Have you heard what youtube is apparently doing?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Have you heard what youtube is apparently doing?

Postby Booster » 29 Jan 2016, 08:02

The Nostalgia Critic just put up this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC3NIdiZF_E

Explaining that about a month ago, YouTube disabled a bunch of their features, including monetization, and has ignored their requests for explanation or appeal. His is a fairly large channel of 350K subscribers, so if it can happen to him, is anyone safe?

Just wanted to put the word out about what is happening, so any creators here (LRR included) know whats happening, and know to be extra careful.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Re: Have you heard what youtube is apparently doing?

Postby Ptangmatik » 29 Jan 2016, 09:36

Follow up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFlgx2LTdeY

Crying out loud Google, get your poop together.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jan 2016, 10:07

I have a concern that a passer by sees:

Doing profession and official routes for resolving issues is ineffective.
Posting ranting video about it gets results.

Therefore, publicly complain and make a scene to resolve stuff.
Not an attitude YouTube should be encouraging by being shit with the whole customer service thing.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jan 2016, 10:07

I have a concern that a passer by sees:

Doing profession and official routes for resolving issues is ineffective.
Posting ranting video about it gets results.

Therefore, publicly complain and make a scene to resolve stuff.
Not an attitude YouTube should be encouraging by being shit with the whole customer service thing.
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 29 Jan 2016, 19:30

There should be a public alternative to Youtube.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 30 Jan 2016, 12:31

Youtube Classic.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 30 Jan 2016, 14:16

A bit of blame miss-direct here.
Google/Youtube is responsible for the lack of communication, and should be held accountable for that. Ditto for any broken form or technical issue at their end.

However - they don't get to decide whats "fair use". They are not the ones to blame there. They have to implement ContentID as it is in order to avoid being sued. It means they have "safe harbor" protection legally.

The appeals process likewise - Google doesn't decide anything. That form you fill in gets sent to Disney/BBC/Viacom/Sony/Whoever. Those groups then decide if its fair use or not. (Ive gone though this process many,many times).

As Doug proposes, there needs to be penalties for false copyright claims.
But I really doht think Google themselves could do that legally as the law stands.

And, unfortunately, as big as Google seems I dont quite think they match the legally/lobbying might of the "Big 6" media corps at the moment.

==

oh, that said, YouTube certainly could do with some competition.
DailyMotion seems the only one even vaguely in the same ballpark since Disney killed Blip.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
rakslice
First Video: Probably some Checkpoint or other

Postby rakslice » 31 Jan 2016, 14:01

Unlike the Hutts, Google doesn't invest in frills like droids that pop out through a hatch in the door to interrogate those who stop by (you know, "customer service").
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Feb 2016, 06:08

Yeah, I put it in the "YouTube" thread earlier, because that's where I thought it was supposed to go?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Feb 2016, 07:56

Darkflame wrote:A bit of blame miss-direct here.
Google/Youtube is responsible for the lack of communication, and should be held accountable for that. Ditto for any broken form or technical issue at their end.

However - they don't get to decide whats "fair use". They are not the ones to blame there. They have to implement ContentID as it is in order to avoid being sued. It means they have "safe harbor" protection legally.

The appeals process likewise - Google doesn't decide anything. That form you fill in gets sent to Disney/BBC/Viacom/Sony/Whoever. Those groups then decide if its fair use or not. (Ive gone though this process many,many times).

As Doug proposes, there needs to be penalties for false copyright claims.
But I really doht think Google themselves could do that legally as the law stands.

And, unfortunately, as big as Google seems I dont quite think they match the legally/lobbying might of the "Big 6" media corps at the moment.

==

oh, that said, YouTube certainly could do with some competition.
DailyMotion seems the only one even vaguely in the same ballpark since Disney killed Blip.

^This; it's yet another example of the HAS-ALWAYS-BEEN-IMMORAL 'Guilty-Until-Proven-Innocent' Digital Millennium Copyright Act saying "F*** your traditions and overall tenets of your justice system; we're going to throw the baby out with the bathwater".

Google & YouTube are just likely unwilling accomplices to this abrogation of moral and ethical governance; as stated they HAVE to play by these bullying rules or THEY end up right alongside the end-users in the "AccusedGuilty" prisoner box.

It's the RIAA & MPAA members and their "here's some free work from a construction company to build that pool for your family, senator - I'm sure you agree that it's the right thing to vote on that bill the way WE want you to" bribemasterslobbyists that are perverting the American tradition of law and justice to suit their avaricious & corpulently greedy desires.

Yes, even the legislators are gulls and shills in this; they're just doing whatever they're persuaded to do.

...so we have to figure out how to persuade them stronger than billionaire & trillionaire corporations; no big! /Kappa

Pessimistically, I'm figuring it's going to take a horrifying and devastating fundamental 'reset' to the entirety of civilisation and society to free us of this exhibit of the Law of Unintended Consequences, like a pandemic, environmental disaster or bloody uprising/revolution coming to pass and decimating the world population, which would interrupt (or even shatter) current existing societal systems and allow such change...again, no biggie...

So until then? Get used to good people getting ground up in the gears of a reprehensible system that benefits few, inconveniences the vast majority and then takes random sacrifices from time to time. vOv
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 01 Feb 2016, 10:38

AdmiralMemo wrote:Yeah, I put it in the "YouTube" thread earlier, because that's where I thought it was supposed to go?

I didn't think of that, you are probably right Memo, that is the place for it. Apologies for poor forum etiquette
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Feb 2016, 12:43

It's OK. After seeing it blow up like this, with more videos and more exposure. it's probably a big enough subject to warrant its own thread. :-)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “General Discussion”