Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby Atifexe » 23 Mar 2016, 15:54

The artifact you're referring to, Tinfish, is Crucible of Worlds. Card Kingdom currently says you'll be parting with between $55 and $70 US if you want a copy.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 23 Mar 2016, 15:58

Crucible of Worlds, from Fifth Dawn. Also see Life from the Loam.

Staying frog-themed is proving difficult, the only not-obvious frog-related card that comes to mind that works with The Gitrog Monster's abilities is Monstrify (relevant art) - if anyone comes across anything, I'd love to know.

Edit: Atifexe got in there before me. And yeah, I guess it's so expensive because of Strip Mine combo?
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 23 Mar 2016, 16:10

Ack. I guess there's SoI's Groundskeeper, who lets you pay to return lands from your graveyard to your hand, but that's about a zillion times less exciting.

I don't think you'd necessarily need to stay frog-themed - it seems more important to cram in anything with landfall and anything that triggers whenever a land leaves play (is there such a thing?). I doubt "frog tribal" is a real thing.
It's fish in a tin!
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 23 Mar 2016, 16:38

Commander is my Vorthos outlet, I always have to stay themed.

The land doesn't even have to leave play, it's whenever one goes into a graveyard from anywhere - the Dredge and Retrace abilities seem particularly good here.
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 23 Mar 2016, 16:49

Oh lordy. Big Gitters is even on-colour for dredge!
It's fish in a tin!
Khador
First Video: Bad news

Postby Khador » 30 Mar 2016, 02:34

Any good cards for an EDH deck that steals control of creatures and perminates currently using Nin the Pain artist for commander.

Currently most cards are either an act of treason effect or a sac/place on bottom of deck for bonus effect but if people can think of something extra that would be a great help.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 30 Mar 2016, 04:47

I don't know how "good" it is, but here's my creature stealing deck design. There's probably a few interesting things there... :P
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 30 Mar 2016, 22:24

I had the same idea, but went in a different direction with it.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/stealing ... s-as-well/
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 03 Apr 2016, 11:38

My single favorite card for stealing creatures is Fool's Demise. It's sneaky, it promotes creature longevity, and it can be used over and over again until someone finds a way to exile it.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 11 Apr 2016, 07:11

So a combination of my own success at prereleases and listening to LRR generally be in favour during TTC, I put together a quick werewolf and friends deck. I don't normally play quite so aggressively as it seems to warrant, so I'd appreciate any advice.

Deck: Werewolf? There Wolf!
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 14 Apr 2016, 11:35

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/you-gotta-clean-up-black-mold-before-it-spreads/
I've made a couple of interesting decks lately, like a few mono-non-creature spell ones, but with this one, I discovered a new infinite combo: Ghave + Utopia Mycon + Cathar's crusade. I gotta say that some of these are really fun.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 16 Apr 2016, 15:55

I don't think I've mentioned it, but I've recently decided to try putting a Captain Sisay deck together. GW is my fave and I really like Legendaries, and the concept of a toolkit EDH deck has interested me since I started playing EDH. Thoughts?
Gildan_Bladeborn

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 26 Apr 2016, 17:36

Antitonic wrote:So a combination of my own success at prereleases and listening to LRR generally be in favour during TTC, I put together a quick werewolf and friends deck. I don't normally play quite so aggressively as it seems to warrant, so I'd appreciate any advice.

Deck: Werewolf? There Wolf!

I have to ask - any particular reason that Convicted Killer, Gatstaf Shepherd, and Village Messenger aren't on your list?

Not running Convicted Killer is a decision I could understand in a vacuum, as that card isn't actually very good, but then neither is Howlpack Wolf outside of limited and they are on your list now, taking up a spot you could have filled with an actual werewolf (albeit an aggressively mediocre one). The other two werewolves you're missing though are both genuinely good cards, so I find their absence even more confusing. I question your commitment to the howlpack sir!

So yeah, I think if you're setting out to build a tribal deck when the tribe consists of 31* total members (not counting the 3 werewolves in black, or changlings), and, unlike certain other tiny tribes which shall remain nameless *cough* samurai *cough, none of that number are actively so bad that it hurts you on the inside even thinking about intentionally putting them in a deck on purpose for any reason, you should really just cut a few random wolves and get the rest in there.

*Now that Shadows over Innistrad is out anyways, back when I first built my Wolfmander deck there were only 19. You have no idea how happy this block has already made me, huzzah.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 26 Apr 2016, 18:55

I noticed that as I was scanning my collection. From memory, I added those three in and cut Darkthicket Wolf, Howlpack Wolf, and Quilled Wolf.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 27 Apr 2016, 20:57

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gluttony-of-the-planes/
So this deck hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped when I made it. I need to figure out some way to increase the number of repeatable token generators while still keeping the curve low. A lot of my recent decks have kind of just fallen into place, while this one is proving difficult.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 04 May 2016, 15:35

Have you considered running food chain? It's 3 mana and lets you cast prossh
as many times as you want by exiling him for mana then using the kobolds to pay the remaining cost and then casting him again. It allows you to build up a huge amount of kobold tokens for either murdering them with prossh or if you have any pump effects the kobolds themselves.
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 26 May 2016, 19:21

Based solely on the cards I have, minus those in my standard deck, here's my WIP Captain Sisay deck!
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-mult ... -crew-wip/

I managed to get myself a copy of Saffi, 8.5 Tails, Reki, Thrun, Elesh Norn, Tolsimir and Avacyn (original) today at the closest "super" LGSs in my region! Wasn't able to get Captain Sisay herself, but that's relatively simple to rectify.
I think I did pretty well on my "haul" yesterday - I also got Wild Pair and Solemn Simulacrum.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 31 May 2016, 13:24

As I going to move to a new country and be a poor student again, I decided to quit standard and try to find a commander group. I came up with this mostly-budget Brago deck based around blinking permanents for value and tempo.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blink-yo ... wo-for-no/
Paladin_Rikaru
First Video: Unskippable-Star Ocean

Postby Paladin_Rikaru » 07 Jun 2016, 20:40

So, as it turns out, Grave Pact+Meren=Rekt Playgroup :P
"If I'm strong of to protect my friends, then it doesn't matter if that makes me the weakest in the world" -Erza Scarlet
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 08 Jun 2016, 06:21

Mazirek is also a good commander for that, because it buffs your team whenever anyone sacrifices ANYTHING.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jun 2016, 20:38

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

DeathNDecay
First Video: I dont remember

Postby DeathNDecay » 20 Jun 2016, 03:56

Hey Guys,
I post pretty infrequently in here, but I thought I'd get some opinions from the LRR magic community with my new iteration of the marchesa deck. I've replaced about 20 cards since the last iteration based on my local meta and new cards that have come out. I would love some constructive criticism to make it even stronger.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-06-15-marchesa-edh/
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 22 Jun 2016, 01:09

DeathNDecay wrote:Hey Guys,
I post pretty infrequently in here, but I thought I'd get some opinions from the LRR magic community with my new iteration of the marchesa deck. I've replaced about 20 cards since the last iteration based on my local meta and new cards that have come out. I would love some constructive criticism to make it even stronger.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-06-15-marchesa-edh/

Your manabase is maybe too good, consider some basics to play around nonbasic hate and to get some value out of an opponent's Path to Exile or Ghost Quarter. Depending on how often you're getting counters on Marchesa, Command Beacon might be redundant.

It seems like you're going for a mixture of singularly powerful cards and +1/+1 counter synergy? If you're inclined more to the former, a few more control elements would be good, especially ways to deal with equipment. If inclined more to the latter, the Arcbound creatures are a solid base to start comboing off of.

And whilst not dependant on Marchesa, she is certainly a commander that very effectively supports the Sage of Fables + Glen Elendra Archmage / Puppeteer Clique combo, (if you wanted to be mean).
DeathNDecay
First Video: I dont remember

Postby DeathNDecay » 24 Jun 2016, 14:30

Your manabase is maybe too good, consider some basics to play around nonbasic hate and to get some value out of an opponent's Path to Exile or Ghost Quarter. Depending on how often you're getting counters on Marchesa, Command Beacon might be redundant.

It seems like you're going for a mixture of singularly powerful cards and +1/+1 counter synergy? If you're inclined more to the former, a few more control elements would be good, especially ways to deal with equipment. If inclined more to the latter, the Arcbound creatures are a solid base to start comboing off of.

And whilst not dependant on Marchesa, she is certainly a commander that very effectively supports the Sage of Fables + Glen Elendra Archmage / Puppeteer Clique combo, (if you wanted to be mean).

Hey Fantome. My commander group has a few house rules agreed upon to make sure none of us rage quit. One of those rules is no land hate. The second of those rules is no infinite combos.

That being said, since there is no land hate I'm pretty happy about my land base. Command beacon might be redundant but I need more playtesting to figure it out. Command beacon is definitely the first land on the chopping block in case a better one comes out.

Thanks for the suggestion of the arcbound creatures. I forgot about modular and that might be a good option going forward. I find that with commander, creatures don't stick to the board unless marchesa is out.

The Sage of Fables + Glen Elendra Archmage / Puppeteer Clique combo is something I had thought about running, but I find that even with so many tutors it was still hard to get the combo out and working. I had the combo in but removed it after testing.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 04 Jul 2016, 19:07

EMN spoiler: Ishkanah as a "jam all the spiders into a deck" commander is a rare case of me being okay with just jamming stuff in, because SPIDERS.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”