The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Jenelmo » 06 Dec 2015, 02:50

I don't play pauper as much anymore but this are the decks i would expect:http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#online
But this is online pauper
Do you know what pauper format they are using, as there are cards that are common in paper but not online, and some the other way round
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 06 Dec 2015, 12:37

It's paper/legacy. Thanks for the link, that's a really useful resource. Okay, so I should expect Delvers somewhat - move the Spider Umbra to mainboard?
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 11 Dec 2015, 14:09

Update: well that verily was a useful page, gave me a good idea of what to expect, and I went 4-0 - yay Bogles!
ThePasserby
First Video: Mercenary Solutions

Postby ThePasserby » 17 Dec 2015, 01:35

Right, had a flat tire on the freeway and as I waited for a service truck, I got the idea to convert my G-Wave Nyxthos deck into a Tooth and Nail deck.

I am going to run this mono green devotion ramp frame, 42 cards in total.

And I am going to run 4 of Tooth and Nail and Emerkul and Xenagos.

That leaves me twelve spaces for...I guess. Value?

Anyone have any opinions on what I should change, slot in or out or think about?

Like some thoughts are appreciated, and I did see Channel Fireball's primer, but I was wondering if there were other ideas.

Tooth and Nail Combo: 6 Cards
4x Tooth and Nail
1x Emerkul
1x Xenagos, God of Revels

The Frame: 42 Cards

21 Lands
7x Forests
4x Wooded Foothills
2x Windswept Heaths
2x Kessig Wolf Run
2x Stomping Ground
4x Shrine to Nyx

4 Enchantments/Artifacts
4x Utopia Sprawl

4 Planewalkers
4x Garruk Wildspeaker

5 Instants/Sorceries
2x Primal Command
3x Genesis Wave

22 Creatures
4x Arbor Elves
2x Birds of Paradise
4x Burning Tree Emissary
4x Eternal Witness
4x Courser of Kruphix
3x Primeval Titan
1x Crater Hoof Behemoth
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 16 Jan 2016, 04:51

Cloud of Fairies got banned in Pauper! *fist pump*

Oh, and some modern stuff...
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 16 Jan 2016, 10:12

Oh, and some modern stuff...

Its a pretty big upset for some people. I think most people expected or at least suspected that Bloom would go, but Twin really blindsided people. I was reading some of the response articles from around the web, and some of them are...not flattering to WOTC. The one from Modern Nexus reads like he wants to start a revolution.

Also, can we stop stapling 'Gate' to the end of every slightest controversy? ProxyGATE, LeakGATE, now TwinGATE. Its starting to really annoy me.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 16 Jan 2016, 11:57

I understand why they banned splinter twin and the banning doesn't bother me at all. But the thing that surprises me is banning twin after just reprinting it in MM2015. It seems weird to ban a card they just reprinted less than a year ago.
Goblin_Ski_Patrol
First Video: Unskippable: The Darkness

Postby Goblin_Ski_Patrol » 16 Jan 2016, 20:53

Booster wrote:I understand why they banned splinter twin and the banning doesn't bother me at all. But the thing that surprises me is banning twin after just reprinting it in MM2015. It seems weird to ban a card they just reprinted less than a year ago.

I honestly don't understand why twin was banned. It policed the format and kept Affinity and infect in check, it didn't violate the turn 4 rule, and didn't possess a disproportionate hold on the meta game (its results were not that much different than Pod in the years prior the one that finally got it banned). If they wanted to talk about it hurting the format because they can't print or unban anything good for blue as long as Twin is around, I would have bought into that. But killing archetype diversity? I don't buy that any of the decks mentioned stand up in the modern metagame.
ThePasserby

Postby ThePasserby » 22 Jan 2016, 02:39

I read a article somewhere that someone thought WOTC was doing it for monetary reasons, that Modern is not profitable unless they do ban a deck every once in a while so people will be incentivized to buy more cards. You guys think that is the case?
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 22 Jan 2016, 03:16

No not really, as most modern players don't buy boosters they buy single cards from sets, mostly not in print, something WOTC does not make money on.

One of the reasons i understand from reading tweets from people working in WOTC had said is it is because of the Pro Tour, and that a Pro(motional) Tour needs to shake up the format to make it interesting, this was one of the reasons that they original removed the Modern Protour until public outcry made them reinstate it.
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
ThePasserby

Postby ThePasserby » 22 Jan 2016, 20:05

Right. Update from the above deck list. Got a couple of Blood Moons from Chronicles for 30 a piece, they in good condition. No idea how to effectively use them though.

Let's see, I think this deck list won't screw me if I board in a couple of Blood Moon...or do I have too many non-basics in there?

Like I am afraid that I might screw myself if I board in Blood Moon.

My basic idea, is in case I need to mess with their lands, I will board in Choke, 2 Blood Moons, and a Crumble to Dust and board out a Garruk, a Eternal Witness, and a Courser. That leaves me enough enchantments and land untappers to continue to abuse my lands, though that leaves me vulnerable to their boarded in land disruption.

Should I have the Overgrowths in the sideboard with the Void Winnower and Rhuic Thar in the Main along with a third thing? So when I board in Blood Moon they will think I have goozled myself?

If I need to counter against counters, and one Boseiju is not enough, I will bring in Vexing Shusher for a Satyr, and take out the Birds for the Guttural Responses.

If I need to have some Token hate, or deal with their bomb, I prey I draw into my Beast Within or Bonfire in time. Same with my two of Crypts.

If they have stuff that I can't interact with, but want to punish them for, I will board in the Spellskites, Void Winnower, and Rhuic depending on what I need. Void Winnower and Rhuic both will punish them for board wipes. Either they have a 5 mana board wipe and take 6 damage regardless, or they take 6 removing Void Winnower and then another 6 to cast the board wipe...though I am unsure what to board out for those two.

What do you guys think, this logic sound?

Wincons:
Kessig+Lots of Mana+Creature
Garruk Ultimate+Mana Dorks+Flunge
Craterhoof+Mana Dorks+Flunge
Tooth and Nail Combo, Swing for 30 and Annihilator 6
Green Stuff
Combination of above

Tooth and Nail Combo: 5 Cards
3x Tooth and Nail
1x Emerkul
1x Xenagos, God of Revels

The Frame: 55 Cards

21 Lands
6x Forest
1x Mountain
4x Wooded Foothill
2x Windswept Heath
2x Kessig Wolf Run
1x Stomping Ground
1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
4x Shrine to Nyx

7 Enchantments/Artifacts
4x Utopia Sprawl
3x Overgrowth

3 Planewalkers
3x Garruk Wildspeaker

4 Instants/Sorceries
2x Primal Command
2x Harmonize

20 Creatures
4x Arbor Elves
2x Birds of Paradise
3x Voyaging Satyr
4x Eternal Witness
3x Courser of Kruphix
3x Primeval Titan
1x Crater Hoof Behemoth

Sideboard:
Counter-Counter Spells: 3
1x Vexing Shusher
2x Gutteral Response

Land Hate: 4
2x Blood Moon
1x Choke
1x Crumble to Dust

Graveyard Hate: 2
2x Tormod's Crypt

Removal: 2
1x Beast Within
1x Bonfire of the Damned/Fall of the Titans(Undecided)

Utility Creatures: 4
2x Spellskite
1x Rhuic Thar, Unbowed
1x Void Winnower
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 24 Jan 2016, 09:50

So I played a 6 boosters of Oath sealed event with four players yesterday, and it was pretty interesting. It was my first time playing with Oath in any capacity, and I enjoyed it. It was actually pretty fast, which is not how I think actual limited with it will be. It feels like BFZ would make the format worse in the way that Fate Reforged or Born of the Gods did to the triple Theros and triple Khans formats. It looks like you'll get a lot of solid cards from oath, the hope to open a bomb in BFZ. If the format were Oath Battle Battle, I think it'd be like a possible stronger triple battle, whereas Oath Oath battle might feel like a weak version of triple Oath. The sets feel very different in draft archetypes. A lot of the non-eldrazi draft decks are different. Like Cohort is a very different mechanic from Rally. I don't think they work together at all.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 24 Jan 2016, 21:09

RadioshackRaider wrote:Like Cohort is a very different mechanic from Rally. I don't think they work together at all.

I think cohort is actually just bad. At least in limited. Between 3 prereleases, a draft and another sealed event today, I haven't seen a single person use cohort. I'm not exaggerating, I have seen 0 players activate a cohort ability, I don't think Ive even seen anyone play a creature with cohort on it, but I'm less sure of that.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 24 Jan 2016, 21:33

Booster wrote:
RadioshackRaider wrote:Like Cohort is a very different mechanic from Rally. I don't think they work together at all.

I think cohort is actually just bad. At least in limited. Between 3 prereleases, a draft and another sealed event today, I haven't seen a single person use cohort. I'm not exaggerating, I have seen 0 players activate a cohort ability, I don't think Ive even seen anyone play a creature with cohort on it, but I'm less sure of that.

I definitely used Cohort abilities at the prerelease. They can be powerful, but you really need a density of Allies to make them worthwhile.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 25 Jan 2016, 08:31

Booster wrote:

Thing is, I think Cohort is only good in limited. I don't like the mechanic much, purely because it's a defensive mechanic whereas Rally is aggressive. I think that when it happens in limited, it'll happen well. There's only one Cohort card that might get into my Ally commander deck, and that's Munda's Vanguard.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 25 Jan 2016, 13:50

I got a fair amount of Cohort cards out of my fat pack, and all I could think of when I saw them was "why would I ever use this ability?" Maybe if you have a lot of Kor Ally tokens floating around?
ThePasserby

Postby ThePasserby » 25 Jan 2016, 15:48

Aeralis wrote:I got a fair amount of Cohort cards out of my fat pack, and all I could think of when I saw them was "why would I ever use this ability?" Maybe if you have a lot of Kor Ally tokens floating around?

Well, from my own understanding, Cohort is a mechanics that is less actively aggressive than say, Rally which triggers more easily. You have to tap two creatures, both needs to be allies, and you need to be aware of your blocks and the board situation.

Personally, I don't see it being a really big thing in a constructed format, unless you really try to build around the concept. I agree it is a mostly for Limited.

Though, to answer your question, the time when you use it would be if you have no other way to win. It is just a path to victory, one of many...probably not the best, or most efficient, but it is a mechanic.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 26 Jan 2016, 01:02

Don't forget you can do it at instant speed. So as long as you have the Cohort creature untapped, you can use it and an Ally played on your last turn at end of their turn without really losing any momentum. I will agree however that most of the Cohort cards are just too weak outside of limited.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

CamelKnackRambleHort
First Video: Cursing

Postby CamelKnackRambleHort » 26 Jan 2016, 15:01

Lets take a random example of cohort to demonstrate how it might be used. In this case, the first card with cohort on Gatherer: Akoum Flameseeker, which has Cohort draw a card then discard a card.

So when why would you use this particular ability?

You use this ability to improve your hand quality. You are gaining card quality at the cost of tapping two creatures. Seems like a steep price, and it is IF you don't do it right.

So when and how do you use this to maximum effect?

First, not during your turn. You should use it right before your turn. This leaves the creatures untapped to block or attack or whatever else you might need them to do until the last possible moment.

Think of it this way: some turns attacking is a bad idea. On those turns Akoum Flameseeker is just going to sit and do nothing, and it is likely that another one of your allies is also going to be sitting around doing nothing. This is a way to get a bit of value off of having them on the board. That little bit of advantage over many turns can swing a game to your favor.

More powerful cohort effects might be worth planning for specifically, there are straight card draw and token creation powers for example, but I rarely play standard so I don't know how it would shake out there. If you are playing casual or limited they can be very powerful.

Edit: got it the wrong way around, it is discard a card then draw a card. Significantly less powerful, but still often very useful.
She/her please
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 27 Jan 2016, 09:25

So, I just got to thinking:

Why was this not printed in OGW?

Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 27 Jan 2016, 14:18

I had a big post that started out by extolling the virtues of Cohort in the black/white life drain deck, but what it evolved into was simply an evaluation of how I felt the Cohort cards all contribute to breaking up board stalls. At first glance, I didn't really care for the mechanic, but looking at it further, I think I see a deck I want to build that focuses on it. No idea if it'll be competitive, but suffice to say I think it will be fun.

Each of the Cohort abilities has its use, and as has been pointed out, they're all instant speed abilities. If you can't attack, defend, then activate at the end of your opponent's turn - and please don't forget to use Vampire Envoy. I'm pretty sure no one can argue that it wasn't designed to help enhance Cohort.

Edit: I think I want to build an Esper-coloured Inspired/Cohort Commander deck running Conspiracy and Xenograft. Maybe I'll throw in Hivestone and Artificial Evolution as well. Hmm...
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 29 Jan 2016, 07:09

" Let's not forget the other inaugual members of the Gatewatch: Those 9 random druids, 7 random ghouls, 4 random lieges, 3 random mages, and 1 random scholar. As well as a random elf in an ancient wood."

This is from Maro's blog, talking about how alpha counterspell looks like a guy got barred from the gatewatch. Can anyone help me identify these cards? I'm really intrigued.

Edit: NM, it's talking about the old spells "Oath of druids" and stuff like that, NM
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 03 Feb 2016, 10:29

So I biult a budget highlander deck. Can someone who knows more than i do about competitive play give me some pointers about it?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-01-16-rats-rats-rats/
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 06 Feb 2016, 10:50

Apparently some SOI cards got spoiled on eBay?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Feb 2016, 06:48

The leaked cards revealed some of the big new mechanics. But there wasn't really huge mythic leak. It was basically just a pack. Though the uncommon green card seemed really strong to me.

As another thought, I really like when you mulligan correctly and your deck rewards you. I played in an event last night. Out of the ten games I played, I mulliganed to five at least three times, and to six at least twice. I ended up winning all of them besides one of the greedy six card hands. One of the mulligan to fives even let me drop a turn three Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”