Anyone up for some tech support?!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Anyone up for some tech support?!

Postby Aeralis » 07 Mar 2016, 14:11

Sorry if this is off-discussion, but I'm having such a weird issue that I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting or finger-pointing. I'm hoping somebody here would have an idea.

So for the past couple days I've been having weird internet connectivity problems. This computer simply won't play nice with many big-name sites. I can get Google to load and work sometimes, but anything Yahoo related won't load at all, leaving me to use Bing for any searching I need to do. (Which works completely fine.) YouTube will load more often than not, but simply won't play any videos. I can't even load up Comcast's website! However, most all other websites I regularly go to work completely fine, unless Google is in a mood and that site has some sort of Google presence. (The LRR mainpage is a good example. I can get it to work fine normally, but yesterday it halted loading because it got hung up on some sort of Google utility.) General internet usage is completely unhindered, I can even play Final Fantasy XIV with no hiccups at all, it's just these big-name services.

Any other computer on this internet connection works fine, it seems to be limited just to this computer. Any other browsers I try have the same problems. (I haven't tried Chrome because it seems to have been misplaced since I used it last, and trying to download it again gave me a 4 hour estimate. Because Google.) The only changes made to my computer since has been a Windows 10 update a little while back, but I'm not hearing any news of other people having problems with the update.

Anybody have any ideas on what I can try? Could it be a problem with my computer, or my internet, or something else? I'm at a complete loss.
Kronopticon
First Video: Phailhaus

Re: Anyone up for some tech support?!

Postby Kronopticon » 07 Mar 2016, 14:42

Well to rule things out, I'm gonna assume you've done some Virus/Spyware/Adware scans and such? beyond that ensuring you've got the most up to date plugins in the browser along with clearing cookies etc. And see if there are any more available Win10 updates in the meantime.

Failing that, get another computer to download chrome or some other browser such as firefox (which im a personal fan of) and use an external drive to transfer it over and install that and see if it works. Perhaps try another network with the computer, perhaps by tethering it to a phone. Too see if your computer is disagreeing with the network itself...

Good luck! :)
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Mar 2016, 17:25

An issue I'm having at the moment: I've contracted some sort of malware that every so often no matter where I click on the site it opens an add site link. It also infested Chrome (I use FF mostly). No matter how may deletions of both programs and anti virus scans I do it doesn't fix it.
This happened before and I fixed it, but cannot remember how.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 08 Mar 2016, 04:07

Only way I'd ever fix malware issue is to fresh install the OS and put everything you know as clean back onto it. Try Malwarebytes for a good scanner program to scan periodically (I do around weekly while I take a nap).

As for being able to visit some pages some of the time and not specific ones, I'd try pinging the sites you can't from DOS command prompt both to see the speed of the pings and to get the sites' ip addresses to test in the browser...which you won't need to test if pinging totally fails (100% packet loss) cause no ping means the browser won't get the packets either. If you can get to them by ip address but not by the domain names you might be able to fix it with a winsock reset or a flushdns in the command line. It's been a while since I did or recommended it so I'm fuzzy on how it would be done in Windows 10.
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Mar 2016, 07:22

For malware removal (and general computer cleaning), I recommend this guide. It's aimed at people who get recruited into fixing family computers over the holidays, so if you're not comfortable with some of the steps, feel free to skip them.

Besides Malwarebytes (which is a must have - even if you're just manually running the free version), that guide also turned me on to "AdwCleaner", which helped me clear out a couple tenacious infections that nothing else I tried could get.

For securing your computer going forward, that site has this (still in-development) guide. While the guide is still in the early stages, it has some good advice and steps to prevent malware getting a hold of you in the future.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Aeralis

Postby Aeralis » 08 Mar 2016, 12:45

I tried tinkering around with some other stuff to no avail, but didn't have time to do any thorough scrubbing until just now. I'm doing a deep virus scan and then will move onto my malware scanner. Nothing popping up so far.

And of course everything's running fine now. Just went and got caught up on Checkpoint and Feed Dump with not a single hiccup. Still, I'll be doing cleaning and keeping an eye out for more shenanigans.
Kronopticon
First Video: Phailhaus

Postby Kronopticon » 09 Mar 2016, 01:55

Just thought I'd add about a program called spybot search and destroy. Most comprehensive malware/spyware scanner I've found. Not a virus scanner. But also keeps an eye on your registry and such :)
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Mar 2016, 14:20

Malwarebytes seems to have eradicated the issue. One downside, if I try and use Photoshop it catches the .dll file and deletes it automatically so I can't use it unless I copy the *cough*crack*cough* .dll from my external HDD.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Aeralis

Postby Aeralis » 09 Mar 2016, 14:20

I've used Spybot for years. I love it so much I make sure to reinstall it every time Windows 10 updates and deletes it.

But as for an update... Everything's suddenly fine. After like three days of issues everything is just... fine. How incredibly odd.

Return to “General Discussion”