Sidewalk Slam Ep04 - RAWs & Roadblock

Discussion of our pro wrestling pod/vidcast Sidewalk Slam, and pro wrestling in general.
Graham
Super Moderator

Sidewalk Slam Ep04 - RAWs & Roadblock

Postby Graham » 23 Mar 2016, 10:31

Graham & Adam take you through March covering three episodes of Monday Night RAW, with a Roadblock in between.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Re: Sidewalk Slam Ep04 - RAWs & Roadblock

Postby Eric the Orange » 23 Mar 2016, 13:38

For me what really interests me about the Shane taker match is how it will go down. Because I think they want to keep Shane a face so he can't win by cheating shenanigans. And Undertaker is the biggest badass in the company cept Brock so I can't see business man Shane beating him clean. And it seems the more interesting way to go story line wise that Shane gets RAW. So hes going to have to somehow beat Taker clean. I have a few ideas and none of them really work.

1. Shane wins heel. Boring. In with the new boss, same as the old boss.

2. Shane out wrestles Taker. Unbelievable. Shane has been a non wrestling Corporate CEO for like 10 years. For him to come back and just beat the second biggest guy in the industry in his best arena doesn't make sense.

3. Shane loses. And I guess Shane just leaves then. What reason story line wise can they use to keep him around after that. He doesn't have RAW, he doesn't have his blackmail on Vince, why let him back in the building.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 23 Mar 2016, 14:38

There seemed to be a couple of spots where the sounds oddly cut out for me, one of them is at 2:00:11 to 2:00:18, any one else having that or is this a sound problem on my side? There was one early in the episode but I didn't catch it's time stampe.
Other than that the episode was an absolute pleasure.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
mithras
First Video: friday nights i think

Postby mithras » 24 Mar 2016, 06:44

Bray Wyatt hurt his back. That is why they changed his match at Road Block.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 24 Mar 2016, 07:39

theycallmejokke wrote:There seemed to be a couple of spots where the sounds oddly cut out for me, one of them is at 2:00:11 to 2:00:18, any one else having that or is this a sound problem on my side? There was one early in the episode but I didn't catch it's time stampe.

It looks like that's the parts where Graham lets the clip speak for itself (Brie Mode, and Roman Reigns), and either the clip audio didn't export properly or it got muted for copyright. At a guess, at least.
winterpanda
First Video: Duty Calls

Postby winterpanda » 24 Mar 2016, 15:29

Antitonic wrote:
theycallmejokke wrote:There seemed to be a couple of spots where the sounds oddly cut out for me, one of them is at 2:00:11 to 2:00:18, any one else having that or is this a sound problem on my side? There was one early in the episode but I didn't catch it's time stampe.

It looks like that's the parts where Graham lets the clip speak for itself (Brie Mode, and Roman Reigns), and either the clip audio didn't export properly or it got muted for copyright. At a guess, at least.

It was also the same for the audio only version.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 26 Mar 2016, 22:26

This sounds more dismissive than I intend, but pro wrestling sounds like a sports soap opera. It's a long running show with sometimes contrived plot lines, and no ultimate resolution in sight. It also sounds really awesome for those that can get into it.

You guys have really sold me on Dean Ambrose. He seems like a great character, and I've really enjoyed following him through your commentary.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Mar 2016, 10:44

Yes, I've heard wrestling described as a "men's soap opera" before. There's a lot of overlap in the genres.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 27 Mar 2016, 11:10

Well, more or less. I have some obvious issues with calling it a "men's" soap opera, but it's not the first time I've heard the comparison made. There's remarkable overlap.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Mar 2016, 11:52

Oh clearly. I'm just reporting the term I heard used, not saying it's the best, or even good.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 29 Mar 2016, 18:41

I'd suspect there's another comparison to be made with superhero comics (and also between superhero comics and soap operas, although that's another topic). Consider: each primarily concerns a bunch of larger than life figures, in variously odd choices of costume, most of whom have some sort of unusual gimmick to them and spend most of their time getting into violent altercations with each other - typically along fairly clear black-and-white morality lines - with plotlines that start getting a bit weird if you stop to think about them :P

Return to “Sidewalk Slam”