Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby korvys » 11 Dec 2015, 22:00

Populate tokens will not have to be exiled. The reason for the difference is that it's not the tokens that are exiling them selves, it's Seance. And it's not Parallel lives that made the extra tokens, it let Seance make more tokens, under the same conditionas. Whatever card is Populating creates a new token, without conditions.

Seconds part: Pretty much. Exile instead of sac, but Seance has nothing to say about the spirit tokens.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 29 Dec 2015, 17:56

If I cast Commune with Lava, then before the end of the next turn Day's Undoing - does the Undoing's "end of turn effects end" just entirely stop Commune's time limit from triggering, and the exiled cards remain playable indefinitely?
korvys

Postby korvys » 29 Dec 2015, 19:09

No such luck. "Until end of turn" things like Commune With Lava, or Giant Growth, etc, end during the cleanup step. Day's Undoing skips straight to the cleanup step, which still happens.

keybase.io
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 30 Dec 2015, 00:52

Oh well, thank you for your reply.

Yeah seems like the key thing here is that Commune with Lava says "end of turn" rather than "end step", apparently the end step isn't at the end of the turn.
korvys

Postby korvys » 30 Dec 2015, 01:59

Older cards will say things like "At end of turn...", but this has changed to "At the beginning of the end step..."

keybase.io
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 30 Dec 2015, 03:01

The key difference is between a triggered ability, that says when something happens (usually "at the beginning of the end step"), and a duration, that says when something stops happening (usually "until the end of turn").

Sometimes it can be unobvious what will be a continuous effect with a duration, and what will be a one-shot effect with a trigger that changes it back... but that's what you have to look for.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 02 Jan 2016, 15:48

unnaturally ending the turn is always strange i was playing commander and an opponent had a consecrated sphinx and cast a day's undoing thanks to ending the turn the sphinx triggers get exiled from the stack?
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 02 Jan 2016, 16:30

Technically they don't even get a chance to go onto the stack, but the effect is the same, those triggers aren't resolving.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 21 Jan 2016, 08:35

How does Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet interact with cards like Zulaport Cutthroat? Does exiling the dying creatures negates the trigger so that the Cutthroat doesn't drain, or does the draining happen regardless of if they go to the graveyard or exile zone?
The Martini
First Video: Installing Linux

Postby The Martini » 21 Jan 2016, 09:42

Not A Judge answer (but I was also interested in a similar question so I looked it up) - 'When a creature dies' happens when a creature goes to the graveyard. Kalitas replaces going to the graveyard with exiling, so things like Zulaport Cutthroat won't trigger.
Gin. Vermouth. Olives.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 21 Jan 2016, 09:48

Exactly. "Dies" is short form for "is put into the graveyard from the battlefield", and instead of going to the graveyard, the creature is exiled and the trigger never occurs.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Jan 2016, 13:41

If you have out 3 of any combination of Dream Chisels and/or Obscuring Æthers out, can you just throw down Morphs for free?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys

Postby korvys » 23 Jan 2016, 14:29

Correct. Unless there is something that also increases the cost, like Sphere of Resistance.

keybase.io
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 24 Jan 2016, 09:57

Can someone explain me the issue with targeting Wandering Fumarole with things like Lightning Bolt? It seems to me I could just change it back to being a 1/4 in response to the targeting, but apparently I am wrong somehow?
korvys

Postby korvys » 24 Jan 2016, 12:09

Well, it depends how it happens. If you swap it, and they do nothing, and then later they bolt it, you can indeed swap it back to save it.

However, if you activate the ability, and they bolt it in response, you won't be able to save it. Here's why

You activate the ability. It's still a 1/4, and the ability is on the stack.
They bolt it. It's a 1/4, the ability is on the stack, bolt on top of that.
If you do nothing, the bolt happens, and it's a 1/4 with 3 damage on it, and the ability is still on the stack.
The ability resolves. It's a 4/1 with 3 damage on it and dies.

If you respond to the bolt, then the stack is the ability on the bottom, the bolt, and the ability on the top.
The ability resolves and it's a 4/1. The bolt resolves and it's a 4/1 with 3 damage on it and dies.

Basically, if they bolt in response, then no matter how many times you swap it now, there will be a point where it's a 4/1 with 3 damage on it and it will die.

keybase.io
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 24 Jan 2016, 12:46

That's a really interesting (and useful to know) interaction, thankyou korvys for the concise explanation.
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 24 Jan 2016, 15:25

can the mana made my cultivator drone be used to flip a morph or manifest face up
korvys

Postby korvys » 24 Jan 2016, 16:09

Maybe, but probably not how you're thinking.

Cultivator Drone's mana can be used for 3 things:
1. Casting a colorless spell
2. Activating an ability of a colorless permanent
3. Paying a cost with {c} in it

Flipping over a morph is not playing a spell, so 1. is out.

While face down cards are indeed colorless, both morph and manifest are not activated abilities (flipping up a morph or manifest is a special action that has a cost), so 2. is out as well.

But 3. might be able to be used. If a card is every printed with a morph cost with {c} in it, you could pay for that. And more relevantly for right now, if you manifest a card with {c} in the cost, you can use the mana to pay for the manifest cost. But not for most morphs and manifests.

TL;DR: Only if {c} is in the morph cost or manifest cost.

keybase.io
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 24 Jan 2016, 17:30

Say I have Hypersonic Dragon out on the field in a multiplayer game. Opponent 2 swings at Opponent 3 with 5 creatures, and Opponent 3 blocks all of them with 5 creatures. I play Cultural Exchange after blockers but before damage, and exchange there creatures. Do those creatures fall out of combat? Or does something interesting happen?
korvys

Postby korvys » 24 Jan 2016, 18:23

They fall out of combat.

506.4. A permanent is removed from combat if it leaves the battlefield, if its controller changes, if it phases out, if an effect specifically removes it from combat, if it's a planeswalker that's being attacked and stops being a planeswalker, or if it's an attacking or blocking creature that regenerates (see rule 701.12) or stops being a creature. A creature that's removed from combat stops being an attacking, blocking, blocked, and/or unblocked creature. A planeswalker that's removed from combat stops being attacked.

keybase.io
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 30 Jan 2016, 12:44

How do Zada and modal spells work. For example, say I target Zada with Brutal Expulsion and I have five other creatures. Do I get to choose the targets for the new Expulsions, and do I get to pick both modes on the copies?
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 30 Jan 2016, 14:04

If I recall correctly, you have to only target Zada with the first spell, and then that instance of the spell, where you already picked the modes, is what's copied. I'm not a judge, though.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
korvys

Postby korvys » 30 Jan 2016, 17:39

Zada Gatherer Rulings:
8/25/2015: The ability triggers whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell that targets only Zada and no other object or player.
8/25/2015: If you cast an instant or sorcery spell that has multiple targets, but it’s targeting only Zada with all of them, Zada’s ability will trigger. The copies will similarly each be targeting only one of your other creatures. You can’t change any of the copy’s targets to other creatures.
8/25/2015: Any creature you control that couldn’t be targeted by the original spell (due to shroud, protection abilities, targeting restrictions, or any other reason) is just ignored by Zada’s ability.
8/25/2015: You control all the copies. You choose the order the copies are put onto the stack. The original spell will be on the stack beneath those copies and will resolve last.
8/25/2015: The copies that the ability creates are created on the stack, so they’re not cast. Abilities that trigger when a player casts a spell (like Zada’s ability itself) won’t trigger.
8/25/2015: If the spell that’s copied is modal (that is, it says “Choose one —” or the like), the copies will have the same mode. You can’t choose a different one.
8/25/2015: If the spell that’s copied has an X whose value was determined as it was cast (like Rolling Thunder does), the copies have the same value of X.
8/25/2015: The controller of a copy can’t choose to pay any alternative or additional costs for the copy. However, effects based on any alternative or additional costs that were paid for the original spell are copied as though those same costs were paid for the copy.

keybase.io
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 28 Feb 2016, 07:26

If I activate Zedruu in response to his trigger and give my opponent something, making X equal 1, how much would I gain? Or does her trigger not go off if no opponent controls something I don't own?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
korvys

Postby korvys » 28 Feb 2016, 12:42

You will gain 1. Zedruu's triggered ability counts the number of permanents when it resolves, and will still trigger if there are none.

keybase.io

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”