TTC 121 - Shadows Over Innistrad Spoilers Part 2

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
Graham
Super Moderator

TTC 121 - Shadows Over Innistrad Spoilers Part 2

Postby Graham » 12 Mar 2016, 14:56

Shadows Over Innistrad spoiler season continues! Join Alex, Graham and Cameron as they look at what the set has to offer thus far.
SultaiReclaimer
First Video: Unskipable

Re: TTC 121 - Shadows Over Innistrad Spoilers Part 2

Postby SultaiReclaimer » 12 Mar 2016, 16:07

In response to Cam's comment about the evolution of Gothic Horror into Cosmic Horror:
Genre evolution with a focus on Horror, Science Fiction, and Cosmic Horror is my area of research I am attempting to get a PHD in. There are a number of references and articles I could pull about the transition of Gothic Horror into Cosmic Horror. If you guys so desire. Another interesting aspect I believe Cam and Alex would enjoy discussion/reading is the current iterative evolution of the Cosmic Horror genre as revealed in current games and media such as Bloodborne.

All this to say, SoI is hitting my horror strings hard and hearing you guys babble about genre conventions is my jam. Love all the stuff you guys do. Keep it up.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 12 Mar 2016, 19:02

I really like the Avacynian Missionaries. There whole " You just wouldn't listen, FINE, get in the bag" is just the best.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 12 Mar 2016, 19:53

Pet peeve of mine, Eldrazi don't have genders.

The idea of a Cthulhu esque horror is the unknowable. The more identifiable qualities you give them the less unknowable they become. So something familiar to us like gender makes them more understandable and thus goes against the idea of them.

This is why looking at Cthulhu drives people insane because it's form is uncomprehendable by our minds.

And I know the people of Zendikar assigned genders to the gods they thought the trapped Eldrazi were. But I don't know why you'd think they were correct. I mean they weren't correct about the nature of the Eldrazi why would they be correct about their gender.
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 12 Mar 2016, 20:06

Graham is exactly wrong while being technically correct in his statement about Samurai and Ninjas - all 37 actual Samurai (so not counting Changlings or Mistform Ultimus, which are the reasons he's not just stone incorrect) have Bushido, and all 10 actual Ninjas have Ninjutsu (only 8 of those originally came from Kamigawa, 2 were from Planechase, one you brought up on stream and the other 'would be' the go to choice for a ninja tribal deck EDH general if there weren't only 10). As tribes go, they're not the biggest around.
Last edited by Gildan_Bladeborn on 14 Mar 2016, 21:12, edited 2 times in total.
UnarmedOracle
First Video: mosh pit etiquette

Postby UnarmedOracle » 12 Mar 2016, 22:09

SultaiReclaimer wrote:In response to Cam's comment about the evolution of Gothic Horror into Cosmic Horror:
Genre evolution with a focus on Horror, Science Fiction, and Cosmic Horror is my area of research I am attempting to get a PHD in. There are a number of references and articles I could pull about the transition of Gothic Horror into Cosmic Horror. If you guys so desire. Another interesting aspect I believe Cam and Alex would enjoy discussion/reading is the current iterative evolution of the Cosmic Horror genre as revealed in current games and media such as Bloodborne.

All this to say, SoI is hitting my horror strings hard and hearing you guys babble about genre conventions is my jam. Love all the stuff you guys do. Keep it up.

I would love to read any references you could provide on evolution and iteration of gothic horror into cosmic horror. yes pls.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 14 Mar 2016, 12:53

It would be interesting if it's Emrakul influence is what's jamming/corrupting Avacyn's programming.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 21 Mar 2016, 17:04

I loooove the fan flavour theory that Geralf's Masterpiece is undead Griselbrand. No idea if it's true or not, but it's cool.

I'd also like to see Geralf and Gisa get new cards; they showed up in Commander 2014 but I don't think those are all that playable outside of multiplayer formats.
It's fish in a tin!

Return to “TapTapConcede”