Sidewalk Slam - Fastlane 2016 & RAW

Discussion of our pro wrestling pod/vidcast Sidewalk Slam, and pro wrestling in general.
Graham
Super Moderator

Sidewalk Slam - Fastlane 2016 & RAW

Postby Graham » 03 Mar 2016, 13:59

Graham & Adam talk through Fastlane 2016 and the episodes of RAW that bookended it. Stories developing at a glacial pace can't stop their excitement for a big surprise!

Support Sidewalk Slam (and other things!): http://Patreon.com/loadingreadyrun
kimiyoribaka
First Video: Unskippable -- that sonic game

Re: Sidewalk Slam - Fastlane 2016 & RAW

Postby kimiyoribaka » 03 Mar 2016, 16:45

Regarding the use of blood during matches, did they just not have convincing enough fake blood back then? Having them cut themselves in any way seems like a major liability, so it surprises me that the business side would've allowed it.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 03 Mar 2016, 17:13

I totally bought the fake blood when I first saw it. Subsequently I saw a lot of discussion about it and kind of felt a bit disappointed. A little bit like I was annoyed at myself because I should have known better, and a little upset that the "magic" of the moment was lost in hindsight. But, what can you do? Them's the breaks, I suppose.
DennyR
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DennyR » 03 Mar 2016, 17:13

Well it was a very sort of an "old school" thing, it was the way it was usually done back then so it was almost tradition. The move towards PG was a big part of the blading being cut out, but there was also a fairly serious incident in a match between Undertaker and Orton about 10-12 years ago where Orton's dad bladed. The dad, who has hepatitis. It was a dangerous thing to have happen, and one of the backstage guys knew about it to boot.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 03 Mar 2016, 18:47

kimiyoribaka wrote:Regarding the use of blood during matches, did they just not have convincing enough fake blood back then?

If you don't have an announcer passing you a blood pack, you have to hide the blood somewhere else. Inside of your body is a pretty convenient place for that.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
DennyR
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DennyR » 04 Mar 2016, 04:08

Just watching now, about half way in. Couldn't agree more about Naomi, she needs to drop things like the Rear View. It was fine when she was part of the Funkadactyls, because there was no way to take the valets of someone who was hailed from "Planet Funk" seriously, but when you're trying to be a tough heel character it's just weird. She's really athletic, it can't be hard to give her something better.

Tangential to that, it's been confirmed that Charlotte, Becky, and Sasha will face each other in a triple threat at Wrestlemania, which I am absolutely ecstatic about. I really hope they get the time they deserve for that match.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 04 Mar 2016, 04:35

Shane has always been a baby face. And i don't mean that in the wrestling terminology. I mean he looks like he's about 15 years younger than he is. I remember when he started he looked like a teenager even though he was about 30.
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 04 Mar 2016, 19:27

Something about the US and IC championships you said.

I liked when Brock was champ. Not overexposing the champion made it feel important. When you were fighting for a chance to fight Brock, it was a big deal. Facing the champion was something that seldom happened so you better make your shot count (no one did haha).

Then it also valued the IC and US titles like you mentioned as they became the "ladders to success" they were back in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember Macho Man losing the WWF championship and going for the IC to "get his grove back". Bret also used the IC championship to elevate himself and others to great effect.
There was still shades of that when Rollins got hurt, where the booking was very correct in having the 2 champions compete until the semi-finals.

What are your thoughts on oversaturating the screen with the WWE Champion?
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 05 Mar 2016, 02:53

I love how Adam always opens the show with a "Hi!" that makes you feel like you just walked into the room and he is really happy to see you.

Also, stop being so infectiously enthusiastic. I don't have time to watch wrestling. :P
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 05 Mar 2016, 13:05

I really like how your able to look at and talk about some of the "problems" and odd choice in the wrestling show while remaining overall possitive through out the show, just so great!
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
counterjockey
First Video: How to be a Son of a Bitch

Postby counterjockey » 06 Mar 2016, 18:35

Anyone else get the strange sensation that someone is listening at WWE? Not someone in complete control, but with enough pull to pull things towards logic? (I would almost swear they are going to do what Graham talked about and make a non-heel Authority.)
If there's time to clean, there's time to lean.

Return to “Sidewalk Slam”