Lord and Lady are coming to San Antonio?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Jan 2016, 18:45

The big one is taking care of the small ones. We are leaving them in the bathroom with like 4 boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk, they will be fine!

My parents again.

[–]Graham_LRR
wondermoo
First Video: desert bus 5

Postby wondermoo » 05 Jan 2016, 19:05

So, I won a pair of weekend passes to Pax South from the Take This Stream, and I would like to give the other one away. Does anybody know of someone who has been looking for a pass? I would really like it to be someone from the community or community adjacent.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Jan 2016, 07:44

maybe contact andrew ferguson/click click I took a pick or Jordan/rayfk

need someplace to stay?

[–]Graham_LRR
wondermoo

Postby wondermoo » 09 Jan 2016, 15:51

oops
Last edited by wondermoo on 09 Jan 2016, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
wondermoo

Postby wondermoo » 09 Jan 2016, 15:53

Never mind, just saw on your earlier post....when would you be getting in and what would you be asking?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jan 2016, 18:27

Sorry I missed your messages I havent been around.

It would be $300 for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night with check out Monday morning.

We are arriving Thursday afternoon.

[–]Graham_LRR
wondermoo

Postby wondermoo » 16 Jan 2016, 19:26

thanks for the offer, Hosk. I was able to find lodging at an amazing discount with my plane ticket. Hopefully you find someone :)
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 26 Jan 2016, 07:01

Any LRR meetup this week/weekend? My wife and I should be getting in Thursday night. While a little chilly at night, the weather during the day will be gorgeous.

I know they have panel. It seems likely they'll have a booth/table too. Seeing the LRR folks will be the highlight of the weekend. Having a chance to hang out on the Riverwalk outside of the expo would be pretty awesome.
Dedwrekka
First Video: That one with Graham in it.

Postby Dedwrekka » 26 Jan 2016, 13:41

Their booth is a table in "Band Land". Which is almost right after you get into the convention center. First is the concert area, then the concession area, then Band Land, and only after that do you hit an area where you need passes.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 26 Jan 2016, 15:14

Thanks Dedwrekka!

Anyone free Saturday night? I looked at the schedule and while the concerts sound fun, I will happily forego them in favor of hanging out with LRR fans and wheedle Graham et al to make an appearance.

I've never been to San Antonio, PAX (anywhere) or a LRR Meetup (anywhere). Any ideas for a place to hang out? Outside the expo center? Inside the expo center? Would it just be the Hosks and the eco's?
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 26 Jan 2016, 17:46

I only see one Panel on Friday. Is LRR doing any more panels or just the one?
Also will they still be there on Sunday? It was the only day i could get a ticket for.

Postby ecocd » 27 Jan 2016, 09:11

Formal LRR Panel, there's only the Friday one. It looks like Graham and Alex are scheduled to be on the "PA & Friends Play Drawful" Panel on Sunday (11 am local) so they'll not only be there on Sunday, you'll probably get to see them performing!
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 27 Jan 2016, 15:45

Are any of the Panels with LRR being streamed?
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 28 Jan 2016, 11:22

The Drawful event on Sunday is in the main theater so it's likely to be livestreamed. The LRR panel is unlikely to be streamed. They usually record their panels and put them up ... sometime.
bookdevourer96
First Video: Untap

Postby bookdevourer96 » 29 Jan 2016, 11:09

I really want to see the "Scared Yet: A Discussion of Horror Games" event that Alex will be part of. Does anyone know if it will be streamed or recorded and uploaded somewhere?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Feb 2016, 10:33

The LRR Panel was amazing, you will all enjoy the video that comes out of it.

While we were happy that we went down to South, there were some problems specifically related to the con itself. Most of our fun came outside the hall.

I found the convention itself to be very very sparse, as one enforcer put it Pax south is "Islands of Chaos in a sea of empty space" Much like Texas itself everything was very well spread out but noticeably too much so but then where there was a booth or a stand it was wedged into a corner.

Bandland for example, was a row of 8 tables all one next to each other, at either end of which was 15-20 feet of empty space if you put a 2-3 foot gap between the tables, or even added an extra 4 tables each "band" could have had an extra half table of space and it would still have easily fit in the space provided.

The gaming area had all the tables set up in a standard convention format where if you have two people sitting back to back with each other you couldnt really walk between tables. Yet outside the table area was a vast space of open concrete. Add a extra foot between tables and you make everything more comfortable using the same space.

It was similar to this all over the expo, there was just so much inefficiently used space. Queue lines set up on top of gameing platforms, The Diversity lounge had tables and beanbags set up for a "safe space to hang out" there was a empty room next door which had the "room dividers" set up to block access. Open that up and move the tables so people arent climbing over each other to see a booth.

panel programming also seemed light, it was nice that we didn't have any conflicts but there were also long stretches were we said "sooo ahhh, what are we doing for a few hours"

That being said, the people were amazing! The enforcers were on point, the vendors were extremely helpful, the diversity lounge personnel were open and directing people to each others booths. The Bands and artists were a lot of fun to chat with. We ended up doing a conspiracy fan draft with, ummm Cameron, myself, Dix, "the ocean who subbed", Metalupis, guy who brought the cards, and guy in Beej's parody Upturn & shirt and other guy who was in the other pod.

We got to hang out with a bunch of the PA people, Metaloupis, Jchinnock, TravelersKeep and Steve, Mikey, Gearbox enforcer guy, Andrew from Riot, Kriswil01 and Josh, Dabe and Kris, the Marriot river-somthing Lobby and THEBAR was the place to be for fun and fellowship (and booze) When the Expo hall closed at 6 they didnt have to push people out they had already left.

I would absolutely go back but unless we hear about some bigger names coming we probably wouldn't actually buy passes. The scalpers were selling one days for $20 and three days for $50 on Saturday because people were not even willing to pay face value. It didn't sell out Friday or Sunday and Saturday "sold out" a week before hand but will call still had some Saturday passes for sale as late as Friday morning.

Notable presenses that were not there, Gearbox, Mojang, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Wizards, EA, Popcap, Razor, Activision, Riot and Valve, Bandi, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Bioware, Blizard, Epic which is particularly noteworthy because Cliffy B was the Keynote speaker and Paragon about to launch, Firaxis had a X-com2 panel but nothing on the show floor.

The most prominent sections were Twitch, and Grey Box Games Dreadnaught.

There are over 100 game studios large and small in Texas alone. If a company cant be bothered to send 6 people in a couple of cars to set up a booth from Austin to support their game or device. Why should I bother coming down from Michigan, why should people Travel from out of the US?

[–]Graham_LRR
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 02 Feb 2016, 15:44

This was the first time meeting LRR so that was cool. Turns out they're normal people. Alex was tired like any Nirmal PAX attendee, Cam was exactly as nice, patient and well-spoken as on camera, and Graham was 100% ON all the time for all the fans with a constant positive vibe. It felt like they got some good traffic at their booth,to boot. The panel was okay, but the Write a Crapshot kind of got out of hand. Q&A is always hit or miss.

A lot of Lord Hosk's criticisms were apparently exactly the same criticisms last year. Why not just have it in Austin which is easier to get to and in the backyard of many developers? It's probably simply a matter of cost of venue.

I do think there should be room for other kinds of cons/expos. One of the recent ish criticisms of PAX East and West (as its officially called, I guess) is that they're just for the giant developers now. The indies get stuck in whatever corners that are leftover. There were indies *everywhere* at PAX South. Unfortunately, they were all inexplicably crammed together, but the point is that they actually got attention.

I'll admit that I didn't feel like I got my money's worth out of it without those marquee names though and relatively sparse programming. Tickets were ridiculous for the content and the hotels were similarly ridiculous.

The timing of PAX South right now is awful for major partners. CES removes any big hardware news or demos. PAX East gobbles up any gaming demos or news. PAX South sits in a calendar Bermuda Triangle that may never get any major attention unless it moves to Houston.

If they continue to put on PAX South in San Antonio or another smaller market (Oklahoma City?), I think it's always going to be the smaller, indie-focused odd duck. I think if they make that a real focus, and find a smaller, cheaper cost-of-living location, they could have something people will enjoy.

Return to “General Discussion”