G&K in Japan

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

G&K in Japan

Postby RoboNixon » 10 Jun 2016, 15:46

So I wanted to post this, don't know if any LRR people will see it (but where better TO see it :P). I'm really enjoying the Graham and Kathleen in Japan videos. I was fortunate to spend a semester there back in 2006 and really, really, really want to go back. The dichotomy between the beautiful landscapes/temples and the busy cities is truly amazing. If you love Japan or travel in general, this is really nice series they've posted to Youtube. Keep up the good work!
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: G&K in Japan

Postby Robo4900 » 11 Jun 2016, 13:21

Yeah, I've always wanted to go there(It's at the top of my "Place to go" list), but the opportunity hasn't come up yet. But, watching Graham and Kathleen enjoying the place and talking about the cool stuff you can do there is great.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
RoboNixon

Postby RoboNixon » 11 Jun 2016, 19:05

A lot of their tips are actually super useful, like buying a temp. router, phrase book and rail pass before hand. Tokyo is very western, so almost all the signs are subtitled in English, but can be more trouble the farther out you go.

My tip: If you are flying from the east coast, take a stop over on the west coast. I spent 18 hours from Atlanta to Narita next the bathroom. Both. Ways. Spend the extra $ for more leg room or break it into 2 shorter flights.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Jun 2016, 20:24

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 13 Jun 2016, 18:59

My fiance and I want to go to Japan for our honeymoon, so I'm really enjoying these videos too. They're a great way to prepare me for what to expect, things to bring with me, and things to do.
Cybertrash
First Video: Bros Clubbing Bros

Postby Cybertrash » 22 Jun 2016, 13:07

Just came back from a trip to Japan, so looking forward to watching the vids. I was only in Tokyo though, not sure if they travelled there?
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 08 Jul 2016, 15:00

RoboNixon wrote:A lot of their tips are actually super useful, like buying a temp. router, phrase book and rail pass before hand. Tokyo is very western, so almost all the signs are subtitled in English, but can be more trouble the farther out you go.

My tip: If you are flying from the east coast, take a stop over on the west coast. I spent 18 hours from Atlanta to Narita next the bathroom. Both. Ways. Spend the extra $ for more leg room or break it into 2 shorter flights.

Lucky, my return flight was 30 something hours because it had an overnight stop at Seoul-Incheon. Nice airport though for a layover.

Also, If you are on T-mobile you can skip the router, most plans now have international data for free, which is usually at 2g, but japan has no 2g, so you're guarenteed 3g coverage.

Aeralis wrote:My fiance and I want to go to Japan for our honeymoon, so I'm really enjoying these videos too. They're a great way to prepare me for what to expect, things to bring with me, and things to do.

If you don't like sweating and 35c+ temps, avoid June(possibly May) through August.

I lived in Kyoto for a year, so I know the Kansai fairly well...hated Tokyo though...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 13 Jul 2016, 20:12

I'm really loving these videos. The tone and pacing are great. The tidbits of experiences feel genuine and enjoyable. Watching these almost makes me want to travel again... almost.

Graham and Kathleen are such a cute couple. I hope they do more of this type of video. I'd watch stuff from around Victoria too.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 14 Jul 2016, 05:00

This videos are actually superior to most travel shows I have seen. They just seem to have a good instinct as to what to cover/film.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
RoboNixon

Postby RoboNixon » 05 Aug 2016, 15:55

Quite enjoyed Day 10, though it took me a while to watch. I miss Tokyo so thought I would be a little bummed, but it was totally fine. I did repronounce Harajuku out loud every time Graham said it in a more British style :P , and quite enjoyed the train music. Maybe they get to see the Harajuku girls in a later episode, or already saw them last time? I'll tune in to find out.

Return to “General Discussion”