Feed Dump 252 - BUT WHY LISTEN TO MAN???

News, with silly hats.
ihorner
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Feed Dump 252 - BUT WHY LISTEN TO MAN???

Postby ihorner » 13 May 2016, 07:14

Can you hear me now? Can you race just anything? Can I get another beer? Just three of the hard hitting questions we ask on this week's Feed Dump.
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Re: Feed Dump 252 - BUT WHY LISTEN TO MAN???

Postby BenMarc » 13 May 2016, 22:14

I think I know why the flight attendants didn't serve that guy beer. It's not because they were out, they just realized that he was already an unbearable asshat sober, so they didn't want to find out how much worse he would be drunk.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
MinuteWalt
First Video: Prince of Persia (2008)

Postby MinuteWalt » 15 May 2016, 21:51

I first saw "Lawnmower Racing" on the news as a *Canadian* sport. It was funny, because it was the late 80's/early 90's, and seeing silly things on your local news channel that involved another English-speaking country was like broadcast gold. "Those silly Canadians have nothing serious to do!"

Years later, this was a thing in the US. Mostly with jobless rednecks who had time on their hands and woefully underappreciated skill sets. You'd see it referred to sometimes online, including photos of builds (even before pimped-out PCs at LAN parties), but it was still just a joke.

Apparently the shit has gotten real in the last two decades. Is this what happens when the US steals a sport from Canada? Did we go and pull an "it was OK, but you just made it weird?"
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 May 2016, 00:47

Yeah, lawnmower racing is serious business. The courses are generally fields with hay bales marking the boundaries, and racing them is more like racing quad bikes- all about weight distribution, drifting around corners, all that good stuff. The lawnmowers themselves are essentially souped-up ride along machines, with motorbike engines, differentials and improved suspension tacked on. I can confirm it has a serious following in the UK, and there is an ongoing war between an English and US lawnmower racer for the speed record, which stands just south of 100mph- Top Gear attempted to break it a few years back by building a lawnmower that they tried to get to hit 130mph. I don't know if they ever succeeded in this, but they definitely topped 100mph. This is a controversial build, because the cutting mechanism (which is literally just a wire stretched underneath the chassis) is removed for the speed run for safety reasons.

Essentially, lawnmower racing is awesome.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
MinuteWalt
First Video: Prince of Persia (2008)

Postby MinuteWalt » 22 May 2016, 04:18

It's so niche you see a lot of experimentation, uniqueness, and awesomeness you don't see in the really well established motor racing sports, which seem to get all same-y at a certain level.

One of my favorite things to do is go to our closest redneck/motorhead raceway on the weird nights, when they have odd amateur duels (the Cadillac vs. the Corvette was my favorite) or outlandish things like school bus races.

Lawnmower racing seems to still have some of that Wild Wild West feel of anything goes.

Return to “Feed Dump”