Sorceror

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Sorceror

Postby Atifexe » 20 Feb 2016, 14:10

Sorceror is a format described in this article on making your own MtG format, and personally, I find it really intriguing. It's basically a 61-card version of Commander where you get a Sorcery spell instead of a creature as your Commander, and you're limited to a maximum of 5 creature cards in your deck. I'm currently looking at cards and trying to determine what sort of a deck I want to build to try it out. Has anyone else had their interest piqued by this concept?
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: Sorceror

Postby fantôme » 20 Feb 2016, 14:36

I'm always a fan of trying out new formats, however my old phone can't handle Google docs - any chance I can get a brief rules rundown here?
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 20 Feb 2016, 14:38

Google Document wrote:TL;DR Rules

- 61 card Singleton (60 card deck + 1 sigil) no more than 5 creatures per deck (including spellcache)

- 20 life, 1v1, best 2 out of 3, no sideboarding (see spellcache below)

-Instead of a Commander, you have a Sigil, your signature spell. You can cast it repeatedly by adding 2 to its CMC per additional cast beyond the first. The Sigil determines color identity of the cards in your deck.

- You get a spellcache, a “sideboard” of 10 cards that is only used by cards that grab spells from outside the game (wishes, etc). You may also pay the current CMC of your Sigil during your draw step to replace a draw from your deck with a draw from the spellcache. After each such draw, shuffle your spellcache.

- Sigils always go back to the Sigil Zone when cast (non-optional), meaning they never hit the grave, return to hand, etc.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 20 Feb 2016, 14:40

Much obliged!
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 20 Feb 2016, 16:28

As a format, this would either be really fun or really not fun. I can just imagine how busted Monastery Mentor and other prowess creatures would be in this format. Jeskai just seems like the clear choice for it. I'd try it, but I think there's a reason I've only just heard of it.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 20 Feb 2016, 17:29

Aside from the fact that the article suggesting it was published a mere three days ago? =P

If you were to build a Jeskai deck, what would be your Sigil? Your options appear to be limited to Last Stand, Conflux, and Coalition Victory.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 20 Feb 2016, 23:52

I like the idea, but I feel like it's not as graceful of an execution as Commander is. Sounds like it could get real wonky real fast.
jadamelio
First Video: The Cookie

Postby jadamelio » 21 Feb 2016, 00:06

I think this is cute but the banned list could get huge. Wizard's never considered always having access to any spells when designing them. While this format seems great for my favourite card, Epic Experiment, I think this format would devolve into spikey combos or a blue mage tea party.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”